Author Topic: Draft rumors from Bleacher Report  (Read 2491 times)

Draft rumors from Bleacher Report
« on: September 28, 2020, 07:01:52 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m not a big fan of Bleacher Report, but we don’t have much to root for right now, so...

According to a Western Conference executive, word around the league is Minnesota isn't leaning one way at No. 1, sounds "confused" and feels pressure after "messing up last year by trading for Jarrett Culver."

The belief is that Minnesota's priority is to trade, realistically down the board assuming an established star won't become available. If the Wolves stick at No. 1, multiple sources say they'd bet on LaMelo Ball having the edge over Anthony Edwards.

Teams are worried about Edwards' drive and enthusiasm for winning, and according to a source, the Golden State Warriors aren't a likely landing spot due to these concerns.

Despite media projections and upside that everyone acknowledges, he has a shaky reputation within NBA circles. Dion Waiters has been used by skeptics as a comparison or low-end outcome for Edwards, an inefficient scorer at Georgia whose Bulldogs finished 13 of 14 teams in the SEC.

Scouts and executives have mentioned that his teams haven't won at any level, and that he even forgets plays and actions.

Bleacher Report has talked with multiple scouts who've moved Okongwu over Wiseman.

Teams are having a tough time identifying the obvious NBA talent in this draft. Worried about misevaluating it, they could feel more confident in drafting a player who makes good decisions, competes and brings a positive presence to their locker room—even if they don't possess appetizing upside.

Based on where certain prospects stack up on most draft boards around the league, overvaluing intangibles seems to be a strategy shared by other organizations.

Okoro and Haliburton stand out as the posterboys for this conversation. Both are projected 10 picks and perimeter players who averaged fewer than 17.0 points per 40 minutes.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Draft rumors from Bleacher Report
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 07:06:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
My positive input on this topic is that this seems like a good year to have a pick at the end of the lottery.

Chances are that at least one guy will fall into that range who would have gone much higher if the NCAA tournament had not been cancelled and teams had gotten the opportunity to do normal combine / workouts etc.

Here's hoping Ainge identifies and targets a guy like that.

Based on recent draft history I would say that it's hard to go wrong drafting guys on Kentucky who are really young and maybe didn't play a huge role at the college level.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 08:14:01 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
My positive input on this topic is that this seems like a good year to have a pick at the end of the lottery.

Chances are that at least one guy will fall into that range who would have gone much higher if the NCAA tournament had not been cancelled and teams had gotten the opportunity to do normal combine / workouts etc.

Based on recent draft history I would say that it's hard to go wrong drafting guys on Kentucky who are really young and maybe didn't play a huge role at the college level.
The question is will this pick be an actual contributor? We already have too many young guys in the roster and needed to be consolidated for experienced pieces.

Danny tends to draft unpolished player with high potential than NBA ready role players.

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 08:25:17 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

The question is will this pick be an actual contributor? We already have too many young guys in the roster and needed to be consolidated for experienced pieces.

Danny tends to draft unpolished player with high potential than NBA ready role players.
Draft for upside.  NBA role players can be acquired in free agency and trades.  Unfortunately Ainge didn't learn that soon enough (Olynyk over Giannis). 

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 08:42:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

would that include James Young?

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 08:48:25 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Draft for upside.  NBA role players can be acquired in free agency and trades.  Unfortunately Ainge didn't learn that soon enough (Olynyk over Giannis).

I generally like this strategy. Danny obviously hit home runs with Al Jefferson and Rondo. While he has picked a number of solid players through the years, the well has really run dry on his high upside picks in the teens and lower in the last decade plus in terms of reaching stardom. One of them is bound to hit eventually - heck, maybe it is TL or Romeo. We are lucky to have an incredible foundation to build off of in Tatum and Brown and the future is bright regardless of what happens with this year's picks.

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 09:30:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

would that include James Young?

Unfortunately, yeah.

I was thinking about booker, bam, and herro.

But you're right that it's hardly a foolproof or absolute concept.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain