Author Topic: Recommended Books?  (Read 179507 times)

Re: Recommended Books?
« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2009, 07:03:56 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Once again, I have to plug Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar series.

John Conelly's Harry Bosch series is good, as is John Sandford's Lucas Davenport series (The Prey series).

« Reply #121 on: June 03, 2009, 07:14:04 PM »

Offline POBstuntin

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 17
Naked by David Sedaris

Seven Seconds or Less by Jack MacCallum

Live from New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live by Tom Shales and James Miller

Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger

The Myron Bolitar Series by Harlan Coben (Ex-Duke basketball star turned detective, pretty sweet and easy series)

Loose Balls by Terry Pluto

High Fidelity
by Nick Hornby

First time I saw this thread, I'm filling up an Amazon cart now, some really good stuff on the list.  We have to be one of the more literate sport boards on the web.  

« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2009, 07:14:53 PM »

Offline POBstuntin

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 17
Once again, I have to plug Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar series.

John Conelly's Harry Bosch series is good, as is John Sandford's Lucas Davenport series (The Prey series).

Haha, you literally posted that while I was doing the same.  Great books. 

« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2009, 07:17:59 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
You really like "The Great Gatsby"?

Can I ask why? (Not sarcastically) I've had to read it twice (abet years ago), and I could not stand the prose alone.

Haha I was under the assumption everybody likes The Great Gatsby... I really enjoy the dialogue between the characters, it's very sarcastic and snobby yet intelligent. It reminds me of watching Frasier(Which is one of my favorite television shows). I suppose I can see why some people would not like the book. I think having to read it and wanting to read are two very different things though. For instance, I had to read Animal Farm for school and absolutely hated it. I read it again a couple years later and a tad bit wiser and I found it to be remarkable. Perhaps you should reread The Great Gatsby you could see things you missed and end up liking it...

I don't know I've never really thought about why I like certain books. Books are very different from movies, it's difficult to describe. I mean, as you can see I like books that are on the absolute opposite end of the spectrum from other books I like. I really enjoy reading the bible and take it very seriously yet I can also enjoy reading Tucker Max's childish, yet very adult, humor in I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell.

« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2009, 07:20:52 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
You really like "The Great Gatsby"?

Can I ask why? (Not sarcastically) I've had to read it twice (abet years ago), and I could not stand the prose alone.

Haha I was under the assumption everybody likes The Great Gatsby... I really enjoy the dialogue between the characters, it's very sarcastic and snobby yet intelligent. It reminds me of watching Frasier(Which is one of my favorite television shows). I suppose I can see why some people would not like the book. I think having to read it and wanting to read are two very different things though. For instance, I had to read Animal Farm for school and absolutely hated it. I read it again a couple years later and a tad bit wiser and I found it to be remarkable. Perhaps you should reread The Great Gatsby you could see things you missed and end up liking it...

I don't know I've never really thought about why I like certain books. Books are very different from movies, it's difficult to describe. I mean, as you can see I like books that are on the absolute opposite end of the spectrum from other books I like. I really enjoy reading the bible and take it very seriously yet I can also enjoy reading Tucker Max's childish, yet very adult, humor in I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell.

See that's why I asked and why I hoped you answered...correct in that I had to read it, once in highschool and once in college...and I think you're right. I HAD to read Ethan Frome in highschool, but then I decided to take a class in college that I knew required me to read it and found it very interesting. I wouldn't say I liked it, I would say I appreciated it. Maybe being forced to read something imbues you with a sense of resentment towards the whole ordeal.

I got some time, maybe I will read it instead of re-playing Fallout.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2009, 07:26:55 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
A Thousand Splendid Suns and Kite Runner.
by Khaled Hosseini

Two awesome books, the first one id disturbing but good.
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2009, 08:10:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
For those interested A Dance With Dragons has a release date on amazon.com of September 29, 2009. This is contingent upon Martin finishing the book sometime before the end of this month. Here is where the book will first be announced as being finished, it's from Martin's personal site:

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

If you don't see a update announcing the book's completion by July 4th, expect another push back on the release date, probably to sometime in 2010.

Here's the US cover:

Also this is a cool tidbit from the asoiaf.westeros.org site:

Book Six will be called The Winds of Winter. No information is known on it other than that George plans to have all the characters back together in one novel. Book Seven will be called A Dream of Spring and is currently planned to be the final book in the series.

« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2009, 08:19:33 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
A Thousand Splendid Suns and Kite Runner.
by Khaled Hosseini

Two awesome books, the first one id disturbing but good.

Did not enjoy the Kite Runner when I read it for school. However I do own it and perhaps I should reread it. By the way what a coincidence I happen to be in the middle of the movie right now.

That reminds me... Another book I read in school that was recently made into a film. Into The Wild... Excellent book, and movie.

