Author Topic: Interesting article on Kevin Love  (Read 2596 times)

Interesting article on Kevin Love
« on: November 14, 2017, 05:59:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Reading this (which has some good stats to support the statements) really made me wonder if Love will get swapped out for someone this year... that could potentially make the Cavs a lot scarier team. Question is, does anyone want him?

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/11/14/16646442/kevin-love-cavaliers-lebron-james

Re: Interesting article on Kevin Love
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 06:20:32 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
The only guy I could imagine they can get by swapping Love + BKN Pick is Cousins, but Pelicans are doing well enough where I think they keep Cousins, and after Cousins, idk who else is available that could even thread the needle for CLE (highly doubt any bought out player would).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 06:40:20 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Seems like it makes sense for CLE to wait until IT returns. Let IT/Lebron/Love play together for a while and then decide at the deadline.

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 06:43:48 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Seems like it makes sense for CLE to wait until IT returns. Let IT/Lebron/Love play together for a while and then decide at the deadline.
kevin Love is playing historically bad defense, and We all know how ITs defense is. What will playing them together reveal exactly?

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 06:54:55 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
That's a strange article.  I'm not sure what it is grounded in.

Love's USG is indeed 'down' from last year, but (per basketball-reference.com) it's only slightly so, from 26.4% to 25.2%.  And that's still a LOT higher than his first two years in CLE and, overall, pretty high usage, typical of a #2 option.   And not a ton less than his typical ~28.x% USG he posted his last three years in MIN.

His scoring efficiency is top-notch so far, at .594 TS%, which would be a career high if it holds, and his defensive rebounding rate is still elite at 28.5%.   He's averaging 21.6 points, 2.4 assists and 12.8 rebounds per 36.   Those are almost identical to his MIN numbers (21.1, 2.7, 13.4).

That team has problems, but I'm not sure I agree that Kevin Love is the problem.

I also disagree with the notion the article pushes that he might not mesh with Thomas.  He and Thomas have history going back to when they were kids and their games are likely to be far more compatible than the Kyrie+Love pairing ever was because Kyrie didn't play near the amount of pick & roll/pop that Thomas likely will with Love.   Basically, whenever Lebron sits, you should expect the Cavs offense to become IT & Love doing a two-man game similar to the way IT & Horford played.

Defensively ... yes there are definitely issues there. 
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 06:55:20 PM »

Offline mspring

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
I get why Cleveland might be interested in this trade, but why would Phoenix do this deal?  They end up stuck with Thompson with 2 more years after this year at over 16 million/year.  Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why Phoenix would do this deal.

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 08:33:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I get why Cleveland might be interested in this trade, but why would Phoenix do this deal?  They end up stuck with Thompson with 2 more years after this year at over 16 million/year.  Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why Phoenix would do this deal.
Depends what they think of Thompson and what they think of a trio of Thompson, Chriss, and Bender moving forward.  If they think Thompson is better than Len long term, then acquiring Thompson makes a great deal of sense for the Suns.  He is still pretty young and 16 million is a lot, but it is well below max (not saying Thompson deserves a max, but it isn't a crippling contract either).  That said, I think there are any number of trades between those teams that could work (like adding Chandler and Shumpert to the trade). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 08:37:18 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Cousins - Love is so logical.

Cleveland gets higher ceiling for this year and cleans the books for the rebuild if all goes bad.
NOLA gets to live in a Delusionland for a year longer.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 08:44:29 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Cleveland gets higher ceiling for this year and cleans the books for the rebuild if all goes bad.
Why would New Orleans give up on the twin towers? Especially now that they're winning and Cousins is playing like an MVP
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 09:13:54 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Why would New Orleans give up on the twin towers? Especially now that they're winning and Cousins is playing like an MVP
DMC expires, and they might be 22-26 by the time they need to make a decision.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 09:45:14 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

If they think Cousins leaves, then they should trade and get something for him. Love and the Brooklyn pick isn't bad. Love would probably be better for New Orleans than he is for Cleveland.

Not sure what Cousins is thinking though. I've only heard people speculate that he leaves.

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 12:57:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

If they think Cousins leaves, then they should trade and get something for him. Love and the Brooklyn pick isn't bad. Love would probably be better for New Orleans than he is for Cleveland.

Not sure what Cousins is thinking though. I've only heard people speculate that he leaves.
why would Cleveland give up Love and the BKN for the expiring contract that is Cousins?  I mean imagine the Cavs next year if Cousins, James, and Thomas all leave, they don't even have the BKN pick, and they still have all those big contracts (like Thompson, Smith, Shumpert, Korver, Crowder - which are fine if they are role players, not so fine if they are your team).  It would be an absolute disaster for that franchise.  I just don't see Cleveland including the BKN with Love for Cousins.  I could see them doing for Love for Cousins, maybe even throwing in Osman, Zizic, etc. or taking on some crappy salaries (like including Thompson, Shumpert, Frye, etc. and taking back Asik, or Moore, or Hill, etc.), but I just don't see Cleveland doing the trade with the BKN pick included.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 01:23:07 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

why would anyone trade all that for cousins? Even if he wasn’t expiring, that’s an overpay. Remember when he was traded for peanuts? Why would his value suddenly be higher now? Nothing’s changed. He’s still a hothead

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 01:42:42 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

why would Cleveland give up Love and the BKN for the expiring contract that is Cousins?  I mean imagine the Cavs next year if Cousins, James, and Thomas all leave, they don't even have the BKN pick, and they still have all those big contracts (like Thompson, Smith, Shumpert, Korver, Crowder - which are fine if they are role players, not so fine if they are your team).  It would be an absolute disaster for that franchise.  I just don't see Cleveland including the BKN with Love for Cousins.  I could see them doing for Love for Cousins, maybe even throwing in Osman, Zizic, etc. or taking on some crappy salaries (like including Thompson, Shumpert, Frye, etc. and taking back Asik, or Moore, or Hill, etc.), but I just don't see Cleveland doing the trade with the BKN pick included.

I don't know that they would. But they could do worse. I was mostly responding to the 'why would New Orleans trade Cousins' and pointed out the reasoning. Love and the Brooklyn pick would be good value for New Orleans. That is, there is potentially good value out there for Cousins along the lines of a Kevin Love veteran or a potentially decent draft pick. Those types of things could appeal to New Orleans if they think they are losing Cousins.

If they don't think they are losing Cousins, then I don't think they trade him for anything this season.