Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 366741 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #1440 on: December 06, 2018, 11:38:48 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
great preview of the likely Eastern Conference Finals tonight with Toronto facing Philly.  Philly looks like they still have a ways to go until they are ready to knock off the Raptors, but by the end of the season they will probably get there.

If season stopped now, I would have to agree with this but it doesn't and we are getting better and will be in the conference finals. My guess is vs. Raptors. We will beat Sixers again the playoffs to get to that Raptors match up is my guess. Pedigree and Coaching wins almost always...we have the edge in both.

« Reply #1441 on: December 06, 2018, 01:17:10 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
great preview of the likely Eastern Conference Finals tonight with Toronto facing Philly.  Philly looks like they still have a ways to go until they are ready to knock off the Raptors, but by the end of the season they will probably get there.

If season stopped now, I would have to agree with this but it doesn't and we are getting better and will be in the conference finals. My guess is vs. Raptors. We will beat Sixers again the playoffs to get to that Raptors match up is my guess. Pedigree and Coaching wins almost always...we have the edge in both.
Boston will get better as Hayward's health improves.  He still looks like he has a ways to go until his athleticism fully returns, but I'm targeting post all-star break as a time when he can return to a borderline all-star level of play.

Tatum is the greatest prospect we've had since Bird and I'm hopeful he continues to improve as the season goes on.  He SHOULD eventually be an All-NBA level player and that leap can happen rapidly for young players.   So it's fair to speculate that, if fully healthy, Boston will have 3 (4 if you include Horford) star-caliber players.   At this very moment, we're a 1 star team sitting in the 6th seed.

As the season progresses, I think it's fair to expect Boston to move up to the 4th seed.  Maybe 3rd.   The 4th seed would be a tough position to be in, though... it would mean facing the Raptors on the road in Round 2 - and home court is probably going to be be significant. 

Philly has 3 legitimate all-stars right now.  Embiid is on most people's short list as an early MVP favorite.  Redick is having a career year as well.  This group is still extremely new together - so I'd be curious to see how they look in about 20 games, but from a pure talent standpoint, it's hard to say any team has more top-tier talent than Philly right now.  I also think there's another move to be made this season if they want to make it.   If I had to guess, it's their conference to lose this season. 

I also don't think you can sleep on the Bucks.  Giannis is another MVP candidate and Middleton is having an all-star season.  They also have surrounded Giannis with guys who can light it up.  Middleton shoots 42% from three, Brogdon is shooting 49% from three,  Brook Lopez is a sneaky solid addition as he's shooting 37% from three, and Drew Bledsoe is shooting 36% from three.  That makes them dangerous - moreso than last year when it's widely believed their coach totally dropped the ball.   

I got Boston in the mix as one of the 4 teams capable of making the conference finals, but at present Philly is the logical choice to win the conference.  They are going to have to get through Kawhi "New LeBron of the East" Leonard first.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 01:23:18 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #1442 on: December 06, 2018, 01:39:59 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
This seems to have morphed from all things Philly to all things eastern conference playoffs but I will play along.  I agree that it will certainly not be a cake walk for the Celtics.  Milwaukee was much better than Philly in the playoffs last year and they got better with Lopez.  Philly has added Butler but gave up some depth.  Toronto now has Leonard and last year they were good but stumbled against LeBron.  They may have been better than people are giving them credit for.  I don't think you can simply assume that they will whither again.  All these teams are good and have upgraded.

But the Celtics, who went farther than any of these teams last season, have added Hayward and Irving to their playoff roster so they are better also (on paper).  It gets harder with every bad game but I am still feeling like this is a really good team that is going to figure it out.  The only upgrade I think they need is a starting level big, like Morris but maybe a little bigger.  I like Hayward off the bench to get Morris (or maybe sometimes Baynes) in the starting line up.  Not sure about Smart-Brown.  I think Brown will be the eventual starter and will play more like last season if not better.

Even with all of that, they could still lose to any of these teams in a playoff series.

« Reply #1443 on: December 06, 2018, 03:51:52 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Boston will get better as Hayward's health improves.  He still looks like he has a ways to go until his athleticism fully returns, but I'm targeting post all-star break as a time when he can return to a borderline all-star level of play.

