Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Atlantic Division Press Conferences  (Read 132369 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Atlantic Division Press Conferences
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2013, 01:37:23 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I wonder if Terrence Jones could play 12-18mpg as a starting SF while Gallinari is out. He has more size and physical bulk to Corey Brewer.

I think T.Jones could matchup better defensively against some of the starting SFs in the league. Even just for the first 6 minutes of each half to set a tone defensively. Physical toughness. Let C.Brewer keep his "instant energy guy" role off the bench and give C.Brewer extended minutes from there.

Anyways, doesn't matter too much. It's only the first part of the season. Gallinari will be back for the business end of things.

« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2013, 01:55:33 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
This is what Im not sold on. A 21 year old in his sophomore season with no college experience. I dont think he will make as big of a leap as people expect.

The way you phrase it though, it just kind of sounds like nothing short of actually seeing him do it will sell you on it. If that's true, I'm sure you're not the only guy who feels that way.

And well, that's..you know..a defensible point of view. "This hasn't happened yet, so it won't happen", and if you're wrong in 6 months, it won't matter to this competition because well, it'll be over (props to DKC). All that'll be left are my i told ya sos and Jonas's fractured ego and millions of dollars and fans.

But, I'm not actually demanding he gets 15 and 10 and is just basically a fringe all-star, I'm asking him to get 12-15 pts and 8 boards, and be 'pretty good'. He's the right type of guy mentally. His body is right physically. He's shown the ability to do it in smaller sample sizes before. The evidence:

1) He averaged 11 pts and 7 boards in 27 minutes through 27 games post All-Star break, and started 57 games on the year.

2) In the 20 games he played over 30 minutes, averaging 34 mpg he got 14 points, 8 rebounds, shot 62%, and added in 83% FT shooting and 2 blocks.

Plus, hes been phenomenal this summer. Bigger, more skilled, more aggressive, already had his trial by fire, I get being a touch reserved from what Who's saying (although obviously I'm also bullish on the kid), but I don't think 12 and 8 in 30 minutes is anything but conservative for the big boy.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I wonder if Terrence Jones could play 12-18mpg as a starting SF while Gallinari is out. He has more size and physical bulk to Corey Brewer.

I think T.Jones could matchup better defensively against some of the starting SFs in the league. Even just for the first 6 minutes of each half to set a tone defensively. Physical toughness. Let C.Brewer keep his "instant energy guy" role off the bench and give C.Brewer extended minutes from there.

Anyways, doesn't matter too much. It's only the first part of the season. Gallinari will be back for the business end of things.

I thought about it. I didn't think it was worth arguing the point against it.

« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2013, 02:02:03 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
This is what Im not sold on. A 21 year old in his sophomore season with no college experience. I dont think he will make as big of a leap as people expect.

The way you phrase it though, it just kind of sounds like nothing short of actually seeing him do it will sell you on it. If that's true, I'm sure you're not the only guy who feels that way.

And well, that's..you know..a defensible point of view. "This hasn't happened yet, so it won't happen", and if you're wrong in 6 months, it won't matter to this competition because well, it'll be over (props to DKC). All that'll be left are my i told ya sos and Jonas's fractured ego and millions of dollars and fans.

But, I'm not actually demanding he gets 15 and 10 and is just basically a fringe all-star, I'm asking him to get 12-15 pts and 8 boards, and be 'pretty good'. He's the right type of guy mentally. His body is right physically. He's shown the ability to do it in smaller sample sizes before. The evidence:

1) He averaged 11 pts and 7 boards in 27 minutes through 27 games post All-Star break, and started 57 games on the year.

2) In the 20 games he played over 30 minutes, averaging 34 mpg he got 14 points, 8 rebounds, shot 62%, and added in 83% FT shooting and 2 blocks.

Plus, hes been phenomenal this summer. Bigger, more skilled, more aggressive, already had his trial by fire, I get being a touch reserved from what Who's saying (although obviously I'm also bullish on the kid), but I don't think 12 and 8 in 30 minutes is anything but conservative for the big boy.

Adding to all this, Valanciunas has my support. And considering the success of my previous bold predictions (Marc Gasol, Nicolas Batum, Chandler Parsons, etc), that should mean quite a bit  ;)

/shamelesspride

« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2013, 02:03:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I thought about it. I didn't think it was worth arguing the point against it.

Yep, probably right. Good call.

« Reply #95 on: September 04, 2013, 02:09:36 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

And when you put it this way it is more plausible. Its tough because i was addressing Who's claim that he could be a legit star this upcoming year at 15 and 10 and dominate the middle. If your expectations for him on your squad is to be slightly above average and not make as big of a leap as people with high expectations have then I would agree with that statement more.

« Reply #96 on: September 04, 2013, 04:20:30 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i havent read through the questions in the thread yet, and i apologize if this has been asked, but:

to all teams....what seed do you rank your team your conference (not division) and why do you rank them there?

i am voting, so along with your rosters and pressers, this is your opportunity to try and make a case to this voter.

thx

« Reply #97 on: September 04, 2013, 04:29:28 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
i havent read through the questions in the thread yet, and i apologize if this has been asked, but:

to all teams....what seed do you rank your team your conference (not division) and why do you rank them there?

i am voting, so along with your rosters and pressers, this is your opportunity to try and make a case to this voter.

thx

I'm top 3 in the conference, top of the division. Who says it best:

PG: Kyrie Irving, Isaiah Thomas
OG: Gordon Hayward, E.Fournier
SF: Danilo Gallinari, C.Brewer
PF: Pau Gasol, D.Arthur
 C: Jonas Valanciunas, Pero Antic

End of Bench: Patrick Beverley, Kent Bazemore, Terrence Jones

I really like the starting five for Boston. I think it might be the strongest starting unit in the East.

Kyrie Irving is a very good young PG. A terrific scorer. Very explosive. Great shooting range. Tricky handles. Can create his own shot against pretty much any defense. The rest of his game leaves quite a bit to be desired but is gradually improving and I would expect him to take another step forward next as a defender and floor general.

I had Gordon Hayward and Danilo Gallinari as my starting wings on my CB team last summer. I felt then that their combined capacity to create offensive advantages for my team outweighed the lack of a defensive stopper on the wing in my starting lineup and I still feel that way.

I was disappointed in Gordon Hayward last year. I expected him to take a bigger step forward and it didn't happen. I do still really like his game though and I like his talent as a big two guard.

Both players provide excellent outside shooting, additional ball-handling and passing ability. Combined with a top notch scoring PG in Kyrie Irving and a great facilitating big man in Pau Gasol, I think Boston have one of the best offensive combinations in the league between these four players.

I am a big Jonas Valanciunas fan. I expect him to take a big step forward next season. To be a plus defender, a quality rebounder and a well above average offensive C. I think 15ppg and 9-10rpg is well within his grasp. His physical profile in terms of size, (improved) bulk and length combined with the experience he gained last season should help him take big steps forward as a both a man-to-man and team defender.

Pau Gasol is a player who has had some fairly underwhelming seasons in recent years but I think the skill and ability is still there. So long as this injury situation isn't too bad. I think he has looked very good for Spain and would have done much more in the NBA if LAL hadn't reduced his role so much to accommodate Bynum/Dwight (and Kobe).

I think Pau will combine well with Valanciunas who moves pretty well for a legitimate center and has a nice short to midrange (10-15 foot) jump shot in his arsenal. Having two seven footers who have mobility and post games offensively will make them difficult for most teams to matchup against and their size + length defensively will really help out Boston's interior defense.

Overall, I love the size and length of this starting unit. Two seven footers. A 6-10 SF. A 6-7 SG. A good sized 6-2/6-3 PG. A lot of length to go up against. I think that will hold them in good stead. Some quickness issues defensively but they are decent enough for it not to be too large an issue against most teams.

Coaching

Gregg Popovich was a fantastic addition. One of only a few teams who'll receive a good boost from me for their head coach. Both for the talent of the coaching and also for how well he should fit with the qualities/characteristics of the team. Brilliant.

Bench

Darrell Arthur is the only guy I consider to be an above average bench piece. I think he will do well for Boston with his quickness defensively (contrast and complement to the twin towers starting combo) + his mid-range to long two point jump-shooting.

I think Isaiah Thomas and Corey Brewer are solid middle of the pack bench players.

I worry about C.Brewer as a starting SF in Gallo's absence. I don't think he has the physical size to matchup effectively as a defender/rebounder as a starting SF. I think he will do well for Boston when in a reserve role though.

I really like Patrick Beverley as third string PG. I think he provides a nice contrast to Isaiah Thomas (main backup PG). A hard nosed defensive PG who creates extra possessions. Thomas more of a strong pick and roll creator offensively. They have different qualities. Boston can pick and choose based on need and opponent. I think that combo will work well together. Gives Boston an extra lift at backup PG.

Not altogether convinced by Evan Fournier. I think he is a nice prospect but I wonder if next season is too soon for him. A few years down the line, yes. Next year? unsure. So I have a lack of confidence in him as a contributor to a title contender.

I like Pero Antic. I think he has good physical size and toughness. As a third string C (behind Jonas + Pau), and, as an alternative to the speed and quickness of D.Arthur when Boston needs more size and bulk off the bench, I think Antic offers good qualities. Useful end of bench player.

I know nothing of Bazemore. Nothing player for me. Terrence Jones is a strong third string PF/SF.

Overall

One of the best teams in the East.

« Reply #98 on: September 04, 2013, 05:08:20 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Honestly, when you factor in the amount of games Gallo will miss, along with Gasol's limited minutes and likely games missed and the fact Irving has yet to playa full season, I'm not sure Boston can make the playoffs.  If they do, I'm guessing it will be as an 7 or 8 seed (fighting with Indiana/Chicago for the last 2 spots).

« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2013, 05:18:30 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Honestly, when you factor in the amount of games Gallo will miss, along with Gasol's limited minutes and likely games missed and the fact Irving has yet to playa full season, I'm not sure Boston can make the playoffs.  If they do, I'm guessing it will be as an 7 or 8 seed (fighting with Indiana/Chicago for the last 2 spots).

Hm. Gallo's due back Mid-December. Kyrie Irving doesn't have any chronic (or even recurring) injury issues, and is currently 100% healthy. Nobody knows how much Gasol's minutes will be limited, or how often, and what effect if any they'll have on his play. You obviously think there will be glass half empty results to all 3.

But that's strange to me, coming from a fella who thinks Emeka Okafor can be a legitimate starting center on a playoff team. One would think you'd trend more optimistic in your projections, sir.

« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2013, 05:21:05 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Hm. Gallo's due back Mid-December. Kyrie Irving doesn't have any chronic (or even recurring) injury issues, and is currently 100% healthy. Nobody knows how much Gasol's minutes will be limited, or how often, and what effect if any they'll have on his play. You obviously think there will be glass half empty results to all 3.

But that's strange to me, coming from a fella who thinks Emeka Okafor can be a legitimate starting center on a playoff team. One would think you'd trend more optimistic in your projections, sir.

I'm still not finding where Gallo is coming back mid-December. Most reports I've read place his return until after the calendar year. That being said, I do have Boston as a playoff team despite their inevitable regular season bumps.

Also, Okafor CAN be a legitimate starting center on a playoff team. I'm not sure what's so optimistic about that.

« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2013, 05:22:05 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
How much will Pau Gasol's minutes will be limited? What is his injury situation?

I am expecting Gallo back in the New Year and for Kyrie to play around 60 games.

« Reply #102 on: September 04, 2013, 05:26:15 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

None of my players have injury concerns.  Your's do.

« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2013, 05:27:40 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I'm still not finding where Gallo is coming back mid-December. Most reports I've read place his return until after the calendar year. That being said, I do have Boston as a playoff team despite their inevitable regular season bumps.

Also, Okafor CAN be a legitimate starting center on a playoff team. I'm not sure what's so optimistic about that.

Nuggets forward Danilo Gallinari could return by December as opposed to February, a league source told The Denver Post.

Gallinari, who underwent knee surgery at the end of the season, had been projected by the Nuggets to miss half of the 2013-14 season. But Gallo posted a video on his official Facebook page Friday in Italian, and in the video Gallo said his left ACL wasn't torn and his recovery time will be "completely different" than previously reported, according to the Italian journalist Davide Chinellato. He is a writer for Italian La Gazzetta dello Sport and translated Gallo's video and posted the quotes on Twitter).

« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2013, 05:33:17 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Nuggets forward Danilo Gallinari could return by December as opposed to February, a league source told The Denver Post.

Gallinari, who underwent knee surgery at the end of the season, had been projected by the Nuggets to miss half of the 2013-14 season. But Gallo posted a video on his official Facebook page Friday in Italian, and in the video Gallo said his left ACL wasn't torn and his recovery time will be "completely different" than previously reported, according to the Italian journalist Davide Chinellato. He is a writer for Italian La Gazzetta dello Sport and translated Gallo's video and posted the quotes on Twitter).

It says could not will.  Big difference.  I'm not buying it.  Or at least I won't until I see it.