Author Topic: Cavaliers May Beat Us In A Potential Bidding War For Anthony Davis  (Read 12345 times)

Re: Cavaliers May Beat Us In A Potential Bidding War For Anthony Davis
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2017, 01:57:34 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Just another Doom and Gloom thread by Phantom.  I guess our new team played to well in the preseason that we have to look for other things to worry about.

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2017, 03:05:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Just another Doom and Gloom thread by Phantom.  I guess our new team played to well in the preseason that we have to look for other things to worry about.

Right... so I'm really the Dan Shaugnessy around here, huh?  :P

I tend to be more optimistic around here but also realistic as well. Didn't realize I made a ton of doom and gloom threads on here though lol.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2017, 04:07:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I tend to be more optimistic around here but also realistic as well. Didn't realize I made a ton of doom and gloom threads on here though lol.

I don't notice you being particularly doom and gloom. This thread seems particularly bizarre though because Cleveland has one of the least tradeable rosters in the NBA. Lebron and IT are completely untradable. They have no young prospects and one probable lottery pick. The New York Knicks would be a bigger threat. Really don't get this thread.

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2017, 04:55:21 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Why would anyone want to play for CLE once LeBron bolts?  if he has any sense he would not go there.  It is not a basketball town unless they are winning.  It is pretending that they are basketball town but once they stink again it won't be.

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2017, 05:38:55 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Why would anyone want to play for CLE once LeBron bolts?  if he has any sense he would not go there.  It is not a basketball town unless they are winning.  It is pretending that they are basketball town but once they stink again it won't be.

Thank god for your common sense.

« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2017, 10:37:16 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I don't notice you being particularly doom and gloom. This thread seems particularly bizarre though because Cleveland has one of the least tradeable rosters in the NBA. Lebron and IT are completely untradable. They have no young prospects and one probable lottery pick. The New York Knicks would be a bigger threat. Really don't get this thread.

The Knicks could be another threat, I agree, but what can they offer besides draft picks while trying to keep Porzingis?

Also, CLE can offer Love as salary, the Nets Pick, some 2021 first rounder (likely post-Lebron so could be valuable pick) a nice piece like Crowder and maybe a nice young piece like Zizic? Not a horrible package and could be enticing if BKN pick lands Top-3. They may also be able to take back a bad contract from Pelicans and offer a Shumpert I believe (which could entice NOP to deal with CLE also).

I think if CLE acquires Davis, it would mean Lebron stays for good in CLE.

Might mean a weaker bench/depth but Lebron would be foolish to leave the situation still in CLE IF AD is coming.

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2017, 10:48:16 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Just another Doom and Gloom thread by Phantom.

Really living up to your name, Phantom!

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2017, 11:23:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

The Knicks could be another threat, I agree, but what can they offer besides draft picks while trying to keep Porzingis?

Also, CLE can offer Love as salary, the Nets Pick, some 2021 first rounder (likely post-Lebron so could be valuable pick) a nice piece like Crowder and maybe a nice young piece like Zizic? Not a horrible package and could be enticing if BKN pick lands Top-3. They may also be able to take back a bad contract from Pelicans and offer a Shumpert I believe (which could entice NOP to deal with CLE also).

Might mean a weaker bench/depth but Lebron would be foolish to leave the situation still in CLE IF AD is coming.

Phantom your making no sense here. Love is on the back half of his career and is making top dollar. If the pelicans decide they have to blow it up and start over (which says nothing of their 150 million investment in holiday) the last thing they will want to do is invest in a fringe all star nearing decline. When are you envisioning this trade happening? I think you could make a compelling case for 20 teams in the league offering a great deal for Davis. Cleveland is less likely then all of them... let's discuss some more reasonable ones

« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2017, 11:32:52 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
If the LAL are loosing and their pick looks to transfer Danny wont make a move for AD.  yeah he's great but were are about to be a super team.  Tatum looks for real and hopefully is still growing. If he grows an inch he's PG13 on the cheep.  IF he grows two inches to 6'10 look out NBA, but even at 6'8 and a few more pounds of mussel he can handle the 4 spot.  Brown is looking to be a Jimmy butler clone.  With pick 2-5 we can most likely get one of Ayton, Bagley, or Bamba, that's a franchise center and legit rim protector.  We're rolling out a pretty awesome team this year and that LAL pick will definitively close the rebuild and leave us with a seriously nasty starting 5:
PG:  Irving 6'3
SG:  Brown 6'7
SF:  Hayward 6'8
PF:  Tatum 6'9 (lets say he grows an inch, plus he looks more like 6'9 than 6'8 right now anyway)
 C:  Ayton 7'0 (260lbs beast! and can shoot the 3)

That starting five would move the ball so well and create crazy space as all five can stroke the three and create their own shot.  In that lineup Brown would probably being the worst shooter on the floor and he's not really all that bad.  We don't need to trade for AD we can draft him or a close facsimile next year.  Even if we need to take the Kings pick in 2019, that pick plus our three other 2019 firsts could get us Bol Bol, who is showing a 3 point stroke.   AD is great but we don't need him.

DING DING DING we have a winner. No need to gut teal for AD. Danny should stay the course and build the rest of this team through the LAL/SAC pick.

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2017, 09:43:48 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Just another Doom and Gloom thread by Phantom.

Really living up to your name, Phantom!

All part of the plan! ;)

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2017, 09:47:05 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Phantom your making no sense here. Love is on the back half of his career and is making top dollar. If the pelicans decide they have to blow it up and start over (which says nothing of their 150 million investment in holiday) the last thing they will want to do is invest in a fringe all star nearing decline. When are you envisioning this trade happening? I think you could make a compelling case for 20 teams in the league offering a great deal for Davis. Cleveland is less likely then all of them... let's discuss some more reasonable ones

Part of the reasoning is that teams will have to send salary back, and between Horford and Love, teams like NOP would probably prefer Love. By next year Love is also an expiring I believe (player option 5th year)

Again I don't think an AD trade gets done this season anyways and it's something to monitor (we also have time to see how Tatum and Brown do). If he does get traded it won't be until next summer at earliest (if Pelicans suck this season too).

« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2017, 11:14:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Part of the reasoning is that teams will have to send salary back, and between Horford and Love, teams like NOP would probably prefer Love. By next year Love is also an expiring I believe (player option 5th year)

Again I don't think an AD trade gets done this season anyways and it's something to monitor (we also have time to see how Tatum and Brown do). If he does get traded it won't be until next summer at earliest (if Pelicans suck this season too).
The Pelicans also could theoretically determine that Cousins and Davis aren't a great fit, but go the optimization of value route and re-sign Cousins and then trade Davis for other pieces.  In that type of scenario, acquiring someone like Love to play with Cousins would have some merit as would swapping out players like Hill and Moore for players like Smith and Shumpert.  Add in the BKN rookie and the Pelicans have a remade, but still solid team with Cousins, Love, Holiday, Smith, BKN, etc.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2017, 10:00:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

The Pelicans also could theoretically determine that Cousins and Davis aren't a great fit, but go the optimization of value route and re-sign Cousins and then trade Davis for other pieces.  In that type of scenario, acquiring someone like Love to play with Cousins would have some merit as would swapping out players like Hill and Moore for players like Smith and Shumpert.  Add in the BKN rookie and the Pelicans have a remade, but still solid team with Cousins, Love, Holiday, Smith, BKN, etc.

You spend an incredible amount of time thinking of ways to help Cleveland

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2017, 11:57:02 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

You spend an incredible amount of time thinking of ways to help Cleveland

I wonder why...  ;)

« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2017, 12:16:03 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
One of the silliest threads I've seen on CB.

One of our young stars + 2 potentially good draft picks is better than anything CLE can offer in the very unlikely event AD becomes available. NO isn't looking for something like Kevin Love in return for AD.

OP must sit around looking for new things to worry about or trash the Celts over.