Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Atlantic Division Press Conferences  (Read 131489 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Atlantic Division Press Conferences
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 03:40:58 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
L.Sanders (garbage man) as a PF alongside B.Lopez (low post scorer with high-low game) at Center ... makes me nervous offensively with a PG like Ricky Rubio (weak jump-shot and weak scorer).

I'm not sure how well those pieces fit together. I can like Rubio with a PF with a jump-shot or L.Sanders (PF) with a point guard with a jump-shot but I am not sure how much I can like them together (alongside a C like B.Lopez).

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2013, 03:52:51 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
L.Sanders (garbage man) as a PF alongside B.Lopez (low post scorer with high-low game) at Center ... makes me nervous offensively with a PG like Ricky Rubio (weak jump-shot and weak scorer).

I'm not sure how well those pieces fit together. I can like Rubio with a PF with a jump-shot or L.Sanders (PF) with a point guard with a jump-shot but I am not sure how much I can like them together (alongside a C like B.Lopez).

So what you're saying is start zbo and have Sanders back up both bigs.

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2013, 03:53:28 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I'd agree with this, but the alternative is worse.  You can not play Sanders next to Williams, so Sanders needs to be the backup  C.  Problem is Williams is the backup SF, meaning the 3 main guys all have to play substantial minutes, and not all 2 man pairings work.

Lopez and ZBo is the best, but can be exposed on 'D'.

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2013, 03:58:43 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Boston: I'm not denying the quality of your team now, but is there enough talent to compensate for the lack of experience? I'm super high on many your young players, but what kind of jump is Valanciunas really going to have this season? Will Fournier have developed enough to be a key piece on a contender after playing an underwhelming 13.3 minutes per game last postseason?

Follow-up questions:

In your presser, you stressed that size is important, but who is your backup center? Arthur is too undersized, and the only other logical candidate is Antic.

Also in your presser, you said that you won't be able to replace Gallo's production, but you can at least mitigate it. How much of a blow do you think Gallo's absence will be for this team? Fournier is still a question mark and Beverly is undersized. Can you afford to start off slowly when Irving is another walking injury risk, while young players will inevitably experience growing pains being thrust in a much bigger role?

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2013, 04:23:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Thanks to PJ and IP for being around to represent their teams, as well as Kane and rondo/bleedgreen over in the Pacific. 

I want to say that it can probably feel like you're getting raked over in these threads and like voters might be nitpicking you to death, but I put a lot of stock in being able to answer questions about your team, and make a strong case for their success despite the flaws that every team has.  And even if the other owners get a press conference together under the wire, I'll be penalizing them for not being around to defend their squads today.  TPs all around.

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2013, 04:36:13 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
New York: Even if Z-Bo is content coming off the bench (which is a big if), I think the more important question to ask is whether he is fine with sitting on the bench during critical, game-changing plays. Will you stick with your starting frontcourt of Sanders/BroLo during crunch time, or put in the more experienced Z-Bo?

Always been a huge fan of doesn't matter who starts game but it matters who finishes them. If the team needs a few crucial buckets in crunch time then Randolph absolutely sees the floor. If we need a big defensive stop up by one Sanders gets the call. Its all in the moment and based on what scenario is being presented. That the luxury of having such a great three headed monster.. At the end of the game I could pair Sanders/Lopez, Lopez/ZBo, or ZBo/Sanders and be confident in the outcome.

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2013, 04:44:20 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
Question for NY; how comfortable are you with the pairing of Sanders and Williams together on the court?  Or for that matter, ZBo and Williams?

Starting Sanders would serve him and the rotation best (as you are doing), but I'm just as "not sold" on ZBo coming off the bench in NY as I was in GS.  I don't think he'll love it.  Maybe next to a peer like LMA, it might work, but next to a clearly lesser player in Sanders, I'm not seeing it.

Also, while the bigs are "name" players and individually good, the fit seems a bit touch and go and lacking in depth beyond the 3 main guys.  Foul trouble could spell doom in the playoffs.

I wouldnt call Sanders a lesser player at all. They both have much different skill sets. ZBo is a double double machine pounding the boards and putting up great offensive numbers...However, Sanders is a double double machine as well, not only by just almost averaging 10 rebounds and 10 assists, but even sometimes in the 10 block category which is absurd.

