Author Topic: Pick one to build a team around: Anthony Davis or Karl Towns  (Read 10188 times)

Re: Pick one to build a team around: Anthony Davis or Karl Towns
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 01:30:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Is it insane to even consider Towns over Davis at this point?

Yes.  We don't even know if Towns is the best big man in his draft class yet.

Agreed.

We need an "I agree with this post" emoji.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 12:31:59 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Amazing season by KAT to even make this a discussion, but it's Davis. KAT has had a very promising start and he looks like superstar material, but lots of guys have started hot and fizzled to some degree.

AD is already a superstar. Barring career-altering injury, he's a sure-fire hall of famer and quite possibly a repeat-offender MVP.

We still don't know exactly what KAT is. He could be as good as AD, or possibly even better, but there's still a decent chance that he falls short of superstardom.

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 12:50:51 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Durability might be the tiebreaker, but there's this:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&y1=2013&p1=davisan02&y2=2016&p2=townska01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

You take the sure thing for now but so far, so good for KAT.

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2016, 02:40:37 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
so we're a little over half way through Towns rookie season.  He's only 20 years old.  Yes, it's early... but I think i've seen enough at this point that if I was forced to choose between Towns and Davis, I'm going with Towns.  That kid is going to be unbelievable. 

We're starting to see flashes of what this kid is going to do when he starts getting 35+ minutes per game.   

Over his past 5 games, he's averaged 23.6 points, 12.4 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 2.4 blocks, 0.8 steals in 33.6mpg with 69%/50%/89% shooting

It's the 3-point shooting that pushes him over the top for me.  He's basically a prototypical big man for the next generation.  He's also bigger than Davis.   

I know it's still early, but people told me it was early when I called rookie Anthony Davis the second coming of Kevin Garnett.

Honestly they are pretty similar.   

Davis as a rookie put up per-36 numbers of 16.9 points, 10.2 rebounds, 1.2 assists, 1.5 steals and 2.2 blocks with 51%/0%/75%. 

Towns as a rookie putting up per-36 numbers of 19.7 points, 12 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 0.8 steals and 2.2 blocks with 53%/38%/86%

We all expected Davis to be the best player in the league someday.  He's a hell of a player.  I think Towns is going to be even better.   

You know honestly... look at Davis' per-36 this season:  22.9 points, 10.2 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 1.3 steals and 2.4 blocks with 49%/28%/76%.   It's actually kind of worse than rookie Towns. 

I think it's a reach to say Towns is better than Davis right now.  He's only a rookie.  But when you factor in Davis' already being semi injury prone, potentially already a weaker rebounder and offensive player... Sorry, but long term, I'm definitely going with Towns.

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2016, 02:53:40 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
very interesting topic. Id love to have both but given the evidence so far, Id go with the more sure thing, Davis. Towns for now is not a sure thing, although things are certainly looking up, while with Davis its safer. It is also easier to put a team around Davis as he does more things even without the ball. But I wont be crying if I have KAT instead.

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2016, 02:54:07 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Here's Towns 32 points tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42jlDszQyd8

He's already really really good.  His range makes him special. 

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2016, 03:31:35 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I remember, last season but one, I suggested in the trade forum that should we land the number one pick we should trade to New Orleans for Anthony Davis straight up. We didn't get the number one pick, and now we are hoping Marcus Smart is the gem he could possibly become. water under the bridge.

Anyway,  right now for me it would depend on whether I want to build this contender Lakers' style (free agency coups) in which I would vouch for Anthony Davis' track record, or Celtics' style (drafting, and trading assets), in which case I want Towns' upside
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2016, 04:59:37 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Towns Lar, it's not even close for me. Towns was my binkie from the moment I first saw him.

He hasn't even shown all he can do yet. He's unreal.

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2016, 09:52:31 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
It might seem ridiculous, because Anthony Davis seems like the next NBA superstar... and he is...

Averaging 24 points, 11 rebounds, 1.5 assits, 2.7 blocks, 1.4 steals with 48%/35%/74% shooting in 36 minutes.  He's 6'10 253.  He's only 22 years old.  Dude is the real deal.  Of course, the Pelicans haven't accomplished anything yet, but that guy is a bonafide franchise player...

But is he going to be better than Karl Towns?  7 foot 244lb Towns is like like a prototypical big man for the year 2015.  He can seemingly do everything.  Inside scoring, defend, ball handing, shooting for distance, etc.  He's a freak.