Tatum is the greatest prospect we've had since Bird and I'm hopeful he continues to improve as the season goes on.  He SHOULD eventually be an All-NBA level player and that leap can happen rapidly for young players.   So it's fair to speculate that, if fully healthy, Boston will have 3 (4 if you include Horford) star-caliber players.   At this very moment, we're a 1 star team sitting in the 6th seed.

As the season progresses, I think it's fair to expect Boston to move up to the 4th seed.  Maybe 3rd.   The 4th seed would be a tough position to be in, though... it would mean facing the Raptors on the road in Round 2 - and home court is probably going to be be significant. 

Philly has 3 legitimate all-stars right now.  Embiid is on most people's short list as an early MVP favorite.  Redick is having a career year as well.  This group is still extremely new together - so I'd be curious to see how they look in about 20 games, but from a pure talent standpoint, it's hard to say any team has more top-tier talent than Philly right now.  I also think there's another move to be made this season if they want to make it.   If I had to guess, it's their conference to lose this season. 

I also don't think you can sleep on the Bucks.  Giannis is another MVP candidate and Middleton is having an all-star season.  They also have surrounded Giannis with guys who can light it up.  Middleton shoots 42% from three, Brogdon is shooting 49% from three,  Brook Lopez is a sneaky solid addition as he's shooting 37% from three, and Drew Bledsoe is shooting 36% from three.  That makes them dangerous - moreso than last year when it's widely believed their coach totally dropped the ball.   

I got Boston in the mix as one of the 4 teams capable of making the conference finals, but at present Philly is the logical choice to win the conference.  They are going to have to get through Kawhi "New LeBron of the East" Leonard first.

What about McHale? Reggie Lewis? Paul Pierce?

« Reply #1444 on: December 06, 2018, 03:54:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Tatum is a higher level prospect then those guys were and is a significantly higher one than Lewis was.  He wasn't a greater prospect then Len Bias though.  Real shame what happened to him. 

But being a higher lever prospect doesn't mean you will end up a better player or have a better career.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1445 on: December 06, 2018, 04:06:29 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
For those of us that don't watch every Sixers game, here's a video of all of the gaffs by Joel Embiid against the Raptors the other night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2xqwNOpJrQ

I know Embiid is really good at basketball most games, but he's been abused by smart team offenses and defenses last year, in the playoffs, and this year. Sometimes, he looks a lot like Andrew Bynum with his effort and lostness out there.

Big game performances like this matter. I don't think he is a true MVP candidate after a game like this. I know it's only one game, and unfortunately, the narrative is still very pro-Embiid, but sometimes, he is not very good at basketball.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 04:37:01 PM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #1446 on: December 06, 2018, 05:36:19 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
For those of us that don't watch every Sixers game, here's a video of all of the gaffs by Joel Embiid against the Raptors the other night.

I know Embiid is really good at basketball most games, but he's been abused by smart team offenses and defenses last year, in the playoffs, and this year. Sometimes, he looks a lot like Andrew Bynum with his effort and lostness out there.

Big game performances like this matter. I don't think he is a true MVP candidate after a game like this. I know it's only one game, and unfortunately, the narrative is still very pro-Embiid, but sometimes, he is not very good at basketball.

Ouch.  The audio was worse than his lowlights.

« Reply #1447 on: December 06, 2018, 06:42:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
good ol' LB back to antagonize the blog with his usual outrageous comments and promote his love of Philly at the same time

just my 2 cents, Philly is at best the 4th best team in the East behind Toronto, Celtics, Milwaukee.  maybe not even that high (behind possibly Indy and/or Detroit).  Philly will be fortunate to get that 4th seed by the end of the season and I don't see them beating any of the top 3 teams in a series.  conference semi-finals at best for Philly this year and probably next (if Kawhi resigns in Toronto).
Philly has the 3rd and 4th best player in the conference (Embiid and Butler) and Simmons is somewhere in the back half of the top 10.  Redick is a borderline top 25 player in the conference.  After that, they lack a lot of depth, but in the playoffs when the rotations tighten and the starters play 40 mpg, Philly's lack of depth will be a lot less noticeable.  If they enter the playoffs healthy, given their top end talent, they are going to be incredibly difficult to beat, and Butler absolutely adds a dimension to them they didn't have last year.  They had no one that can create a shot for himself off of the dribble like Butler can. 