Again, my team was built on which players fit the best where. As I said in the presser, a player might be more talented than another but might not fit the squad as well as someone else. Was arguably the third most talented Knick behind Chandler and Melo last year JR Smith? Yes, without question... He started zero games just because he fits better off the bench. Yes he plays the 6th man role so its a stretch but you get the point here.

And I dont have a problem with "lack of depth" at the big man slot in my eyes. I have 7 guys who can play the 4/5 slot. Lopez and Sanders out with foul trouble? Ok Zbo, Williams, and Green with either Frye or Faverani become our big man rotation for that stretch of the game. Garcia and Evans split minutes at the 3 and Martin Hinrich and Udrih are all left to play the two. The versatility here, to me anyway, kills any debate about lack of depth due to foul trouble.

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2013, 04:44:51 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Presenting the 2013-2014 Brooklyn Hardwood Surfaces

PHILOSOPHY:
  This is a running team in the mold of the Denver Nuggets. My goal was build a team that could create a lot of turnovers, get a lot of rebounds, and press hard in transition. If possible, I hoped to create a team that was stronger defensively than Denver. I also wanted to have some deadly shooters in the mix to give opponents different looks with trailers and in the half-court. You will quickly see the analogues-

Starting at the point: Russell Westbrook,
- the league's leading scorer at point guard
- one of the league's best defenders at the point, a perennial top-10 in steal
- a foul-drawing machine
- the league's best rebounder at the point

Starting at shooting guard: Manu Ginobili,
- one of the league's best facilitators at the 2; a perfect compliment to the scoring-minded Westbrook
- one of the league's best rebounders at the 2
- one of the league's most versatile guards, who can hit the three, or slash and create
- one of the best team-defenders in the league

Starting at small forward: Kawhi Leonard,
- at 22 years old, a shooting star with tremendous potential
- already one of the best defenders in the league at the wind
- ultra-efficient player who builds his game around slashing and shooting the 3
- excellent rebounder
- excellent complimentary player who is used to playing off the ball

Starting at Power forward: J.J. Hickson
- electric transition player and one of the best finishers in the NBA, will be an excellent running mate for Westbrook
- third leading rebounder at the PF position last year
- has stopped taking the jumpers that foiled his offensive game, becoming a top-10 PF in PER
- terrible defender who will admittedly be the chink in my armor

Starting at center: Kosta Koufos
- proven to be an excellent center with a running team
- extremely smart, low-mistake seven footer who does a little bit of everything
- excellent pick and roll defender will hopefully help cover for Hickson
- strong rebounder and decent shot blocker

First off the bench: Tyreke Evans
- versatile and creative scorer who can play the 1, 2, or 3
- back on track with his excellent rookie numbers thanks to hugely improved shot selection
- excellent finisher and transition player

Snipers off the bench: Pablo Prigioni and Matt Bonner
Prigioni and Bonner are cerebral, experienced players and devastating shooters that represent huge curveballs at their respective positions. Both shoot 40%-plus from three and play savvy, solid team defense.

Three-and-D help: Jodie Meeks
Meeks is a very solid, low-mistake player and provides excellent bench depth at the 2.

Kris Humphris:
is also on this team. He backs up the 4 and the 5. I'm not even going to try to sell him to you. You guys all know exactly who he is.

BIG potential:
This team is sporting three rookie talents at the center position. By my calculations, that means that we have one future starter among them. If Noel can get healthy, he will be able to contribute right away thanks to his defense and his ability to run the floor. In the meantime, Mason Plumlee has the athleticism and physicality to fit in with this team's concept and will have his chance to show that he can contribute. Adams may have more potential than either of the other two, but we're not going to see him on the floor much this year.

TOUGHEST DECISION:
I must have negotiated with half the league for Kawhi Leonard. Everyone wants him and I see that many teams in the league have a really terrible situation at the wing. I may have an ugly situation at the 4, but Leonard is an extremely valuable two-way player for me in a high leverage position, and he has the upside to be an all-star, maybe even next season. I had a lot of good deals (and of course a lot of really stupid ones) pitched to me, but I ultimately decided to stand pat.

BEST MOVE:
Landing a starting center in the 7th round was extremely necessary. My draft strategy of focussing on guards, which I judged to be the scarcest resource, appeared to be backfiring as people scrambled to shore up deep big-man rotations well before securing a second (or even first) backcourt option. At any rate, my patience paid off when I found the very underrated Kosta Koufos waiting for me in the 7th round.