« Reply #128 on: June 03, 2009, 08:43:52 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
For those interested A Dance With Dragons has a release date on amazon.com of September 29, 2009. This is contingent upon Martin finishing the book sometime before the end of this month. Here is where the book will first be announced as being finished, it's from Martin's personal site:

If you don't see a update announcing the book's completion by July 4th, expect another push back on the release date, probably to sometime in 2010.

Here's the US cover:

Book Six will be called The Winds of Winter. No information is known on it other than that George plans to have all the characters back together in one novel. Book Seven will be called A Dream of Spring and is currently planned to be the final book in the series.

Saw that Nick.  I like that he has plans for 7 books to match the 7 gods.

The thing that's killing me with the 4th book are all of the new characters he's introducing, when I'm 500 pages in and I haven't heard a thing about some of my favorite characters.

BTW, I think my favorite chapters so far were involving the battle at the Wall.
Yup

« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2009, 08:47:50 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
About a year ago someone recommended the Song of Ice & Fire series by George martin on here.  I'm about 2500 pages into it (3rd book).  I've been pecking away at for months now.  Really enjoying the journey.  The guy has an amazing brain.  I have a fourth book in the series rady to go.  martin's working on the 5th in the series now, and it appears there will be 7, when all is said and done.  Seven is very symbollic in the series, so it would make some sense if he cuts it off at 7.

That was me, on page three of this thread, about 8 months ago... I'm glad you took my advice, everyone I've offered the first book too, or have told about it that has gone on to read it fell in love.

I agree that the 4th is by far the worst, mainly because of time constraints and Martin's choice to chop the book in half and make it a "south" book, and book 5 the "north" book.

Dance with Dragons comes out this year soon, I hope.  But until then pick up Robin Hobb's Liveship Trader trilogy or her Farseer trilogy.  Both incredibly good... take place in the same world... after those 6 books there is 3 more that take place in the same world with the same characters but roughly 25 years after those events.  The story is just incredible...

I could use a bit of a break from this series probably.  I have a bunch of books piled up that I'd like to get to, but haven't been able to tear myself away from the Martin books.

Adencourt, is Bernard Cornwell's latest/  I love hos stuff but I read some reviews that were kind of what I started to fear with him - he's getting formulaic, and a lot of his charcters in different series are starting show similar qualities.
Yup

« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2009, 09:10:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Here's the US cover:

The thing that's killing me with the 4th book are all of the new characters he's introducing, when I'm 500 pages in and I haven't heard a thing about some of my favorite characters.

I loved the Aria becoming an assassin storyline and everything and anything to do with Tyrion, Daenyrys and Jon. The whole Iron Islands story, while relevant and needed to tie up all the knots, bored the hell out of me.

« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2009, 09:12:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Oh, and by the end of AFOC Jamie Lannister is one of my favorite characters going forward whereas, I hate him for the better part of three books.

« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2009, 09:21:12 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
newest books I've finished (for fun, not class)

The Paradox of Choice: Why More is Less - excellent look at the super complex world we live in and why it actually makes us unhappy - if you've ever been "paralyzed by choice" this book is for you

The Dumbest Generation - a statistical analysis of those under 30, and how their plugging in has really led them to tune out and not achieve at the levels the older generations have.  Also looks at why these kids don't only not want to read, but actually detest it - scary stuff

Faking It - more for college aged people, basically a social ediquitte guide for Gen Xers (or Gen Y?) or Millenials?  But its full of humor and actually has some decent advice as well

and working on:

The Narcissism Epidemic - very good so far, looks at the growing problem with (again) youth and their self perception.  One thing I've learned so far is that the myth that narcissistic people are insecure deep down is generally false - they are really secure, and therefore do think they're better than everyone else.

Also started a book called Why Choose This Book, but its meh so far

For class: None are reccomended, but if you like Medeival History: Leon Battista Alberti: Master Builder of the Italian Renaissance (finished it today), and John Albertin's From the Brink of the Apocalypse - basically about the plague, the 100 years war, etc. (actually writing this post made me do something to change my book review, reminded me of a point about the Alberti book - score!)
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #133 on: June 03, 2009, 09:41:44 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Here's the US cover:

I loved the Aria becoming an assassin storyline and everything and anything to do with Tyrion, Daenyrys and Jon. The whole Iron Islands story, while relevant and needed to tie up all the knots, bored the hell out of me.

Yup, those are definitely my favorites too. I think the younger characters in general are more compelling.
Yup

« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2009, 09:42:53 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Oh, and by the end of AFOC Jamie Lannister is one of my favorite characters going forward whereas, I hate him for the better part of three books.

Yeh, he's seen the light!

I think he and Brienne should hook up! (she's awesome too)
Yup