Author Topic: Toronto as a threat to Celtics  (Read 7561 times)

Toronto as a threat to Celtics
« on: July 20, 2018, 06:37:53 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
The addition of Kawhi and subtraction of DeRozen may not sit well with Lowry and teammates having to deal with a player that doesn't want to be there.Then the aspect of playing at 100% effort on defense as well as offence.There may be conflict with fans who DeRozen cultivated with his desire and loyalty to Toronto.
The loss of a NBA front line coach.What is to motivate Kawhi -not pride .He didn't get back for playoffs .Will he jeopardize his going to LA with an injury or will he bow out at the first sprained ankle.
I believe this is a sideways move to get Kawli to LA and not waste a season of Lebrons  and a trade will go down with Toronto getting some young pieces and a draft choice.Toronto got themselves out of a bad contract and will start their rebuild.
If the Raptors envision him playing they better get him in Toronto while the weathers good.JOKE
Team chemistry is necessary to win a championship and that is a unlikely event with this trade.
Boston had a number one defense that will get better with Hayward and Jason getting stronger.We have in essence the same team back plus Wannamaker a taller reserve than Larkin.
Kawhi just sat out a whole season ,has stayed firm in his resolution about getting to LA is going to suffer huge taxes in Canada and a city on a lake not the Pacific Ocean is not going to cut it.
NO! NO! NO! this is good for Celtics unless there is a miracle. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 01:45:02 PM by rollie mass »

Re: Toronto as a threat to Celtics
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 06:51:46 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
They weren't going to challenge the Celtics before the thread. Now they potentially have a better chance. I say potentially because you don't know if Leonard is 100% or motivated enough. Their ceiling is better but their floor is lower than before the trade.

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 07:00:26 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I'm not sure if "dealing with a player that doesn't want to be there" is a real thing. I think it's more like "dealing with a player that will go elsewhere once the season is over" is more like it but it's a common thing in the NBA right now. The fact that Kawhi is a top 5 player, or so, in the league and DeRozan is not makes Toronto a real threat.

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 07:21:55 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think a lot of people are sleeping on the Raptors. I fear them as a legitimate threat in the East to the Celtics. They won 59 games and have gotten Kawhi Freakin Leonard. I believe he is healthy and once he steps on the court will play hard. They are long, athletic and deep.

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 07:31:03 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
The Raptors are absolutely a threat as long as Kawhi is 100%.  I'm not banking on Kawhi being disgruntled for the entire reason.  He will step his game up once the playoffs arrive. 

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 07:56:26 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Raptors replaced derozan with Leonard and celtics add
Hayward

Maybe I am biased but the celtics improve more than the raptors

In the off-season celtics the EC finalists add Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward....

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 08:31:55 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think we are still the better team.

We are basically adding Hayward without giving up anyone.  Yes,  he is coming off a major injury but say 80% of Hayward probably beats the gap of adding Leonard and losing DeRozan especially factoring in Leonard’s injury and motivation a huge question mark.

At age 32 Lowry had his lowest PPG in 5 years, and he seemed pretty inconsistent last year.  Maybe he stops being considered a star soon.  Meanwhile even though our PG is coming off surgery he is entering his prime and an elite PG in the league.

Toronto is a deep team with nice youth, but so aren’t we but our youth has a much higher upside with Tatum and Brown on the verge of stardom.

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 08:43:43 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
We need to send a message to the Raptors this year as they've just about owned us the past couple of years, regardless of who was healthy and who wasn't. Different year but we need to put a beating on them or else Brad has to make some adjustments to how we play them. They blew us out 5 times the past 2 years and we haven't won in Toronto since I can't remember when.

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 08:52:57 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Raptor threat is real. If Leonard is 100% healthy and engaged, they are right there with the Cs imo. They have the length and swing/wing players to matchup defensively vs the C's and the best overall player on both teams. I think they are legit (if Leonard is physically/mentally there). They are going to give Cs a run for their money imo.

Toronto is also desperate to get to finals so I would not be surprised to see them make another big move. They will try everything to convince Leonard to stay.

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 08:58:40 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Talent wise, celtics are much better I would say.

not only do we add Hayward, but expect an improved Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown. The tatum in the beginning of the year is a total different player than the guy we saw after Kyrie got injured...and will be a total different player next year.

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 09:21:11 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
New coach, less depth, less talent, uncertainty with Leonard.

Toronto was way overrated before. Leonard is a much better play than Derozan, but it’s still not good enough in comparison to what we have.

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 10:14:09 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I'm only worried about 1 thing - my team, the C's.  It ALL depends on our health.

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 10:23:02 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Threat??

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 10:24:24 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Talent wise the Raptors don't hold a candle to our roster... Kawhi/Lowry/OG/Ibaka? Lol don't make me laugh.. If that is their definition of their Big 4, I'll be utterly amazed as Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Horford, Irving, Smart, and whoever else steps up manhandles their bench and their starting five.  :angel: :laugh: ::) ::) ::)
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2018, 10:34:36 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Well, they're either the biggest or second biggest challenger to Boston in the East right now.

However, unless injuries plague the Celtics again, I don't see TOR getting past the Celtics in the playoffs. If Kawhi gets back to 100%, they will have the best player in the series, though.  Which is always dangerous.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team