Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Central Division Press Conferences  (Read 117415 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Central Division Press Conferences
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2013, 10:51:31 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
So it'll be more business as usual for Hoford rather than improved performance -- which is generally what is argued when Horford is listed as PF in these CB Leagues.

Even if it is business as usual, Horford's still an All-Star. And KG will take some of the burden off of him on the defensive end, which could translate into extra energy on the offensive end.

Really the two are interchangeable. Horford's listed as a PF/C and KG as a C/PF in my presser. It all comes down to the matchups. In some cases, Horford will end up with a smaller guy on him, in which case he will have improved performance. Otherwise, he'll just keep putting up 17/10/3 on you.

Some people have made the argument that Horford would see increased minutes at PF. I've really just been expecting him to do what he does throughout this whole process, and I'm very okay with that.

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2013, 10:52:40 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Cleveland: If Odom comes back, can you trust him to share the rock?

...sorry, in poor taste.  Real question: You have Caron Butler slated for 30 MPG.  The last 3 seasons that he played around that amount (09-10 - 11-12) were among his worst - shooting and defense seemed to suffer, and injuries cost him most of the 10-11 season.  Whereas last year he seemed to hold up much better in 24 mpg.  Are you confident he can remain healthy and effective at 30 mpg this year, and what about your team makes you believe so?

Har har very funny.

I'll say it again: all minutes are an approximation, but that is a good point about Butler. He really did improve last season. I personally believe that our system is quite similar to the Clippers 1-3: a top-tier PG, defending SG, Jamal off the bench, and Caron. We have the added bonus of the floor spreading from Horford and KG over Blake and DeAndre. This will just take some of the offensive burden off of Caron and allow him to be more judicious and effective. But as far as minutes goes, Lionel will make the call as to whether he'd be more effective in less minutes, and maybe play Wallace alongside Crawford more.

This is one of my biggest concerns about your team - your SF rotation has 2 very physical, aggressive guys in their 30s, who seem to be wearing down, both overall and over the course of the season.  With TA showing some early warning signs that he might be heading the same way, and the need to preserve KG, regular season minutes management is going to be a tough line to walk. 

Overall it is a very well-constructed team and a strong contender in the East, though.  Most likely my pick for division champs.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:59:07 AM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2013, 10:56:47 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
This is one of my biggest concerns about your team - your SF rotation has 2 very physical, aggressive guys in their 30s, who seem to be wearing down, both overall and over the course of the season.  With TA showing some early warning signs that he might be heading the same way, and the need to preserve KG, regular season minutes management is going to be a tough line to walk. 

Overall it is a very well-constructed team and a strong contender in the East, though. 

Yes, it is going to be a tough line, but we trust Lionel with those decisions. He's taken a team into the playoffs before, and we have no doubts he can do it with this team.

And thank you, I certainly put a lot of thought into the construction and fit of the team

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2013, 10:58:52 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
Who: I will add this. When Landry is on the floor, some teams may see fit to put their center on him. His ability to operate down low is extremely good for a backup PF. He's not just an afterthought in matchups; he's someone you have to gameplan for.

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2013, 10:59:36 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
To Indiana: Who is Jeff Taylor?
Quietly the most effective perimeter player in Charlotte last season.

Not MKG Not Kemba Walker. Not Gerald Henderson. Not Ramon Sessions. Jeff Taylor.

Sorry, I should explain my claim. Why I consider Jeff Taylor the best of that group ...

It was because Jeff Taylor was a strong defensive player who was a solid catch and shoot role player on offense. Makes very few mistakes. Rarely takes away from his team unlike he is more acclaimed teammates. Which means, even though his positive contributions were quite small, his negative contributions were tiny and his net impact was pretty healthy (unlike many of his teammates).

I didn't think much of Kemba Walker's season because I thought he gave up more on defense than he created on offense + because, while he is a solid scorer, he isn't much of a passer / floor general. Net negative. Has potential to be a top flight change of pace scoring PG off the bench but he is not starting material.

