Author Topic: Window is Closed!!  (Read 6734 times)

Re: Window is Closed!!
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 10:36:14 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
I would like to see KG and Paul retire in Celtics green. I also think they wouldn't bring back much, due to their big contracts.

As crazy as this may sound, I think there is still a chance for another title, but as Roy said, the chances are small. I think the means of making this happen are quite narrow, and look something like this (everything I'm saying here has been mentioned elsewhere, but I think it's all accurate, and constitutes my best guess for a "formula for success"):

1) Acquire a legit center. This doesn't have to be an All-Star, but someone who is at least defensively competent and can block a few shots. My preference is Gortat, but even someone such as Mozgov could be enough.

2) Keep Avery Bradley at all costs. Defense wins titles, especially for this franchise, and AB is the best there is on the perimeter. Him, combined with a legit defensive C, will go a long way, I think.

3) Define roles once and for all. Make Jet part of the bench, and its primary offensive weapon, giving him freedom to freelance. Make Bass and Sully a permanent part of the bench. Give Green consistent minutes, and don't play him at the 4.

I agree that if this team makes some adjustments, they still have a run left in them. But can I ask a question? What is the fascination with wanting to see Pierce or KG "retire as a Celtic."

I like both guys but they can retire with the North Dakota Bingo Players for all I care. I want to see championships hoisted in Beantown. Let's worry about the retirement ceremonies, later.

I want to retire in Honolulu, Hawaii with a bikini clad chick on each arm, doesn't mean it's going to happen nor is it something I should emotionally invest myself in.

I want to retire with my family who has raised me for decades. The family that has been with me through my ups and downs, but was loyal to me to the very end.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 10:38:03 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
I would like to see KG and Paul retire in Celtics green. I also think they wouldn't bring back much, due to their big contracts.

As crazy as this may sound, I think there is still a chance for another title, but as Roy said, the chances are small. I think the means of making this happen are quite narrow, and look something like this (everything I'm saying here has been mentioned elsewhere, but I think it's all accurate, and constitutes my best guess for a "formula for success"):

1) Acquire a legit center. This doesn't have to be an All-Star, but someone who is at least defensively competent and can block a few shots. My preference is Gortat, but even someone such as Mozgov could be enough.

2) Keep Avery Bradley at all costs. Defense wins titles, especially for this franchise, and AB is the best there is on the perimeter. Him, combined with a legit defensive C, will go a long way, I think.

3) Define roles once and for all. Make Jet part of the bench, and its primary offensive weapon, giving him freedom to freelance. Make Bass and Sully a permanent part of the bench. Give Green consistent minutes, and don't play him at the 4.

I agree that if this team makes some adjustments, they still have a run left in them. But can I ask a question? What is the fascination with wanting to see Pierce or KG "retire as a Celtic."

I like both guys but they can retire with the North Dakota Bingo Players for all I care. I want to see championships hoisted in Beantown. Let's worry about the retirement ceremonies, later.

I want to retire in Honolulu, Hawaii with a bikini clad chick on each arm, doesn't mean it's going to happen nor is it something I should emotionally invest myself in.

Ha! Nice last sentence.

As for your question, I agree with you that banners are what matter most. Still, I think some loyalty is nice, though I wouldn't want any loyalty to be crippling to the team. At any rate, I'm not sure it's really an issue in this case, because I'm not convinced Boston could get anything of real value for either Pierce or KG, because both contracts are pretty big.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 11:10:21 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
As fans, we should demand the best, not let our cheap front office swindle us and let them sell us "a bag of goods."

The Celtics have had one of the highest payrolls in the NBA in recent years.  If you think they're cheap, I'm not sure that you understand the limitations of the salary cap / luxury tax / CBA.  The team has realistically spent everything it could spend.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 11:12:50 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
this is the only window closed

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 11:30:58 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I can't say for sure that the window is closed.  I can't say that it's open.

But I can say that I've read about closed windows more than once over the last 4 years.