WORST MOVE
My worst moves in the draft were picking late in the 3rd and 4th due to travel connectivity problems. In both cases, I took the best talent available instead of reaching for a big. Unfortunately, I also didn't do enough internet research on Nerlens Noel- my expectation that he would be back mid-season was very optimistic. I think that Tyreke Evans is a fantastic 6th man, but I my team would look very different had I taken Anderson Varejao, the ultimate high-energy big and the perfect player for my front court, or one of the other excellent bigs that was taken in the 4th round.

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2013, 04:51:26 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Always been a huge fan of doesn't matter who starts game but it matters who finishes them. If the team needs a few crucial buckets in crunch time then Randolph absolutely sees the floor. If we need a big defensive stop up by one Sanders gets the call. Its all in the moment and based on what scenario is being presented. That the luxury of having such a great three headed monster.. At the end of the game I could pair Sanders/Lopez, Lopez/ZBo, or ZBo/Sanders and be confident in the outcome.

It's certainly a luxury for the team, but how will Z-Bo respond? Again, it's already a big if whether or not Z-Bo accepts a bench role, but that's something you can talk to me into. However, there's just no way I see Z-Bo happily riding the bench during the end of a game.

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2013, 04:51:36 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Boston: I'm not denying the quality of your team now, but is there enough talent to compensate for the lack of experience? I'm super high on many your young players, but what kind of jump is Valanciunas really going to have this season? Will Fournier have developed enough to be a key piece on a contender after playing an underwhelming 13.3 minutes per game last postseason?

Jonas Valanciunas will be better than he was last year because:

1) He was borne of fire and steel:
Quote from:
Perhaps the only member of the set of Colangelo draft picks that was actually worth handing a massive contract to, Jonas Valanciunas, is about to enter his second season with the team, working on a rookie deal that still has at least three more seasons on it. Valanciunas certainly got his reps in an injury-plagued rookie year, starting 57 of the 62 games he played in while working nearly 24 minutes a contest. That’s sound work for a rookie big man, most of whom are bogged down by foul trouble and conditioning issues in their initial NBA turn.

Valanciunas had no such foul issues (just 4.6 per 36 minutes), and yet he still showed very promising signs as both a feet-movin’ defender and finisher around the rim. It’s true that Jonas did not rebound as well as we’d expect, especially on the offensive end, but the mere fact that Casey gave the young man as much as he could handle in his first year should pay huge dividends down the road. Compare Jonas’ number of starts with Detroit’s Andre Drummond (57 to 10) last year, and you have the difference between a well-versed starter and someone who is going to have to learn how to pace things for four quarters.

Jonas Valanciunas, a year after being thrown to the wolves at age 20, should be a little ahead of the pack. You don’t have to worry about him, Toronto.

He's already got starter experience, he knows how to do that now. Just learning how to do that is one of the biggest issues rookies, especially big men, can tackle.

That leaves him open to develop other parts of his game.

2) He works hard, he loves basketball, and never complains.

Check out this report during the first part of summer league. Its a bit of a read so..sorry?

Perhaps the only member of the set of Colangelo draft picks that was actually worth handing a massive contract to, Jonas Valanciunas, is about to enter his second season with the team, working on a rookie deal that still has at least three more seasons on it. Valanciunas certainly got his reps in an injury-plagued rookie year, starting 57 of the 62 games he played in while working nearly 24 minutes a contest. That’s sound work for a rookie big man, most of whom are bogged down by foul trouble and conditioning issues in their initial NBA turn.

Valanciunas had no such foul issues (just 4.6 per 36 minutes), and yet he still showed very promising signs as both a feet-movin’ defender and finisher around the rim. It’s true that Jonas did not rebound as well as we’d expect, especially on the offensive end, but the mere fact that Casey gave the young man as much as he could handle in his first year should pay huge dividends down the road. Compare Jonas’ number of starts with Detroit’s Andre Drummond (57 to 10) last year, and you have the difference between a well-versed starter and someone who is going to have to learn how to pace things for four quarters.

Jonas Valanciunas, a year after being thrown to the wolves at age 20, should be a little ahead of the pack. You don’t have to worry about him, Toronto.

He's already got starter experience, he knows how to do that now. Just learning how to do that is one of the biggest issues rookies, especially big men, can tackle.

That leaves him open to develop other parts of his game.

2) He works hard, he loves basketball, and never complains.

Check out this report during the first part of summer league. Its a bit of a read so..sorry?