MKG was good on defense but awful on offense. Probably the worst jump-shooting perimeter player who was playing big minutes last season. His bad offense took away from his team than his good defense added. Net negative.

Gerald Henderson started the season off quite badly but picked up as the year went along and finished well. Gave inconsistent effort on defense and struggled on offense until late season surge. Even then, his lack of skill-level on offense (for a SG) made life more difficult for his teammates. Offensively, more of a SF than a SG but defensively needs to play SG.

Then there was Ben Gordon who was just going through the motions out there. Fought with coaches. Worst season in awhile.

Ramon Sessions was Jeff Taylor's stiffest competition. He was a very good backup PG but still isn't really starting material on a good team because he needs so much of the ball in his hands + has a lousy shot when off the ball. I think Taylor can start on a contender. So I gave him the nod.

« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2013, 11:01:30 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Who: I will add this. When Landry is on the floor, some teams may see fit to put their center on him. His ability to operate down low is extremely good for a backup PF. He's not just an afterthought in matchups; he's someone you have to gameplan for.
Carl Landry is more of a threat in the post with quickness and explosiveness than his muscle ... meaning most PFs defend him better than most Cs do (who lack the foot-speed to contain him).

Some exceptions of course but C.Landry will generally draw the PF and Horford the C.

« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2013, 11:04:28 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
Carl Landry is more of a threat in the post with quickness and explosiveness than his muscle ... meaning most PFs defend him better than most Cs do (who lack the foot-speed to contain him).

Some exceptions of course but C.Landry will generally draw the PF and Horford the C.

Very well. That makes sense. Still very comfortable with Horford's role, though. And he is very quick for his size as well, so in some exceptions (like you said) a team may need to put their PF on Horford to keep up with him as he roams the floor.

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2013, 11:10:07 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
Gonna step out for a bit but I'll answer as many questions as I can when I get back. Keep 'em coming, folks.

« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2013, 11:13:08 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Yes, thanks for all the good questions so far.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2013, 11:16:34 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I watched Jeff Taylor very little last year, but advanced metrics didn't like him much.

10.3 PER, 0.0 defensive win shares, 114 DRtg, 0.96 points allowed per possession (ranked 393rd in the NBA!!), a .552 eFG% allowed at his primary position, a PER differential of -7.6 at his primary position, etc.

That doesn't describe a very effective player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2013, 11:21:11 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I watched Jeff Taylor very little last year, but advanced metrics didn't like him much.

10.3 PER, 0.0 defensive win shares, 114 DRtg, 0.96 points allowed per possession (ranked 393rd in the NBA!!), a .552 eFG% allowed at his primary position, a PER differential of -7.6 at his primary position, etc.

I actually did watch him a decent amount, My Fiance and I are talking about moving to NC so I was scouting the teams, Panthers/Hurricanes/Bobcats to make sure it was someplace I would consider. 

Taylor was pretty solid from what I saw, nothing flashy, but good defensively.  I think the fact that there are rumors of him starting over MKG next year are very telling.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2013, 11:21:15 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Yeah, he showed flashes and I think he's got some promise, but what he's actually done on the court so far is being seriously overblown.

« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2013, 11:25:14 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Yeah, he showed flashes and I think he's got some promise, but what he's actually done on the court so far is being seriously overblown.

Fair enough, though, I think as a guy I expect to play about 15 mpg mainly to provide help on defense with the first unit he should work well.  His starting is mainly about setting up my rotation so Ray can bring some offense off the bench. 

« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2013, 11:27:01 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I actually did watch him a decent amount, My Fiance and I are talking about moving to NC so I was scouting the teams, Panthers/Hurricanes/Bobcats to make sure it was someplace I would consider. 

Taylor was pretty solid from what I saw, nothing flashy, but good defensively.  I think the fact that there are rumors of him starting over MKG next year are very telling.

Did you first hear those from me?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2013, 11:28:07 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Did you first hear those from me?

Nope first from Bleacher report, (not the best, then from you).  Like I said, Taylor was a guy I was targetting once Brewer went off the board, so I had my eye on him for a while and was able to pick up some very nice pieces while I waited on him.