Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Eastern Semi Finals: Indiana(1) vs Atlanta(4)  (Read 96899 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Eastern Semi Finals: Indiana(1) vs Atlanta(4)
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 08:28:51 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I just dont see how Atlanta looses this one. Indy has the Durant star power but that Hawks starting lineup is just too good. Lopez/Scola wont be able to protect the rim with strong finishers like Wade and Pierce and a bruiser down low in Boozer.

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 08:33:27 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I just dont see how Atlanta looses this one. Indy has the Durant star power but that Hawks starting lineup is just too good. Lopez/Scola wont be able to protect the rim with strong finishers like Wade and Pierce and a bruiser down low in Boozer.

From the sounds of it, the hawks have the star power and the Pacers are full of players getting no respect.  Boozer, Nene, Pierce are all good names but their game has really fallen off.

I hate to bring this up, but pierce shot 36% in the playoffs last year and averaged 5.3 apg and 5.3 turnovers per game.  Can somebody convince me why he would do better against durant?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 08:37:07 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I think Durant is going to kill Pierce. Wear him down with his offense on one end and use his length to cause Pierce problems on the other end.

I think Pierce is too old to handle Durant on both ends of the floor for 35-40mpg.

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 08:41:14 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

From the sounds of it, the hawks have the star power and the Pacers are full of players getting no respect.  Boozer, Nene, Pierce are all good names but their game has really fallen off.

I hate to bring this up, but pierce shot 36% in the playoffs last year and averaged 5.3 apg and 5.3 turnovers per game.  Can somebody convince me why he would do better against durant?

im not disagreeing with u regarding pierce, but his turnovers need to be put in perspective.  he was playing the point a lot.

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 08:44:19 AM »

fitzhickey

pierce will be eaten up a bit by durant
but so will the lockdown defender ray allen by wade
I think it's a star dominated matchup

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 08:45:16 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'd be surprised if Indy gets more than a game or two.  Atlanta seems like the far superior team.

Lopez/Scola will get murdered.  Not to mention Wade will have a field day their weak SG's.

I find it funny that you seem to comment so much in definitives when your actually 100% wrong

I really don't see the need to be so snarky and condescending.

As for my "stating things in definitives", what's your point?  Opinions are inherently subjective in nature (which is what this entire game seems to be about) and your darn right I am firm in my opinions.  And stats never tell the whole story, despite the fact you seem to be so hung up on them.  For a game that deals in such abstracts, simply using any one stat or individual comparisons based on real life teams completely ignores the composition of the rosters we're dealing with in this "game of make believe".  It's far more nuanced than that, IMHO.

I accept the the fact not everyone will agree with me, and you are certainly entitled to disagree with anything or everything I state.   The least you could do is respect that others might just see things differently, instead of making snarky comments.  By my count, this is twice now you've essentially made things personal (towards me) when there is no reason to take it there.

This is supposed to be fun (yes competitive too), but honestly, you've somehow managed to take a little of the fun out of it from my perspective.  Anyways, I've said enough on the matter, and will now go back to trying to enjoy the remainder of this game, even as an "outsider" from here on out.

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 08:48:36 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

im not disagreeing with u regarding pierce, but his turnovers need to be put in perspective.  he was playing the point a lot.

I agree, though one of the things that I have always loved about Pierce was the way that he could contribute in all ways, not just scoring, but passing, rebounding, defending, getting to the line etc.

In the playoffs last year it was clear that he can't be asked to do those things at star level anymore. 

He shot 36% from the field, 26% from three.  Watching it I knew it was bad, but I didnt know it was that bad until I went back and looked at the numbers.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 08:50:40 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think Durant is going to kill Pierce. Wear him down with his offense on one end and use his length to cause Pierce problems on the other end.

I think Pierce is too old to handle Durant on both ends of the floor for 35-40mpg.

Durant vs. Pierce is a lot closer than Wade vs. Ray Allen, though, right?

Also, is Durant vs. Pierce such a mismatch?

Since 2012, here are their point totals in H2H matchups:

Durant 28, Pierce 24
Durant 28, Pierce 23
Durant 29, Pierce 27
Durant 23, Pierce 20

So, on average, Durant outscores Pierce by 3 to 4 points.  Plus, Pierce has shot 50% or more in three of those games; Durant shot 45% or below in all of the games.

It's going to take a lot more than that for Indy to win this series.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 08:51:37 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I'd be surprised if Indy gets more than a game or two.  Atlanta seems like the far superior team.

Lopez/Scola will get murdered.  Not to mention Wade will have a field day their weak SG's.