"With Jonas, it's never a question. He loves to play the game and that's huge," Ujiri says. "He works hard, you don't have to tell him twice. He's giving all the effort, he never complains, he never really (complains). It's all about basketball and that's great to see."

Ujiri was running the Denver Nuggets during Valanciunas' rookie season last year, but it's not as if he had lots to learn about the Lithuanian upon his arrival.

"I know him from head to toe, I think, and I love him," Ujiri says, recalling European scouting trips when Valanciunas played for Lietuvos Rytas.

It's easy to share the enthusiasm, mainly because Valanciunas plays with so much of it. When he misses a shot or a rotation, you'll see it on his face. Then, you'll see him try to make up for it. For years, scouts have taken note of his energy, how he covers ground on defense, demands attention rolling to the rim and seeks contact in the paint. In today's NBA, big men don't need to be able to make their free throws to make eight figures a year. Valanciunas does all the things they're required to do, plus he excels from the line at no additional cost -- at least for now.

The version of Valanciunas on display at NBA Summer League is looking just like the one we saw late in his rookie campaign, only stronger. After averaging 15.1 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.9 blocks per game and shooting 63.4 percent from the field and 85.4 percent from the free throw line in the season's final month, he went to work on his upper body.

In Las Vegas, Valanciunas is outmuscling opponents with ease. It's to the point where Raptors head coach Dwane Casey says he needs to make sure he doesn't get so bulky that it slows him down.

"Just look at him," Toronto forward Quincy Acy says. "It's just a testament to his hard work. He's been fun to be around. We worked out together before practice a lot our rookie year. That was fun, too, to see him work hard and he's still out there getting big minutes. It just says a lot about him as a person and how passionate he is about the game and getting better."

Through three games on the summer squad, Valanciunas has averaged 20 points and 9.3 rebounds and has made 24 of his 27 free throw attempts. He's committed turnovers and fouls too often, but might still be the best player in Vegas. The Raptors are trying to feed him down low, something they did with increased regularity as last season wound down and will continue doing next season.

"Every time I get the ball in the post, I get some experience from that," Valanciunas says. "I'm trying to use that experience. I'm trying to learn as much as I can."

3) Its Paying Dividends, And The Nerds Are Noticing

Basketball nerds are like the canaries in the mineshaft. They notice trends that equal wins or player improvement before the rest of us do. Here's Grantland's Andrew Sharp:

The Breakout Star: Jonas Valanciunas

Every year, there are one or two players who stand out and leave you gushing about them to anyone who asks. This year it was Toronto's Jonas Valanciunas. Not his numbers or any particular highlights, just ... when you watched the summer Raptors, Jonas looked one or two levels above anyone else on the court. Stronger than anyone, in great shape, and still quick enough to create for himself in the post. People have been talking about his potential for the past two years, but after a year in Europe and then a decent rookie season last year, it finally makes sense.

Sports Illustrated called him the MVP of the week, and with 22 teams playing 61 games in Vegas, he was the one guy who looked like a future superstar. One day soon, we will all have to learn how to spell "Valanciunas."

Here is Sports Illustrated's Ben Golliver (an even bigger nerd) singing JV's praises:

Every time the 7-foot Valanciunas, the fifth pick in 2011, has taken the court this week in Las Vegas, he’s done a handful of things to make the basketball traditionalist chuckle out loud. The pump fakes are breathtaking, but they have been only one of his many attributes on display. Valanciunas has shown the ability to make jump hooks with both hands, and the footwork necessary to set them up. The touch on his passes and the calm with which he handles double teams are rarely seen in a player with his size and strength. Defensively, he’s maintained a high effort level and diligently committed to finding a body to box to maximize his rebounding opportunities. He’s altered shots and shadowed pick-and-roll ball-handlers. And, it goes without saying, he’s outmuscled and overpowered virtually everyone.

Put simply, Valanciunas is the best player in this year’s summer league, and his development is progressing so well that Raptors coach Dwane Casey didn’t hesitate or hedge when asked to gauge his center’s ceiling.

“I see an All-Star in the making,” Casey told SI.com on Thursday. “He’s not there yet. … I think you’re going to see that [recognition] in the future. As he grows as a player, we’ll grow as a team.”

Now, I'm not saying JV is gonna be an All-Star next season, but a pretty solid lock to be a 15 and 8 guy or so? I'd make that bet.

