Author Topic: The "Fire Chiarelli" thread  (Read 14002 times)

Re: The "Fire Chiarelli" thread
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 07:22:48 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
i would like to see chiarelli and claude be let go in the offseason.  i would like to see more "old school" type guys like cam in those positions.  i think cam and cluade/chiarelli have two different philosophies and styles that contradict each other. 

we need more "players" on the roster, rather than "locker room guys".

It's funny, after the ball's didn't drop our way on the Durant/Oden lottery I felt the exact same way about Ainge and Doc. I felt crushed, like a relative had died that night.

No offense, but if the celtics, bruins, Basketball, hockey, or sports in general mean that much to you, I realby would advise taking a step back from them and putting  your priorities in check...

I'm not meaning to attack, but meaning to give advice.

When the Lottery balls didn't fall our way I was absolutely devastated. I think many here were...
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 07:27:39 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
i would like to see chiarelli and claude be let go in the offseason.  i would like to see more "old school" type guys like cam in those positions.  i think cam and cluade/chiarelli have two different philosophies and styles that contradict each other. 

It's funny, after the ball's didn't drop our way on the Durant/Oden lottery I felt the exact same way about Ainge and Doc. I felt crushed, like a relative had died that night.

No offense, but if the celtics, bruins, Basketball, hockey, or sports in general mean that much to you, I realby would advise taking a step back from them and putting  your priorities in check...

When the Lottery balls didn't fall our way I was absolutely devastated. I think many here were...

I was pretty bummed as well, (though not to the extent of losing a loved one ... I think that was just hyperbole anyway, and not meant literally) ... yes, sports teams are just about "games", after all, but I see nothing bad in being passionate about them ... there are many other worse things to put one's heart into. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 07:31:51 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Well, it had some logic.  Thomas was in the middle of a Vezina trophy winning season.  It just didn't make a lot of sense for the future of the franchise.  But not letting the vezina winner go to free agency certainly was the safe thing to do.

Chris,

Tim Thomas was extended not resigned. He wouldn't have hit free agency last off-season:
Goaltender Tim Thomas has finally struck it rich with the Boston Bruins.

He has signed a US$20-million, four-year contract extension with the NHL club. The 34-year-old Thomas is scheduled to attend a news conference Saturday morning at TD Banknorth Garden, the Bruins said Friday.

Thomas, who will earn $1.1 million this season (2010), will earn $6 million in each of the first two years of the extension, $5 million in 2011-12 and $3 million in 2012-13.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/25009-Goaltender-Tim-Thomas-signs-contract-extension-with-Boston-Bruins.html

« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 08:29:06 AM by Jsaad »

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 10:05:04 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

I was pretty bummed as well, (though not to the extent of losing a loved one ... I think that was just hyperbole anyway, and not meant literally) ... yes, sports teams are just about "games", after all, but I see nothing bad in being passionate about them ... there are many other worse things to put one's heart into. ;)

Yes, hyperbole  ;) thanks.

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 10:08:34 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Well, it had some logic.  Thomas was in the middle of a Vezina trophy winning season.  It just didn't make a lot of sense for the future of the franchise.  But not letting the vezina winner go to free agency certainly was the safe thing to do.

Chris,

Tim Thomas was extended not resigned. He wouldn't have hit free agency last off-season:

He has signed a US$20-million, four-year contract extension with the NHL club. The 34-year-old Thomas is scheduled to attend a news conference Saturday morning at TD Banknorth Garden, the Bruins said Friday.

Thomas, who will earn $1.1 million this season (2010), will earn $6 million in each of the first two years of the extension, $5 million in 2011-12 and $3 million in 2012-13.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/25009-Goaltender-Tim-Thomas-signs-contract-extension-with-Boston-Bruins.html

He was extended in the middle of the last season of his contract.  If they did not extend him during the season, he would have been a free agent last summer.  Maybe I used the wrong words, but that is what I meant. 

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 10:16:36 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Chris,

He was extended in the middle of the last season of his contract.  If they did not extend him during the season, he would have been a free agent last summer.  Maybe I used the wrong words, but that is what I meant. 

From what I understand he had a year remaining (this current season) before his contract was up.

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 11:25:38 AM »

Offline budMovin

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Chiarelli must think he is the GM of the salary capless Red Sox. He loves giving out Scalabrine-esque contracts (way overpay for mediocre players) that destroy our chances of landing a marque player. Ryder, Kobesew, Morris, Ference, ect. Thomas was way overpayed considering Rask was almost a sure fire "the next best thing", although he was coming off of a Vezina trophy season...We have the worst offense in the league, so what does he do at the deadline? He gets us another defensemen. Fantastic! He totally reminds me of Rick Pitino's tenure at GM when he was given every chance to build a great team around Walker and Pierce, yet he overpayed for crap players like Travis Knight and traded Joe Johnson for 2 cents to the dollar... To be compared to Rick Pitino, we all know that means he must go.

The amusement I get by making fun of his awful decisions outweighs my frustration; however, that could all change if we get shafted in the draft.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
                 -Gladiator

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 11:45:21 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

LOL.

The balls didn't drop.  They were placed.  The teams who shamelessly tanked, held out healthy players, and continuously came up with brain-dead rotations and strategies to lose games strangely ended up in the worst possible draft position...Very predictable based on the overt shamelessness of the way we tanked.

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2010, 03:50:37 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
So, does anybody want to amend their responses?

The Bs are playing great hockey, the Garden is rocking, Rask is a star, and we have the #2 pick in this year's draft.  Plus, we have Thomas to either keep or trade.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2010, 04:14:23 PM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
These playoffs shows value of a great goaltender. If we can trade Tim Thomas for some offensive help, with healthy Savard and a Tyler Seguin or Taylor Hall we will be among elite teams in 2010/11...
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 09:58:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's funny to go back a year and read through threads like this.  This isn't to call anybody out; I think a lot of folks felt a lot the same way.  Heck, even the people defending Chiarelli were talking about trading Thomas. 

It just shows that a lot of us wouldn't make great armchair GMs.  Chiarelli made almost all the right moves this year.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes