Author Topic: so what if we overpay Rondo?  (Read 13373 times)

Re: so what if we overpay Rondo?
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2009, 11:00:03 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
His value is less than his stats would indicate because of opposing teams ability to leave him unguarded on the outside. Do you disagree with this statement?

I definitely disagree with this statement. I actually think his stats understate his value.
Depends on what metrics you use. Dave Berri's work has him being the most valuable Celtic.

His effect on our defense by most measures is enormous. He also has a very positive effect offensive as he overall is an efficient scorer. If you look at all of these you could easily conclude he was our second or even best player. But he's not.

In a 7 game series his one deficiency can absolutely stagnate the offense, especially if your opponent has big tall shot blockers. Unfortunately those are the sort of teams you face deep in the playoffs.

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2009, 11:01:38 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Wait a year and see how he does before we pay him. I believe he should have been an all-star last year and if he has a better year than last he'll be worth what we have to pay him. All-star point guys are hard to come by. Might be the most important player on the team.

Someone tell me the last all-star point guard the Celts had?

Danny Ainge? Do combo guards count? If not DJ (another combo guard). Before, maybe JoJo?

Yea my point exactly. It's been 23 year since we had a really good PG. We can't afford to lose Rondo.

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2009, 11:04:26 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Wait a year and see how he does before we pay him. I believe he should have been an all-star last year and if he has a better year than last he'll be worth what we have to pay him. All-star point guys are hard to come by. Might be the most important player on the team.

Someone tell me the last all-star point guard the Celts had?

Danny Ainge? Do combo guards count? If not DJ (another combo guard). Before, maybe JoJo?

Yea my point exactly. It's been 23 year since we had a really good PG. We can't afford to lose Rondo.
On this I agree. Rondo is our best young player by a mile. If we were to trade or not sign him to an extension I'd be upset. Short of getting a truly franchise player in some sort of ridiculous deal I don't see us getting equal value for Rondo

« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2009, 06:43:26 AM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
Devin Harris is underpaid when you compare him to other PG's and setting value to him is going to create disappointment.   Rondo is not Chris Paul or Deron Williams, but the kid is right there with the other top young PG's in the league.   His shooting is not a significant positive, but his TS% is reasonable for all the other aspects that he brings to the game.  The tempo and the defense are a major plus.

The biggest concern is will he "continue to improve" and how much of his success is a byproduct of the Big 3, but his development has been a very important component to our success.

As I look at the option of trading him for a pick in this draft, I get kind of disturbed ... because I believe this draft is poor once you get past Griffin.  There isn't a G in this draft with similar upside.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 06:56:57 AM by timepiece33 »

« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2009, 09:37:03 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Devin Harris is underpaid when you compare him to other PG's and setting value to him is going to create disappointment.   Rondo is not Chris Paul or Deron Williams, but the kid is right there with the other top young PG's in the league.   His shooting is not a significant positive, but his TS% is reasonable for all the other aspects that he brings to the game.  The tempo and the defense are a major plus.

The biggest concern is will he "continue to improve" and how much of his success is a byproduct of the Big 3, but his development has been a very important component to our success.

As I look at the option of trading him for a pick in this draft, I get kind of disturbed ... because I believe this draft is poor once you get past Griffin.  There isn't a G in this draft with similar upside.

On top of that, as a PG, his ability to be an all-star will always be connected to the players he is passing to. 

If the Celtics overpay him, then he is going to be surrounded by lesser players, he isn't going to be worth as much.  (this effects most pass first PGs)