And you might ask/say, "Well fine, lots of people are high on him, but how do you KNOW he's going to be good next year?"

And the answer to that in the end is, I'm guessing. Just like someone might guess that Dirk is gonna not fall apart this year, even though you know sometime soon he will (or KG, or Ray Allen, or Pierce, or whatever). Basically, you make your bets where you can, but I think that betting on high-character, high-motor, high-ceiling guys who have already shown they have the tools to do what you're asking them to is a good bet to make, perhaps even better than betting 'Dirk still has it', or 'KG will be fine next season, he's a workaholic.'
Follow-up questions:

In your presser, you stressed that size is important, but who is your backup center? Arthur is too undersized, and the only other logical candidate is Antic.

Yeah, my bad. Here's my bigs rotation:

Gasol/Arthur/Gallo
Valanciunas/Gasol/Antic

Lots of different looks, lots of talent, different strengths in each.

Also in your presser, you said that you won't be able to replace Gallo's production, but you can at least mitigate it. How much of a blow do you think Gallo's absence will be for this team? Fournier is still a question mark and Beverly is undersized. Can you afford to start off slowly when Irving is another walking injury risk, while young players will inevitably experience growing pains being thrust in a much bigger role?

Whoa whoa whoa mister loaded question!

First: Solving for Gallo

the 2/3 will work thusly;

Hayward/Fournier/Beverley/(Bazemore)
Gallo/Brewer/Hayward

Now with Gallo out, it'll look like:

Hayward/Fournier/Beverley
Brewer/Hayward/Fournier

Hayward's minutes go up to around 35, everyone else mostly stays the same, except Brewer's go up to around 32 or so.
Here it is with minutes:

Hayward (20)/Fournier (18)/Beverley (10)
Brewer (33)/Hayward (15)/

At the 4, Darrell Arthur and Terrance Jones eat up Gallo's minutes.

Its a piecemeal solution that doesn't add up to Danilo Gallinari, but I don't think its even really crippling. Everyone I'm playing I'm putting in roles they've played before, and everyone I'm playing has shown up before in those roles.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2013, 04:57:03 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

I'd agree with this, but the alternative is worse.  You can not play Sanders next to Williams, so Sanders needs to be the backup  C.  Problem is Williams is the backup SF, meaning the 3 main guys all have to play substantial minutes, and not all 2 man pairings work.

Lopez and ZBo is the best, but can be exposed on 'D'.

So let Lopez be your jump shot gut in that case. Im not worried about it. Martin and Green on the wings spread the floor. Lopez plays high low but also can hit the corner jump shots and from the elbows. Rubio is good at driving to the paint and when he does so he will have Martin and Green on the wings, Lopez up high and Sanders following him for the crash or alley oop. Plenty of offensive fire power between Lopez, Martin, and Green.

Not that its any game altering stat by any means but Sanders hit 48% of his base line jumpers from the left side last year. Also from the top of the key and free throw elbow Lopez shot 41% and 46% respectively as well as 43% from the 15 foot and out range on the baselines. Rubio doesnt need to score more than his 10 to 11 points a game he just needs to focus on facilitating while Sanders needs to focus on defender the paint and protecting the rim.

I also dont see why Williams and Sanders couldnt play together? Of course then can. Williams came out of college renowned for him scoring abilities.

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2013, 05:04:45 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

It's certainly a luxury for the team, but how will Z-Bo respond? Again, it's already a big if whether or not Z-Bo accepts a bench role, but that's something you can talk to me into. However, there's just no way I see Z-Bo happily riding the bench during the end of a game.

Again, like I stated, I dont see ZBo riding the bench at the end of the game. Its all about who finishes the game not who starts it. However, if the game calls for a defensive stop. It just makes logical sense to put Lopez and Sanders in to protect the rim. This Knicks team is full of High IQ, good character basketball guys that will have to buy into the system and mesh together. Chemistry is the key to winning.

Any 32 year old PF who has been in the league for 12 years in a position to play with a very legit contender and win a championship while still getting his numbers and stats while also getting his same minutes, and a chance at an individual award like 6th man of the year, will be able to take whatever role is best for the outcome of the team. If there was a crazy reduction in minutes and touches then we might have a problem. But ZBo's role, in essence, is even more important as a 6th man here than it would be as a starter.

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2013, 05:04:53 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
In response to the question:
"I have you missing the playoffs, why am I wrong?"

