Author Topic: Rondo just on WEEI  (Read 11997 times)

Re: Rondo just on WEEI
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 11:22:25 AM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
In a way it seems like he wants more money rather then more rings. And big deal if he's in the gym everyday, I'm in the gym everyday playing and putting up j's to get better for my upcoming freshmen year, just matters on what he's working on, how long and if it shows up this fall,winter,spring and hopefully summer.

How old his he? My first concern would be getting paid too. Take care of myself and my family, and then go for the rings. Anyone who says they wouldnt do the same is a liar.

If he was wise with his money he has ALREADY taken care of his family for life, given that he's already made > $5MM in his career.  And, if not, with ANY contract he signs next, whether it be for $8MM per or $15MM per, his family will be set for life.  So, to think that he'll be more happy with $15MM per year playing on a lotto team, vs. $10MM for the C's with yearly title hopes, is not lying.  It's just priorities.  I, for one, have made the decision years back to stop climbing a management track and to pursue a career path where I'm making way less money ... cause I'm enjoying it way more.

You can't compare your situation to Rondos for a variety of reasons.

One is that, on a winning team, there is more expectations and pressure, and he'll have to work harder. I imagine in your situation, that was your "management" route. While, if he goes to a lottery team and gets a big pay day, he'll have less pressure, less media, & less expectations for winning - and making more money. The opposite of your situation.

One could argue- that you did not chose the "winning team" - of working hard and becoming management, but instead your in the stress free life of the lotto team.  (money aside)

And after a rookie contract- he'll need a lot more to take care of his family with the expensive NBA lifestyle, full of mansions and cars. A lot of players end of broke after their career - albeir their irresponsible, but still - there's a reason you dont have every all star playing for the minimum to win.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 11:29:22 AM by bobdelt »

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 11:25:54 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
He sounded as dumbfounded by the ' controversy ' as most did. 

0% he's going anywhere.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 11:27:27 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
He was also at the 9:30 "Pelham 123" in Framingham last night.

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 11:28:44 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
There is no guarantee that you win anywhere you go and whatever contract you sign.

The only guarantee is that you will receive the money in the contract you sign.

Look at McDyess who took a hometown discount to return to Detroit when he would have been better off staying with Denver.

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 12:17:13 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Rondo said he was working on his offseason plan with Thibs, right? Negotiations must be going well.

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 12:49:48 PM »

Offline bigmck

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
Rondo: "I can be stubborn...great players are going to be stubborn at times."

http://www.redsarmy.com/home/2009/06/rondo-on-weei.html

That automated transcript is hilarious in some spots. I transcribed the first 9 minutes or so.

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 01:13:30 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
I heard nothing on the interview that would make me want to trade Rondo. And he doesn't sound greedy at all. He strives to be the best, which is great imo.

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 01:33:51 PM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
hasn't "touched a ball yet."...

::)

He should be shooting every day for a few hours...

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 01:58:50 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
"I like to show up late so I don't waste time"

Anyone else find this disturbing? :-\
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 02:00:10 PM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
that is awesome

is it too egotistical of me to wonder if he's reacting to my article yesterday? (or at least that the interviewer took some questions from that column and others from this site - Roy's stuff in particular)

can't wait to hear the audio but thanks for the recap

It wouldn't surprise me.  In fact I betcha.

I'm going to wait for the pod-cast this time.  I learned my lesson with Wyc the other day. :-[
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 02:00:30 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

No. It's just for games, and people have different ways to get ready for them and have their heads in the right frame of mind. It's not like he's coming late constantly for practices, etc.

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 02:05:32 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245

No. It's just for games, and people have different ways to get ready for them and have their heads in the right frame of mind. It's not like he's coming late constantly for practices, etc.

"We're talking about pregame, man. I mean, how silly is that? We're talking about pregame. I know I'm supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example . . . I know it's important . . . I honestly do. But we're talking about pregame, man. What are we talking about? Pregame?"

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2009, 02:06:31 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
hasn't "touched a ball yet."...

::)

He should be shooting every day for a few hours...

He specifically says that the celtics coachs have told them (the players) to do no basketball activities until they have thier summer workout programs worked out for them, which he says he expects to be coming soon (says he is working with tibs on his now).

I'm actually kind of surprised (and pleased) he's in the gym everyday, from his qoute about the team not wanting them to do basketball activities until told to, im sure they were pretty much ordered to take a month off to rest before starting to work out hard.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2009, 02:14:19 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Very interesting interview. As others mentioned, it's funny because it seems that WEEI and Rondo have been reading Celticsblog the last few days since they talked about almost everything that was discussed a lot on the blog since the end of the season. ;D

I liked what Rondo said, and especially his answers to "tough" subjects such as the trade rumors and his attitude. He seemed quite surprised and disappointed by the rumors about him possibly being traded, and I think it will help him to work harder this summer. It's also interesting to learn the Celtics staff told the players to "avoid" basketball until they don't receive their workout programs.

My only concern for Rondo related to his answers in the interview is that he seemed pretty evasive about the big money and contract topic. Still, it seems normal because this is not a topic that players usually discuss in public, but I don't know, I have the feeling that he won't hesitate to leave Boston for a bigger contract next year. We'll see but still Rondo seemed true in his answers and I like what I've learnt from it.

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2009, 02:30:28 PM »

Offline pengaloo

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 76
Very interesting interview. As others mentioned, it's funny because it seems that WEEI and Rondo have been reading Celticsblog the last few days since they talked about almost everything that was discussed a lot on the blog since the end of the season. ;D

I liked what Rondo said, and especially his answers to "tough" subjects such as the trade rumors and his attitude. He seemed quite surprised and disappointed by the rumors about him possibly being traded, and I think it will help him to work harder this summer. It's also interesting to learn the Celtics staff told the players to "avoid" basketball until they don't receive their workout programs.

My only concern for Rondo related to his answers in the interview is that he seemed pretty evasive about the big money and contract topic. Still, it seems normal because this is not a topic that players usually discuss in public, but I don't know, I have the feeling that he won't hesitate to leave Boston for a bigger contract next year. We'll see but still Rondo seemed true in his answers and I like what I've learnt from it.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said. While he seemed somewhat evasive about the contract topic, I've never heard Rondo elaborate on anything as much as he did when talking about the drawbacks of a max contract... he sounded as thoughtful as Ray Allen there. I'm guessing that he wants it, but at the end of the day (for now), he has to face reality, and isn't going to ask for it.

Last year, his personal goal was to make the all-defensive team, and he did it. This year, his personal goal is to be the top PG in the NBA...  I think we'll be in for a crazy ride next season.

As for not picking up a basketball, I wouldn't be surprised if the Celtics staff's first order of the day for the players after getting kicked out of the playoffs is rest, and plenty of it.