He's only played 21 games, but he's averaging 15.3 points, 9.3 rebounds, 1 assist, 2.2 blocks, 0.7 steals with 53%/44%/81% shooting.   That compares favorably (so far) to Davis' rookie averages of 13.5 poins, 8.2 rebounds, 1 assist, 1.8 blocks, 1.2 steals with 52%/0%/75%.

Actually, it's kind of freaky but if you take Town's rookie stats and project it to 36 minutes, he's putting up numbers pretty similar to Davis already:  19.1 points, 12 rebounds, 2.8 blocks.  I can't imagine what that kid is going to look like in a few years.  He's legit.

Just curious... if you had to pick one to build a team around (forget about the fact that Towns is on a rookie scale salary), which would you take?  Is it insane to even consider Towns over Davis at this point?

This is easy.

Towns might become the next AD

AD already is AD

Problem is that NOP has been unable so far to put a good supporting cast around him, but this is not his fault.

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2016, 10:56:41 AM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
Towns. He's not only skilled as hell but he may have the best possible person mentoring him right now- I'm not saying this kid wouldn't  work hard without KG because he seems like a good kid and would work already, but to have KG push you to your absolute limit is doing wonders for that kid's game mentally. I don't expect Towns to be a softy. I'm not disrespecting AD either. He's a monster player and I feel bad that he doesn't have the right cast around him to win because he's a winner. But Towns is gonna develop killer instinct. I see Towns having an overall better future.

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2016, 10:58:01 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
It might seem ridiculous, because Anthony Davis seems like the next NBA superstar... and he is...

Averaging 24 points, 11 rebounds, 1.5 assits, 2.7 blocks, 1.4 steals with 48%/35%/74% shooting in 36 minutes.  He's 6'10 253.  He's only 22 years old.  Dude is the real deal.  Of course, the Pelicans haven't accomplished anything yet, but that guy is a bonafide franchise player...

But is he going to be better than Karl Towns?  7 foot 244lb Towns is like like a prototypical big man for the year 2015.  He can seemingly do everything.  Inside scoring, defend, ball handing, shooting for distance, etc.  He's a freak.

He's only played 21 games, but he's averaging 15.3 points, 9.3 rebounds, 1 assist, 2.2 blocks, 0.7 steals with 53%/44%/81% shooting.   That compares favorably (so far) to Davis' rookie averages of 13.5 poins, 8.2 rebounds, 1 assist, 1.8 blocks, 1.2 steals with 52%/0%/75%.

Actually, it's kind of freaky but if you take Town's rookie stats and project it to 36 minutes, he's putting up numbers pretty similar to Davis already:  19.1 points, 12 rebounds, 2.8 blocks.  I can't imagine what that kid is going to look like in a few years.  He's legit.

Just curious... if you had to pick one to build a team around (forget about the fact that Towns is on a rookie scale salary), which would you take?  Is it insane to even consider Towns over Davis at this point?

This is easy.

Towns might become the next AD

AD already is AD

Problem is that NOP has been unable so far to put a good supporting cast around him, but this is not his fault.

... And surrounded him with dumb coaches

... And have failed to play him at his best position = center position.

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2016, 11:06:02 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Davis. Just because he is that good right now. Town is really good and may end up as good or better, but I'd still stick with Davis.

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 10:36:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Towns over the past 10 games: 

21.6 points, 12.7 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 0.7 steals, 2.2 blocks with 60%/43%/85% shooting in 34.2mpg

They just beat the Clippers and the Bulls.   He's a 20 year old rookie.  How good can this kid be?

Also... how sure are we that Davis is better right now given role/surrounding talent/system?  Towns 3-point shooting makes him a transcendent prospect.

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2016, 10:40:09 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Towns over the past 10 games: 

21.6 points, 12.7 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 0.7 steals, 2.2 blocks with 60%/43%/85% shooting in 34.2mpg

They just beat the Clippers and the Bulls.   He's a 20 year old rookie.  How good can this kid be?

Also... how sure are we that Davis is better right now given role/surrounding talent/system?  Towns 3-point shooting makes him a transcendent prospect.

Towns could be an All-Time Great. He's a perennial First Team All-NBA player. He may also be my favorite player to watch in the entire league.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2016, 10:41:19 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Right now? The brow, no question. Town's stats are pretty impressive but not outstanding. Tyreke Evans had an impressive rookie year too. Look how it turned out. I'll wait 3-4 years to see how he turns out.