My team is designed to run you out of the gym and to smother your guard- or wing-driven offense. It will succeed in doing so unless you have a good post offense. If you do have a good post offense, we will not be able to stop you and we'll have to have a gunfight.

My argument to you is that there are not enough defensively stout teams with low-post offenses to keep us out of the playoffs. We will win enough games to get in.

That said, unless we have a prodigious development from one of these rookies, our big man rotation will not be able to compete in the playoffs.

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2013, 05:06:58 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Can you afford to start off slowly when Irving is another walking injury risk, while young players will inevitably experience growing pains being thrust in a much bigger role?

There are like 3 things at play here, so let's look at them one at a time.

Can you afford to start off slowly

What exactly constitutes 'slowly'? .500? Because I'm not conceding that at all.

You asked before,

How much of a blow do you think Gallo's absence will be for this team?

Well during the regular season, I see it as minimal. Gallinari's true value comes later. During the season, Miami can win 3 of 5 games while LeBron and Wade sit because teams just aren't as locked in, they're as ready either, stupid as it sounds, to beat a Chris Bosh-centric team. They have a great gameplan for LeBron and Wade, but for a Bosh-led team in December?

Now during the beginning of the season, teams will still be figuring each other out. Nobody's gonna know how to defend the Kyrie/Hayward/Gasol/Valanciunas team, and when you figure that Brewer scores exactly as many points per 36 (or near enough) as Gallinari, you kinda think that its not going to hobble us very much.

But the REAL risk to losing Gallo is in the post-season. Teams know each other then. They've scouted and scouted and scouted some more. The players have met and exchanged emails and they snapchat during timeouts. When teams get to that point towards the end of the season, that's when a guy like Gallo becomes super-important. The ability to go small, the ability to create shots and add another viable passer and ball handler on the floor. Another shooter who can shoot over jsut about anyone.

When teams begin to slow down and lock into predicted patterns, that's when Gallo matters. Just ask Denver.

Irving is another walking injury risk

Meh. Whatever. I have a great insurance policy (Isaiah Thomas and Patrick Beverley).

But also, when is he going to get injured? For how long? What's he going to injure?

He has literally never injured the same thing twice. Right shoulder sprain, left shoulder sprain, light concussion, broken hand, broken index finger (on other hand), turf toe, broken jaw, hyper-extended knee...

Literally never the same thing twice.

So what's it mean? Maybe he's unlucky. Maybe he's injury prone. Maybe he'll shake it this year. He played more games than last year, and last year he played more games than the year previous.

And the Cavs have been notoriously cautious (leading to outbursts from Irving) in bringing him back, and no injury has affected his production significantly.

I'm penciling him in for 15 games with a strained calf muscle suffered on Jan 12th in a game against the Nets.

(I'm kidding)

I mean..if Irving is healthy for the playoffs and plays 60 games, what do I care?

While young players will inevitably experience growing pains being thrust in a much bigger role?

Every guy I'm 'thrusting' into a bigger role has had experience there before. I'm not saying that there won't be growing pains (particularly from Fournier who is 20 and might actually still be growing), but I am saying that i'm not worried about it dropping me from the contention apparently only I think I'm in on.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 05:19:25 PM by IndeedProceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2013, 05:19:23 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Again, like I stated, I dont see ZBo riding the bench at the end of the game. Its all about who finishes the game not who starts it. However, if the game calls for a defensive stop. It just makes logical sense to put Lopez and Sanders in to protect the rim. This Knicks team is full of High IQ, good character basketball guys that will have to buy into the system and mesh together. Chemistry is the key to winning.

Any 32 year old PF who has been in the league for 12 years in a position to play with a very legit contender and win a championship while still getting his numbers and stats while also getting his same minutes, and a chance at an individual award like 6th man of the year, will be able to take whatever role is best for the outcome of the team. If there was a crazy reduction in minutes and touches then we might have a problem. But ZBo's role, in essence, is even more important as a 6th man here than it would be as a starter.

Well, getting defensive stops is generally a common theme at the end of the game, so there's certainly going to be many situations where Z-Bo won't be in the game during crunch time. Randolph doesn't exactly strike me as a guy who's simply content getting stats and accolades, so I still remain very questionable about Z-Bo's role on this team.

However, moving in a new direction with both you and Boston, what separates you from each other? I know it's still early for head-on-head clashes, but so far I haven't read anything that definitely puts one above the other as the best team of the division.