Poll

Who is more likely to be a starter or sixth man and contribute on a nightly basis?

Tony Allen
Gerald Green
Bill Walker

Author Topic: Which player has more potential  (Read 6602 times)

Re: Which player has more potential
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 02:23:43 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Yeah, I picked Walker for the same reasons as most others - it's a competition with two guys who have already shown they can't fill that role. It's really not much of a choice and doesn't give an actual grade on what people generally think of Walker. He's also more likely to be a sixth man this season than Larry Bird or Magic Johnson. But that doesn't say how likely it is.

The fact that even one person thinks Tony Allen has more potential actually tells as much as the fact that everybody else says Walker.

"If Doc played him he'd be nasty." Not so sure about that. The decent jumper part definitely seems wrong. So does the crossover line, I haven't seen good ballhandling from him.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 02:30:21 PM »

Offline fugazzi24

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 17
Bill Walker needs to model his game after Trevor Ariza and Mikeal Pietrus and become an athletic 3 man that can knock down open 3's and play defense.  If he does that he will be in the league for a long time. 

He defintely has more potential than TA and GG. 

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 02:40:52 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Tony Allen still has potential...as an expiring contract  ;)

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 03:20:27 PM »

Offline KG

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 23
  • Don't tread on D
Bill Walker, because we've seen how Tony has done in his current role.  Not very well.  I think TA has more potential than he's shown though, just not as much as Walker.

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 03:24:26 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Bill Walker, because we've seen how Tony has done in his current role.  Not very well.  I think TA has more potential than he's shown though, just not as much as Walker.

yea mabey if TA was a younger player I'd by that. he's closer to 30 than 22.

I know who tony allen is at this point, and athletic guy who can play you some defense but has a horrid basketball IQ.

Picking walker, as some have already said, isn't so much because i think he'll be some sort fo superstar, It's just i know the other two players suck. Ergo,he has more potential heh.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 03:40:39 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Walker but it has to be on a team without Mikki Moore and Scala and a team that has serious depth issues and has a need for minutes from him even more than we needed it this year

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 04:21:49 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Seeing that we have seen practically nothing of Billy thus far, it is futile to say he has any more "basketball IQ" (which by the way is a terribly stupid term) than Tony, who has at least shown he understands the game, which is more than we can say for Billy, and it is obviously far, far, far more than we can say about Gerald.

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 04:59:20 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Seeing that we have seen practically nothing of Billy thus far, it is futile to say he has any more "basketball IQ" (which by the way is a terribly stupid term) than Tony, who has at least shown he understands the game, which is more than we can say for Billy, and it is obviously far, far, far more than we can say about Gerald.

understands how to dribble off his foot, drive towards the rim with no hope of finishing as he turns the ball over, and foul jump shooters taking three's for no reason?

He's shown me a whole bunch of that, not so much anything that proves he knows his backside from a basketball understanding wise.

If you don't like low basketball IQ pc way, i'll do the non-pc way

He's a stupid basketball player who is a 10th man at best. His potential is long gone.

and again, that's not an endorsement of bill walker, its a acknowledgment that TA and GG are pretty bad, and we don't know if this kid walker is good or bad yet. Ergo, he has more potential to turn into something useful.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 05:28:56 PM »

Offline chelsearules

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 12
definitely have to go with my man walker looks like he has potential and hasn't disappointed yet like ta and green

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 05:30:28 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228

understands how to dribble off his foot, drive towards the rim with no hope of finishing as he turns the ball over, and foul jump shooters taking three's for no reason?

He's shown me a whole bunch of that, not so much anything that proves he knows his backside from a basketball understanding wise.

If you don't like low basketball IQ pc way, i'll do the non-pc way

He's a stupid basketball player who is a 10th man at best. His potential is long gone.

and again, that's not an endorsement of bill walker, its a acknowledgment that TA and GG are pretty bad, and we don't know if this kid walker is good or bad yet. Ergo, he has more potential to turn into something useful.

Too much is made of Tony Allen dribbling the ball off his foot, off his head, off his own hand, etc. Does this kind of thing happen sometimes? Sure, but it's not the end of the world. I see Paul Pierce make many, many bad turnovers during the course of a game. He's not exactly Mister Protective when it comes to the ball, but no one seems to care because it's just not in style to critique Paul right now. Tony averaged 1.67 turnovers a game in 19.3 minutes, whereas Paul averaged 2.81 in 37.5 minutes; hardly any difference there, so what's your gripe about?

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 05:31:53 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Based on seeing all their play I'd say Walker...However 2 years ago I probably would have said Green...And three years ago I may have said Allen...Next year, who knows what it'll be. I feel like all three will have similar journeyman careers. But hey, I like what I've seen of Bill maybe he'll turn into something special.

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 05:51:03 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Tony averaged 1.67 turnovers a game in 19.3 minutes, whereas Paul averaged 2.81 in 37.5 minutes; hardly any difference there, so what's your gripe about?

Paul Pierce justifies his playing time with clutch shooting, consistent scoring, etc.  He also handles the ball a lot more than T.A. does in his minutes so the fact that their turnover rates are similar doesn't tell the whole story.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 06:21:21 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
Agree with Pos. Like he said, a player who handles the ball more will turn it over more. But TA isn't asked to handle it that much. Pierce had a turnover ratio of 11.7 last season. Allen's was 16.2. The year before, at 15.8, TA ranked 62nd out of 63 2-guards in TO ratio, so he's among the worst in the league at his position at turning the ball over/handling the ball. He sucks at it.

The only rotation players on the team with worse TO ratios are Perk at 20.2 - mostly because of his illegal screens and the fact that he's a center with not the softest hands - and Marbury, tied with TA at 16.2. To Marbury's credit, though, he had always been around 10 in the TO ratio department throughout his career. Allen, on the other hand, has been above 14 the past 4 seasons.

Interestingly, there was a non-rotation guy with a higher TO ratio than TA - Bill Walker, 18.2.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 06:45:24 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Interestingly, there was a non-rotation guy with a higher TO ratio than TA - Bill Walker, 18.2.

Walker was a rookie playing in short bursts of minutes, though, and it's common for rookies with high turnover ratios to lower their turnover ratio drastically as they gain more experience.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 06:51:40 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
I know, I just wanted to throw a bone to TA lovers. Hollinger I think actually says in his rankings (that's where I got these stats) that high - TO rookies tend to have better careers. Interesting.
Go Celtics.