Author Topic: Patriots 2018 Season  (Read 76318 times)

Patriots 2018 Season
« on: September 09, 2018, 02:39:18 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Someone had to do it.

Pats get a break on a non-catch by Gronk. 

Very nice to see so many contributing on offense.  Dorsett with a great drive at the half -- 3 receptions and a TD.

Brady 3 TDs in the half.

On a Patriots competition note,  Rothlesberger throws 3 interceptions in the 1st half, yet Steelers lead the Browns 7-0. 

Re: Patriots 2018 Season
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 02:55:14 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
For anyone else doing the nonsensical Garoppolo watch --  7-17 for 81 yards no TDs so far.   Just threw a pick-6.

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 03:07:30 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
For anyone else doing the nonsensical Garoppolo watch --  7-17 for 81 yards no TDs so far.   Just threw a pick-6.

I'm doing the watch for another reason, I start him this week.  :-[ :-[ >:( :(
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 03:22:53 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

I'm doing the watch for another reason, I start him this week.  :-[ :-[ >:( :(

Well -- you got your Jimmy G TD -- but looking like this may be his first loss.

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 04:26:31 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm glad the Pats won, but it seems (just going by the boxscore; I didn't get to watch it) that it was closer than it should've been. Brady had a solid day, but nothing spectacular (threw a pick, didn't even reach 300 yards—he's my fantasy QB, so I'm a little harder on him :laugh: ), and the offense really sputtered in the second half.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 04:30:09 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I'm glad the Pats won, but it seems (just going by the boxscore; I didn't get to watch it) that it was closer than it should've been. Brady had a solid day, but nothing spectacular (threw a pick, didn't even reach 300 yards—he's my fantasy QB, so I'm a little harder on him :laugh: ), and the offense really sputtered in the second half.

Brady looked sharp. The interception came on a tip at the line of scrimmage and a good catch by the honey badger. Gronk also fumbled for the first time since like 2012. And some random punt returner for the pats fumbled a punt to give them a shot to get to 20. The patriots outplayed the Texans on both sides of the ball today.
#JKJB

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 04:58:28 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Brady looked sharp. The interception came on a tip at the line of scrimmage and a good catch by the honey badger. Gronk also fumbled for the first time since like 2012. And some random punt returner for the pats fumbled a punt to give them a shot to get to 20. The patriots outplayed the Texans on both sides of the ball today.

Good to hear. I did just see some highlights and saw the tipped pass, which wasn't his fault (I wish my fantasy league would take tipped balls into consideration, but I digress).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 05:37:12 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

I really wasn't 100% sure what to expect.  Brady was sharp -- and he also got decent protection most of the game. Gronk was pure Gronk (except for the fumble).  The muff was terrible -- Pats would likely have run the clock at that point and won easily.

Protection did start breaking down in the second half and Brady made a few nice escape throws.  I liked Dorsett today and they used Patterson very well -- a weapon!  James White also a weapon.  Rex ran well.  The defense also played well -- but not sure if we were mostly seeing a rusty, recovering Watson today -- though the pass rush was impressive. 

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 05:49:53 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I watched the entire game. Not as close as the final box score. Defense played great in first half then went into a flex eat up the clock give up the run D in 2nd half. Final score never felt in doubt.

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 06:50:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Most encouraging part of the game was the line play. Just excellent on both sides of the ball except for about half a quarter on the offensive side of the ball. But they were playing maybe the most talented and physical defensive line in the league in Watts, Clowney and Mercilus.

Lots of good stuff but lots of stuff for Bill to be upset over and to have them work on. Coaches always love wins like that. Makes for a team not getting to complacent, especially when practicing.

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 07:05:50 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff

I really wasn't 100% sure what to expect.  Brady was sharp -- and he also got decent protection most of the game. Gronk was pure Gronk (except for the fumble).  The muff was terrible -- Pats would likely have run the clock at that point and won easily.

Protection did start breaking down in the second half and Brady made a few nice escape throws.  I liked Dorsett today and they used Patterson very well -- a weapon!  James White also a weapon.  Rex ran well.  The defense also played well -- but not sure if we were mostly seeing a rusty, recovering Watson today -- though the pass rush was impressive.

I have to keep reminding myself that they will get their second best weapon back in 3 more weeks. Patterson/ Dorsett both look decent, and for what we need them for, its gravy. The Pat's offense is deep this year. Gronk/Edelman/Hogan/Dorsett/Patterson is very interesting. That's all before you account for Michel/Burkhead/White. I'm ecstatic with the play of Trent Brown. They need him to have a decent year. But boy is he enormous (6'8, 380)

Romo (I believe) was raving about how much better our defense is this year. While I'm sure alot of this was Watson being rusty, the defensive front 7 gave the Texans fits.

Overall an encouraging day.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 02:50:37 PM by A Future of Stevens »
#JKJB

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 10:03:24 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
People seem pretty impressed by the Pats defense so far (Game 1 in the books)

on this third-and-10 play, the Patriots collapsed the pocket from all directions. Trey Flowers converged from Watson’s right side, and Adrian Clayborn from his left, and then Deatrich Wise Jr., looped around to finish off the sack. Houston settled for a field goal.
The Patriots sacked Watson a total of three times in their 27–20 win against the Texans, and they hit him 12 times. From the start of the game, they made the second-year quarterback look uncomfortable in a way they hadn’t been able to last year, when Watson passed for 301 yards in just the second start of his NFL career.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/09/09/patriots-defense-trey-flowers-deatrich-wise-texans-nfl-week-1

But, isn't this more just the case of bad O-Line on the part of Houston rather than a hugely improved Pats D-Line?

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 11:21:03 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I have to keep reminding myself that they will get their second best weapon back in 3 more weeks. Patterson/ Dorsett both look decent, and for what we need them for, its gravy. The Pat's offense is deep this year. Gronk/Edelman/Hogan/Dorsett/Patterson is very interesting. That's all before you account for Michel/Burkhead/White. I'm ecstatic with the play of Troy Brown. They need him to have a decent year. But boy is he enormous (6'8, 380)

Romo (I believe) was raving about how much better our defense is this year. While I'm sure alot of this was Watson being rusty, the defensive front 7 gave the Texans fits.

Trent Brown

Unfortunately, Troy Brown is not walking through that door
I'm bitter.

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 12:00:16 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

I have to keep reminding myself that they will get their second best weapon back in 3 more weeks. Patterson/ Dorsett both look decent, and for what we need them for, its gravy. The Pat's offense is deep this year. Gronk/Edelman/Hogan/Dorsett/Patterson is very interesting. That's all before you account for Michel/Burkhead/White. I'm ecstatic with the play of Troy Brown. They need him to have a decent year. But boy is he enormous (6'8, 380)

Trent Brown

Troy would have been an interesting receiver at that size though.
Yup

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 02:50:59 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff

Trent Brown

Fixed, thanks Jim.
#JKJB