Author Topic: Doc Says Marbury Absolutely Being Considered  (Read 12003 times)

Re: Doc Says Marbury Absolutely Being Considered
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2009, 02:21:16 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He needs to go.

The Celtics got lucky that he didn't implode like he has in the past. 

But, he gave the Celtics nothing on the court.

Nothing on the court, history of imploding...

What am I missing?
So you really think we still would have won Game 5 WITHOUT Marbury? If you think so, you're sadly mistaken. He gave us the big push when we needed it the most in the 4th qtr.

And about Marbs returning next year; I feel that he'll be waaay better this upcoming season with a full training camp with us, especially with the way he played towards the end of the Playoffs.

1 game. 

And the Celtics lost the series.

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2009, 02:33:34 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
What Doc really meant is Marbury Absolutely Being Considered for the minimum and if we have an open spot.

I'm with most people when I say I was all for Marbury to do well when we aquired him. He came in with the right additute but gave us next to nothing. He's washed up.

Find me one player who was off for a year after being benched and coming off an injury that required surgery, joined a team with 20 games left, and made a big impact off the bench.

Please. I am BEGGING YOU WITH ALL OF MY HEART!

but thats not an argument for bringing steph back, thats an excuse for him not preforming.

Why take that risk again?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2009, 02:34:35 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
What Doc really meant is Marbury Absolutely Being Considered for the minimum and if we have an open spot.

I'm with most people when I say I was all for Marbury to do well when we aquired him. He came in with the right additute but gave us next to nothing. He's washed up.

Find me one player who was off for a year after being benched and coming off an injury that required surgery, joined a team with 20 games left, and made a big impact off the bench.

but thats not an argument for bringing steph back, thats an excuse for him not preforming.

If he takes the Sam Cassell spot of not really playing and being our 13+ man for most of the season I'd be fine with that. He's okay as a backup to Rondo/House.

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2009, 02:35:52 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

If he takes the Sam Cassell spot of not really playing and being our 13+ man for most of the season I'd be fine with that. He's okay as a backup to Rondo/House.

Celtics don't need another PG that doesn't play.  What's the point? 

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2009, 02:37:10 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

oh, im very ok with bringing him back for the minimum and letting him play backup PG, i think he's the best aviable.

What im not ok with is promising him more minutes as his comments thus far indicate he wants.

and let me be clear, there's nothing wrong with him wanting more time and touches, i just don't think that fits in with our team makeup.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2009, 02:51:11 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
If House opts out, Marbury is probably your best option at backup PG. IF House stays, you are better off looking for a guy that has a bit more size and D, so you can play him with House without being super duper undersized.

You can get away with a backcourt of Steph and Rondo or Eddie and Rondo. I'm not sold that Rondo and House can work except for occasionally against teams with two small guards in their rotation.

If Grant Hill (who I consider the best option) is brought in as the backup wind, Starbury is probably a bit worse of a fit (because he's not a true 3pt threat to compliment Hill and also creates much value off the dribble) than House. But Hill's shorter jumper is fine, and Marbury had started to knock down threes pretty well before he was banned in NYC, so its possible it could work out. Posey's play in 08 is probably the perfect wing compliment to Marbury off the bench.

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2009, 03:07:25 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
He is BY FAR the most talented backup PG we could put out there within reason. He will work hard on regaining his shot in the offseason, know the rotations better, and IMO be a very valuable backup to Rondo assuming the price is right. If someone gets crazy with an offer then he should take it.

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2009, 03:12:30 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
He is BY FAR the most talented backup PG we could put out there within reason. He will work hard on regaining his shot in the offseason, know the rotations better, and IMO be a very valuable backup to Rondo assuming the price is right. If someone gets crazy with an offer then he should take it.

exactly, it really depends on steph and what he want's out of basketball going forward.

If he doesn't mind being a backup, for backup money, great.

If he want's to try to play a more prominent role on a team, also good, i wish him well with whatever team he ends up with.

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2009, 03:13:36 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Can someone tell me the last time Marbury was productive?  2 seasons ago?

Wasn't he on a downward trend the season before?

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2009, 03:21:05 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Right, which is why we are of one mind on paying him more money/ promising him minutes, but i have no problem with a vet minimum contract or close too it.

If he wants more than that, then i wish him well on whatever team gives it to him. I just hope it isn't us.

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2009, 03:24:55 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Right, which is why we are of one mind on paying him more money/ promising him minutes, but i have no problem with a vet minimum contract or close too it.

If he wants more than that, then i wish him well on whatever team gives it to him. I just hope it isn't us.

We really want the Celtics to give Marbury a spot on the bench and in the lockerroom as a towel waiver? 

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2009, 03:29:59 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

We really want the Celtics to give Marbury a spot on the bench and in the lockerroom as a towel waiver? 

I really don't think 8-10 minutes a night at back up point guard is towel waving, and if he turns out to be able to shake the rust, we have a great asset we paid almost nothing for.

He was nothing but a good solider here, and with a minimum deal he has no spot in a power struggle with the front office, I'd be fine with it.

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2009, 04:09:45 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

He was productive last year unless the only thing you are counting is whether his outside shot dropped. He played very solid pesky defense. He worked hard to find the open man. For a guy who was supposed to be the epitome of selfishness he was selfless to the extreme. If anything he needed to shoot or drive more. If you look at the all around situation he was solid. If you were wanting the all-star to show up then of course you are dissapointed. 

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2009, 04:10:48 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
He needs to go.

The Celtics got lucky that he didn't implode like he has in the past. 

But, he gave the Celtics nothing on the court.

Nothing on the court, history of imploding...

What am I missing?

Apparently you missed the following:

-gradual improvement in the limited minutes he was given
-his excellent behavior
-his commitment to defense/buying into the system
-his transition into a pass-first PG (to the point where he was scared to shoot)

"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2009, 04:22:51 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

He was productive last year unless the only thing you are counting is whether his outside shot dropped. He played very solid pesky defense. He worked hard to find the open man. For a guy who was supposed to be the epitome of selfishness he was selfless to the extreme. If anything he needed to shoot or drive more. If you look at the all around situation he was solid. If you were wanting the all-star to show up then of course you are dissapointed. 

How so?  I completely missed it.