Author Topic: One silver lining: Sullinger just keeps improving.  (Read 12594 times)

Re: One silver lining: Sullinger just keeps improving.
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 11:47:43 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
What in the world could possibly make you think Sullinger will lead the league in rebounding?  You can say he's a good rebounder, but please come back to Earth.  Way too much hyperbole for me.

The day Sullinger shows the skill that Ben Wallace, Dennis Rodman, Charles Barkley, and Bill Russell did you can try again.  That's how elite you have to be to even come close to leading the league in rebounding from 6'8"ish (and I think you know Sullinger will never be even 1/4th as athletic as those guys).  Can you name anyone else?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 12:02:03 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
What in the world could possibly make you think Sullinger will lead the league in rebounding?  You can say he's a good rebounder, but please come back to Earth.  Way too much hyperbole for me.

The day Sullinger shows the skill that Ben Wallace, Dennis Rodman, Charles Barkley, and Bill Russell did you can try again.  That's how elite you have to be to even come close to leading the league in rebounding from 6'8"ish (and I think you know Sullinger will never be even 1/4th as athletic as those guys).  Can you name anyone else?

Kevin Love lead the league in rebounding two years ago.
Zach Randolph second in the league this year.
Reggie Evans has the top rebounding percentage in the league. 
Nicola Vucevic just grabbed 29 rebounds in one game.
It's premature to think that Sullinger will lead the league in rebounding, but there have been plenty of people with his size and athleticism who have been great rebounders. 
Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer, David West, Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap etc. have all put up impressive rebounding numbers at one point or another.
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 12:05:13 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't think Sully will ever lead the league in rebounding in the C's system.  And that't not a bad thing.  He plays a lot more defense already, than a lot of the guys who just attack the boards. 

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 12:17:28 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
But who wants Bass? What a mistake it was to trade big baby for him.

Sully and Davis while both a little undersized upfront in terms of length would of been two wicked pieces for our front court. Would of been a very smart duo out there

I remember MANY here thought we got a steal when we traded bass for baby. I for one wasn't convinced then and even less convinced now. Bass is a one trick pony. If that elbow J isnt falling he's useless. He's looking worse and worse every game. At least baby hustles, took charges, grabbed rebounds and really could score. His issue was that he pouted. He would have outgrown that. I want bass outta here on the next thing smoking IF we can include him in any trades. Sully IS Da Man!
It was a steal. It might have been a good idea to try and sign & trade him once they drafted Sullinger and decided to resign green. Or it might have made sense to just let him walk.

But they traded an expired BBD demanding a contract that Boston wouldn't give. They traded him for an expiring Bass who ended up in the starting lineup and key part of a playoff run that was very close to another finals appearance.

What they did after Bass expired, doesn't change the steal part. (And that's a pretty good contract they have on Bass. He very well may be a key asset in a trade, or be the asset that allows them to trade Sully.)

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 12:38:17 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Sully and this season is reminding me of 06-07 Big Al.

I'm tuning in, expecting to lose, but most interested to see if Sully can get a double double lol

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 12:43:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I hope I am wrong but looking at his rookie stats he doesn't project as a 20/10 or all star guy folks.   I want to be wrong on this but I think there is a lot of hometown bias on this thread.   His stats are barely better than Glen Davis as a rookie.

I think he does have a place in the league.   Cream always rises but I think some of these projections are homerists at best and delusional at the least.   

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 12:48:40 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
He is improving. I like the way he's contributing and I hope it's a steady improvement.

I'm not asking for a 20/10 guy (although him being one would be fantastic), but if he could give us 14 ppg, 6-7 rebs, a block on 50% shooting, solid effort and defense I'd be so happy.

Also, I want him to grow, maybe 2 inches more? I mean the man can dream right? Paul George grew, here's hoping he does as well. I mean if he's 6'11", he'll be VERY useful.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 12:51:11 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I hope I am wrong but looking at his rookie stats he doesn't project as a 20/10 or all star guy folks.   I want to be wrong on this but I think there is a lot of hometown bias on this thread.   His stats are barely better than Glen Davis as a rookie.

I think he does have a place in the league.   Cream always rises but I think some of these projections are homerists at best and delusional at the least.

I think he's guarensheeeed to be better than Davis. His post game alone should do that. I think his stats would be better if we started giving him post ups instead of Bass(turn around jumper) and Green(right handed dead down flip shot). I die a little inside everytime they are in the post.

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 12:53:03 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
He is improving. I like the way he's contributing and I hope it's a steady improvement.

I'm not asking for a 20/10 guy (although him being one would be fantastic), but if he could give us 14 ppg, 6-7 rebs, a block on 50% shooting, solid effort and defense I'd be so happy.

Also, I want him to grow, maybe 2 inches more? I mean the man can dream right? Paul George grew, here's hoping he does as well. I mean if he's 6'11", he'll be VERY useful.

LOL, yea, why not? Let's keep feeding him and maybe he will grow!

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 12:57:28 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Cream always rises but I think some of these projections are homerists at best and delusional at the least.

Quoted for truth.

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 12:59:19 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

There's this thing called Cherifer in the Philippines. I'd be happy to order him some if it will work, and not a banned substance.

http://www.cherifer.ph/

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 01:01:27 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

There's this thing called Cherifer in the Philippines. I'd be happy to order him some if it will work, and not a banned substance.

I'll chip in too. Maybe we can ask Bird what the Pacers gave to Paul George.

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 01:05:14 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Kevin Love lead the league in rebounding two years ago.
Zach Randolph second in the league this year.
Reggie Evans has the top rebounding percentage in the league. 
Nicola Vucevic just grabbed 29 rebounds in one game.
It's premature to think that Sullinger will lead the league in rebounding, but there have been plenty of people with his size and athleticism who have been great rebounders. 
Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer, David West, Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap etc. have all put up impressive rebounding numbers at one point or another.

David "my man" Lee. C'mon now, talk about 6'9" not so athletic guy but rebounds the heck of the ball. I think technique brings some. But more importantly, the desire. If he really wants to rebound, he'll go after every miss, assume every shot is a miss and positions himself. Fight for it. I see David Lee do this every game and granted, he maybe a little more athletic than Sully, he's not as athletic as some guys he goes against but he'll end up with 10-12 boards a night.

I think Sully can be that rebounder, if he has the desire and with that the technique comes in as well.

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2013, 01:07:07 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I'll chip in too. Maybe we can ask Bird what the Pacers gave to Paul George.

I'll make Avery take some as well.

Imagine if he's 6'6" and Sully at 6'11". There's our future right there. (The man can dream right?).

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2013, 01:16:26 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Um, what?  I don't think I've ever met one single person from the Phillipines who stands more the 6ft.

Great people, just really short.