Author Topic: What to do with our 2018 pick[Merged Threads]  (Read 19221 times)

Re: Our late 1st round pick: potential candidates
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2018, 10:17:05 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The boston college guy looks pretty good

https://youtu.be/4O7xVi0Zykk

« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2018, 11:11:55 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

His efficiency was also pretty elite.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2018, 11:13:36 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
This is the ranking as of yesterday
http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft
Lonnie Walker (Miami)
Gary Trent Jr (duke)
Anfernee Simon (HS)
Troy Brown (Oregon)
Aaron Holiday (UCLA)
Jontay Porter  (Missouri)
Omari Spellman (Villanova)
27. Donte  DiVincenzo (Villanova)
Jerome Robinson (Boston College)
Jalen Brunson (villanova)
trevon duval (duke)

They have us projected to take Donte Divincenzo from Villanova. His playstyle is compared to Delonte west:

Does Divencenzo have to hook up with LeBron's mom?

« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2018, 12:48:37 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Granted, this information is coming via a relatively recent and quick google search, lol, but it sounds like his defense is quite poor, so that's not good.

« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2018, 06:42:22 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
With a pick that late, you have to shoot for the stars, so to speak. Pick the guy who has a 20% chance of being a star and an 80% chance of being a bust.

I think given the Celtics salary structure and future lux tax issues it's more important to make sure to try to find someone who projects as a solid rotation player, even if they have a lower ceiling. Filling out the bench with cost controlled, cheap talent is what will help us most.
I agree more with mef730.  This team already has a depth of talent.  A solid rotation player does nothing for this roster, and they certainly do not need multiple picks (somebody suggested trading down for 2 2nd rounders).  I see no downside to taking a risk on a guy who could be a star someday.  If such a player could be stashed, so much the better.  They don't need to pay another guaranteed 1st round contract while trying to re-sign Marcus Smart.

« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2018, 07:09:42 AM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Granted, this information is coming via a relatively recent and quick google search, lol, but it sounds like his defense is quite poor, so that's not good.

If that is true, there is no room for him on this team. Our offense is basically set going forward, we just need role guys who can D up and hit 3s when open. Having a long term off the dribble bench guy would be nice, but not if he gives up as many as he helps get.
#JKJB

Re: What to do with our 2018 pick[Merged Threads]
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2018, 07:34:08 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I agree with most that we are best suited to trade the pick or find a draft and stash project.  The only exception is if Danny sees a big man who can contribute right away.  This would provide us with some insurance if we lose Baynes.  It also puts less pressure on Theis to contribute immediately after returning from injury.

« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2018, 07:51:57 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I agree with most that we are best suited to trade the pick or find a draft and stash project.  The only exception is if Danny sees a big man who can contribute right away.  This would provide us with some insurance if we lose Baynes.  It also puts less pressure on Theis to contribute immediately after returning from injury.
Fair enough, but that prospect should be clearly better than Gershon Yabusele, who I think still has a nice upside.  It just seems like more bodies are not needed at this point.

« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2018, 08:42:34 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
With a pick that late, you have to shoot for the stars, so to speak. Pick the guy who has a 20% chance of being a star and an 80% chance of being a bust.

I think given the Celtics salary structure and future lux tax issues it's more important to make sure to try to find someone who projects as a solid rotation player, even if they have a lower ceiling. Filling out the bench with cost controlled, cheap talent is what will help us most.
I agree more with mef730.  This team already has a depth of talent.  A solid rotation player does nothing for this roster, and they certainly do not need multiple picks (somebody suggested trading down for 2 2nd rounders).  I see no downside to taking a risk on a guy who could be a star someday.  If such a player could be stashed, so much the better.  They don't need to pay another guaranteed 1st round contract while trying to re-sign Marcus Smart.
Danny still gets crucified here for taking a chance on a risky pick in the 20's.  I don't see it happening nor do I see a less than volatile reaction occurring here if he takes a risk.  (not that Danny cares what people here think when it comes to drafting).

The roster is fairly set going forward with wings in Brown, Tatum and Hayward.  We're likely set at PG with Kyrie and either Smart or Rozier (or both).  Frontcourt could get thin on established talent quickly this offseason with only Horford and Morris being the proven big men who we know will be returning.  Baynes and Monroe are free agents.  Theis had a decent rookie season but has to prove he can be consistent.  Yabu and Semi need to improve their games (and neither is really a center). 

I would not mind seeing Danny take a shot on a big man who could develop into a decent 4th big off the bench in a year or two.  I have no illusions that he'll find a big man that can become better than that at that point in the draft.  Not really seeing the need for a PG with Bird and Allen still available on 2-way deals.

« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2018, 09:49:54 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
If one of the couple Euro prospects with upside manage to slide, I'd pounce. Otherwise, I'd go with a guy that looks ready to fill an NBA role early rather than a project with more upside. Guys like Diallo might be better prospects, but they sure as hell aren't playing minutes on a contender.

« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2018, 02:48:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
If one of the couple Euro prospects with upside manage to slide, I'd pounce. Otherwise, I'd go with a guy that looks ready to fill an NBA role early rather than a project with more upside. Guys like Diallo might be better prospects, but they sure as hell aren't playing minutes on a contender.

Is this guy a good Euro stash candidate: RODIONS KURUCS? He looks Gordon Hayward like in highlights.

« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2018, 03:20:32 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236

Is this guy a good Euro stash candidate: RODIONS KURUCS? He looks Gordon Hayward like in highlights.

I'd be cool with him, as well as Musa is he somehow slid.

« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2018, 05:36:15 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Is the musa guy any good? I see him projected mid 1st

« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2018, 06:54:52 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
You need to target a guy with superior physical profile and a strong heart/good peronal , skills can be trained, and cut Larkin/Nader for space if needed to sign some Euro defensive big body for Embiid(or trained Yabu up)

Re: My 1st rd pick for the Celtics
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2018, 07:14:26 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Been seeing around the web that Robinson and Chandler Hutchison (sp?) likely already have promises