Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Eastern First Round: New York(2) vs Boston(7)  (Read 96328 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Eastern First Round: New York(2) vs Boston(7)
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2013, 11:07:50 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
You guys don't know this, but there was an agreed upon trade between Boston and NYK that just didnt work out but would've sent Splitter and Gallo to NY for Sanders and something else, and that's after HOURS and probably dozens of trade proposals from me. Huge fan of Sanders.

But really think he's being poorly utilized here. The man is a center, needs a stretch 4 next to him.

Its funny, cause when I went to check his stats for the first time during the draft time I was shocked to see him listed as a center. Dude can easily play either position especially next to a center like Lopez who can step out and hit the jumper from the elbows and the baseline.

The offense is fine next to Lopez. The defense is even more intimidating and formidable next to Lopez.

« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2013, 11:19:08 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think that if you don't force Sanders out of the paint, and force him out of position as a help defender, that Sanders/Lopez setup works.

But Sanders best asset is when you can hide him on a sub-par offensive player and let him wreak havoc as a help defender. He's similar to Joakim Noah in that regard. When you slap Noah on Howard full time, he kinda falls apart. But give him Perkins, or Asik, and Noah is borderline the most impactful player on the court.

If I do lose this matchup, you should read this:

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/The%20Dwight%20Effect%20A%20New%20Ensemble%20of%20Interior%20Defense%20Analytics%20for%20the%20NBA.pdf

Sanders is the guy Ibaka is supposed to be. The best rim protector in the NBA.

It's also why I stuck with Gallo at the 4 when Sanders is there. It's my best honest attempt at discussing what I saw as the elephant in the room, and neutralizing it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2013, 01:13:48 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You guys don't know this, but there was an agreed upon trade between Boston and NYK that just didnt work out but would've sent Splitter and Gallo to NY for Sanders and something else, and that's after HOURS and probably dozens of trade proposals from me. Huge fan of Sanders.

But really think he's being poorly utilized here. The man is a center, needs a stretch 4 next to him.
I agree with this and think Sanders at the 5 next to Pau would have been great. Pau work the top of the key to perfection in the triangle with Kobe. Put him there and sanders down low and on defense let sanders be the defensive center he is. I don't like him at the 4 but with Lopez and ZBo, it works. Lopez and pass and sanders goes to the center spot playing alongside Randolph.

« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2013, 07:25:06 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Its funny, cause when I went to check his stats for the first time during the draft time I was shocked to see him listed as a center. Dude can easily play either position especially next to a center like Lopez who can step out and hit the jumper from the elbows and the baseline.

The offense is fine next to Lopez. The defense is even more intimidating and formidable next to Lopez.

Until last season, Larry Sanders was always a much more effective player as a PF than at the C position. He struggled too much in knowing how to play effective team defense to be the main defensive anchor (headless chicken kind of way) + was regularly overwhelmed physically despite his impressive physical traits (didn't know how to use his body well enough, still doesn't but better than he was).

L.Sanders needed to play alongside a bigger body who was a fundamentally sound team defender and main communicator so that Larry Sanders was freed up to roam around on defense. Sorta like Ibaka with Perkins only more severe. Unfortunately, given L.Sanders offensive limitations and lack of MIL's viable options at center to place alongside him, that meant his playing time was minimized.

In his first two years, when Larry Sanders was used as a center it almost always spelled disaster for the Milwaukee Bucks. Such a large liability.

Very impressive how much he has turned it around in one year.