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 12:08:23 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
lol

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 12:37:18 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
The window is closed, and there's only a small chance that it can be reopened.

There are worse things than watching Hall of Fame players play out their twilight years, though.  I have no interest in trading Paul or KG.  We're likely to be mediocre at best for the next five years.  That being the case, I'd rather be mediocre with Celtics legends.

I understand what you are saying Roy, however I disagree for this reason. That is what we did last time with Bird, Kevin, and Chief. We were no longer competitive and instead of using their contracts to improve the team we "watched" these Hall of Famers deteriorate rapidly before our eyes. We got bad basketball, lost all of our options to move them to bring in young talent, and caused a 20 year slump in the cellar. I am no longer willing to have a 20 year slump in order to watch Paul and KG play a level of basketball that is not good enough to get past the first round of the playoffs. We are not a destination for tier 1 free agents, so our only way to become contenders again is to do it through the draft or free agency. We will be good enough so that we won't get anyone in the draft to build around, and soon we won't have any chips to trade worth anything. I was willing to watch Bird fade away, however I am sorry but Pierce and KG don't have that level of loyalty for me. It isn't worth 20 more years of the cellar.

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 12:45:28 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
The window is closed, and there's only a small chance that it can be reopened.

There are worse things than watching Hall of Fame players play out their twilight years, though.  I have no interest in trading Paul or KG.  We're likely to be mediocre at best for the next five years.  That being the case, I'd rather be mediocre with Celtics legends.

Tp, I couldn't find the words, but you did.

Also I feel trading Jeff Green would be better for the future than trading Pierce. Jeff Green has what's called a regret contract. It will only find value when he's an expiring. The best thing we can do is get rid of it before teams realize it's cap poison.

Sorry, but I think that Paul's contract, and KG's for that matter, at this point are more of regret contracts than Jeff's. Jeff is basically producing the same thing on the floor that Paul is. They are both shooting about the same percentage from the floor (although Paul is slightly higher). Paul is playing twice the minutes and has about twice the numbers. Statistics point to the fact that if the roles were reversed that Green would be doing about the same. The difference is that Paul is clearly on the way out, and that Green can be our future. I think with more consistent minutes Green's numbers would improve.

It's time to turn this over to the future and trade Paul if we can. If we can't, then he needs to be coming off the bench.

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 01:12:56 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Paul Pierce could have left this team, but he played through a bunch of bad years and remained loyal. KG came here and brought this team a championship and basically signed his last contract to finish his career as a Celtic. As a season ticket holder, I 100 percent support letting these guys finish their careers here in Boston.

As for Jeff Green, he will be a guy who has great potential until he retires.

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 02:19:43 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
No matter what happens the day that P double isnt in a celtics uniform a tear is gonna come from my eye.

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2013, 04:34:51 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'm not willing to say the window is closed. I am willing to say we're struggling. I heard this same stuff last year when we were struggling. I think we just need to get some things in order.

I also don't think we're trading any of the big-3 this year but if we do it won't be Paul or KG. That is just my take. Quote me.

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2013, 05:34:40 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Whilst on the topic of Paul Pierce, at the moment he's ranked 23rd on the all time NBA scorer's list with 23,189 total points.

Judas Shuttlesworth is presently ranked 22nd with 23,261 total points.

There's only 72 points between them, so it looks like Paul should be moving on up the all time scorer's list some time soon.

Just saying ... ;D

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2013, 06:04:48 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
the window isnt closed. our core can still ball. its the people around our core that arent performing at all.

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2013, 06:14:38 AM »

Kiorrik

... but I disagree :]

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2013, 08:00:22 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
What is the fascination with wanting to see Pierce or KG "retire as a Celtic."

KG has a no trade-clause so he is retiring as a Celtic.  I can't see where he would approve a trade to.

PP is a Celtic legend, not to say other Celtic legends haven't left to other teams but he doesn't want to go anywhere else.