I find it funny that you seem to comment so much in definitives when your actually 100% wrong

I really don't see the need to be so snarky and condescending.

As for my "stating things in definitives", what's your point?  Opinions are inherently subjective in nature (which is what this entire game seems to be about) and your darn right I am firm in my opinions.  And stats never tell the whole story, despite the fact you seem to be so hung up on them.  For a game that deals in such abstracts, simply using any one stat or individual comparisons based on real life teams completely ignores the composition of the rosters we're dealing with in this "game of make believe".  It's far more nuanced than that, IMHO.

I accept the the fact not everyone will agree with me, and you are certainly entitled to disagree with anything or everything I state.   The least you could do is respect that others might just see things differently, instead of making snarky comments.  By my count, this is twice now you've essentially made things personal (towards me) when there is no reason to take it there.

This is supposed to be fun (yes competitive too), but honestly, you've somehow managed to take a little of the fun out of it from my perspective.  Anyways, I've said enough on the matter, and will now go back to trying to enjoy the remainder of this game, even as an "outsider" from here on out.

I didnt mean to be snarky or condescending, so im sorry if it came accross like that.  Just wanted to point out that your comment about my frontline being "Murdered" was not based in any sort of fact or analysis. 

I'm sorry you think im making the game less fun, but I think asserting that my frontline would be murdered without any statistical or analytical backing doesnt bring anything to the discussion

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 08:55:01 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Very tough series for Ray Allen. Can't use him against D-Wade. Or Pierce.

I think Stuckey has to be the secondary defender on Wade when Jeff Taylor goes to the bench. Deron Williams would be my third choice defender. I wouldn't dare put Ray Allen or Marvin Williams (too slow especially coming off achilles injury) on D-Wade though.

I think you can match Ray Allen up against Randy Foye but that puts a small cap on his minutes. Not sure whether I would use Ray Allen against G.Henderson or not. Or just keep Marvin vs Gerald.

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 08:55:37 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Durant 28, Pierce 24
Durant 28, Pierce 23
Durant 29, Pierce 27
Durant 23, Pierce 20

So, on average, Durant outscores Pierce by 3 to 4 points.  Plus, Pierce has shot 50% or more in three of those games; Durant shot 45% or below in all of the games.

I'm thinking of how Pierce has gotten worn down by LBJ though over the course of the playoff series though. They had to move Bass over to him as he was getting worn down and tired, his team defense and close outs were suffering.

LBJ is tougher than Durant to match up with, but he's the next toughest SF in the league. And if you're slow to close out on Durant he'll kill you with jumpers.

Who's the other wing option defensively, to give Pierce a blow so he can rest a bit on D?

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 08:56:52 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Gerald Henderson and Foye are the backup wings that'd otherwise guard Durant based on the rosters then?

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 09:00:59 AM »

fitzhickey

Durant 28, Pierce 24
Durant 28, Pierce 23
Durant 29, Pierce 27
Durant 23, Pierce 20

I'm thinking of how Pierce has gotten worn down by LBJ though over the course of the playoff series though. They had to move Bass over to him as he was getting worn down and tired, his team defense and close outs were suffering.

LBJ is tougher than Durant to match up with, but he's the next toughest SF in the league. And if you're slow to close out on Durant he'll kill you with jumpers.

Who's the other wing option defensively, to give Pierce a blow so he can rest a bit on D?
LBJ's physical abilities are what got to pierce
durant is more of a skill based player.
still a very tough matchup though

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 09:01:12 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Durant 28, Pierce 24
Durant 28, Pierce 23
Durant 29, Pierce 27
Durant 23, Pierce 20

Yep, I think doing it game after game in a seven game playoff series is very different for an older player like Paul Pierce when matching up against a young stud like Kevin Durant. A two way player who can play 40+mpg and will bear one of the largest loads offensively of any star in the league. Who will put him under constant pressure.

That pressure Pierce is going to be under is huge. Wear and tear. I don't think he is going to hold up against it. I think he'll slow down as the series goes on and Durant will just keep getting stronger and stronger.

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2013, 09:02:40 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Durant 28, Pierce 24
Durant 28, Pierce 23
Durant 29, Pierce 27
Durant 23, Pierce 20

To follow up on this.  Following the Pierce and Durant matchups this year, Pierce was given a game off after one matchup and went into a 6 game skid where he averaged 39% fg shooting and 23% shooting from 3 after the other matchup. 

In a playoff series where pierce has to go up against durant every night I think he will get worn down.  Its clear pierce can get up for a game every once in a while but I don't think he can do it night in night out.