LB has always been one that has appreciated what top end talent is and what top end talent actually means in the post season.  I do think his drive by Philly are awesome posts are a bit much, but I don't think he is just trolling either.

Butler as 4th best is very debatable. Simmons at top ten with how has played is flat out ridiculous.

« Reply #1448 on: December 06, 2018, 06:46:38 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Hilarious video.

I always thought if you can match his size (which we can with Baynes and Toronto can with JV), he’s a very different player. He can’t bully centers with strength and he turns into a shooter, which he isn’t nearly as good as he thinks he is. He really doesn’t want to bang in the half court, and can’t run all game.

Simmons reluctance to shoot will make them a predictable half court team (where playoff games are won). He’s over 100 games into his career without a single three. For a player who handles the ball around the perimeter as much as he does, that’s pretty crazy. Has he even taken one this season?

They can be flashy at times, but I think they lack substance compared to the other EC elite. I think they are closer to Indy/Detroit than Boston/Toronto.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #1449 on: December 06, 2018, 08:07:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Tatum is a higher level prospect then those guys were and is a significantly higher one than Lewis was.  He wasn't a greater prospect then Len Bias though.  Real shame what happened to him. 

But being a higher lever prospect doesn't mean you will end up a better player or have a better career.
No. Tatum is not a higher prospect than McHale or Pierce. Both players were considered good enough to go top 2 in their draft  and all three players had extremely similar per36 numbers their rookie yeaars

« Reply #1450 on: December 06, 2018, 09:20:11 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Pierce was projected as a top 3 pick in a really loaded draft. Not sure how we can say Tatum was higher than him. It’s possible it is a wash. I don’t know enough about Mchale as a prospect to comment on that one

« Reply #1451 on: December 06, 2018, 09:38:35 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Hilarious video.

I always thought if you can match his size (which we can with Baynes and Toronto can with JV), he’s a very different player. He can’t bully centers with strength and he turns into a shooter, which he isn’t nearly as good as he thinks he is. He really doesn’t want to bang in the half court, and can’t run all game.

Simmons reluctance to shoot will make them a predictable half court team (where playoff games are won). He’s over 100 games into his career without a single three. For a player who handles the ball around the perimeter as much as he does, that’s pretty crazy. Has he even taken one this season?

They can be flashy at times, but I think they lack substance compared to the other EC elite. I think they are closer to Indy/Detroit than Boston/Toronto.
And yet Embiid dominates Drummond.  He also dominated AD their last two matchups.  It shouldn't be surprising that Embiid looks bad at times.  He's only played 120 regular season games.  By comparison Jaylen Brown has played 167. 

« Reply #1452 on: December 06, 2018, 10:00:02 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Hilarious video.

And yet Embiid dominates Drummond.  He also dominated AD their last two matchups.  It shouldn't be surprising that Embiid looks bad at times.  He's only played 120 regular season games.  By comparison Jaylen Brown has played 167.

I get that. He is admittedly only 24 too (25 in March). Still, I'm not sure how long his prime will be. He has got to figure this out relatively soon.

Against good teams with smart players, he struggles to get into rhythm on both sides of the ball.

« Reply #1453 on: December 06, 2018, 10:02:55 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Pierce was projected as a top 3 pick in a really loaded draft. Not sure how we can say Tatum was higher than him. It’s possible it is a wash. I don’t know enough about Mchale as a prospect to comment on that one
If Pierce was projected top 3, why'd he drop to 10? 

« Reply #1454 on: December 06, 2018, 10:34:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

If Pierce was projected top 3, why'd he drop to 10?

Did you watch that draft or are you just trying to be difficult? It was the talk of the draft

http://m.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-tait/2014/jun/20/16-years-later-paul-pierce-falling-to-no/?templates=mobile

I’m really surprised you don’t know about this for how much you talk about the 76ers and draft picks every year