Author Topic: Kanter's Role on the Celtics  (Read 5288 times)

Re: Kanter's Role on the Celtics
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2019, 10:08:40 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
One thing that's clear from his super small sample size, is that he is definitely taking the right shots right now, as the team is playing well. His FG% is great (15/23). His rebounding numbers per 36 are about average.

No need to investigate how to use him more on the offensive end until the wheels start falling off our team offense. His defense has been serviceable.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2019, 10:34:16 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I think Kanter's role is reliant on Theis and Grant and, for other reasons Robert.

Theis gets 22.2 mpg
Robert gets 14.5 mpg
Grant gets 15.3 mpg

Theis is a really good cog in the starter machine. He makes sure the three or four star players on the court with him most of the time can be stars. The Celtics don't need Theis to be anything more than what he is. He is 6'8" and 240 and can be pushed around by big centers, but, he is an experienced veteran who can survive. He keeps his minutes.

Robert is a first rounder and management has determined he needs minutes to further develop. Stevens is giving him 14.5 mpg vs last year at 8.5 mpg. Bob looks better and his fouling has gone down. He is not an offensive force, but, passes well, gets back on defense and is a bit better at his reactions and positioning. I don't see him losing many minutes to anyone. Be advised though? He isn't on the court at "important times"...ever.

Robert's little brother Grant also, needs minutes to become useful. On the Boston Celtics any player over 6'3" tall can be asked to play center at any time. It goes with wearing green, but Grant has been getting a minute or two at power forward or whatever you might call it. Unlike Robert, Grant has been on the court at crunch time and is a solid free throw shooter. He needs minutes and I don't see him losing any he's already got.

Kanter does have offensive chops, but, the Boston Celtic's starters have have some of the best offensive players in the NBA with the stats to prove it and if there are five guys who can play better D in close than Kanter?

Thus, your question about Kanter is answered by the three bigs in front of him, the four headed scoring machine that starts games and Steven's need for the young guys to play and improve....if for nothing else than to get traded by Mr. Danny.

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2019, 02:33:39 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It's situational, folks, there are games we are going to need Kanter.

Still, I don't get the irrational exuberance for  Grant Williams, Kanter is better in every way save defense and passing.  Kanter is a better shooter and rebounder by  a large margin.   I know Grant makes some winning plays here and there but is not even remotely in the same class as Smart in that regard.

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2019, 09:33:32 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I really don't see any issue here.

Kanter is averaging just under 16 minutes.  That will likely crawl upward as he's further removed from his injury.  But that will probably top out at no more than very low 20s and ~20 minutes seems likely.   And I think Brad will continue his pattern of not playing every big man in every game -- this will keep guys rested.

During his 16 minutes, the team has been posting a Net Rating of +8.9 points per 100 possessions.  That's the best number for any non-starter Celtic other than Poirier, who simply has too tiny of a sample.   Another way of saying that is that our best bench rotations have had Kanter in them.  So how Brad is using Kanter is working for the team.

And individually, Kanter is producing, with per-36 rates of 16.3 points, 12.9 rebounds, 1.9 assists and 1.1 blocks.

Again, I really don't see what the issue is.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2019, 09:46:26 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
His best role would be to be a part of the trade in February 2020.

Bingo.

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2019, 11:16:23 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
His best role would be to be a part of the trade in February 2020.

Bingo.

For what?

What realistic trade is going to "move the needle" here?
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2019, 11:21:17 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Still, I don't get the irrational exuberance for  Grant Williams, Kanter is better in every way save defense and passing.  Kanter is a better shooter and rebounder by  a large margin.   I know Grant makes some winning plays here and there but is not even remotely in the same class as Smart in that regard.

I'd like to point out that Kanter and Grant actually seem to play very well together.  They first showed this in one of the pre-season games where they came in together and totally turned what was a slightly losing effort into a going-away win.

In the regular season, the two have played only 12 minutes together, but the team has a very nice +19.4 Net Rating in those 12 minutes.

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2019, 11:44:54 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Too bad for Kanter that defense and passing are probably what we need the most from our big man. Kanter shouldn't be starting for us.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2019, 12:03:20 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I agree it's situational.

Still, what's not to like about Williams? He's better at half the game (defense) than Kanter and he can pass. On top of that, he has potential to be a much better shooter--he really isn't that far from being a better shooter already.

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2019, 04:38:00 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
Does Kanter want more minutes than he will get, and in frustration opt out next summer?

And if the C's sense his frustration before the trade deadline do they make a very small trade before he walks?

I know he is a great ambassador and has said all the right stuff so far, but I think he has had some discontent on other teams he has been on.

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2019, 05:09:39 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Does Kanter want more minutes than he will get, and in frustration opt out next summer?

And if the C's sense his frustration before the trade deadline do they make a very small trade before he walks?

I know he is a great ambassador and has said all the right stuff so far, but I think he has had some discontent on other teams he has been on.

The only situation I am aware of where Kanter was 'discontented' was when he was with the Knicks, who benched him in order to tank last season.    It's really hard to not understand why that might not have sat well with him.

He ended up traded to Portland and seemed perfectly happy coming off the bench there, for a winning team (although he later did move back to start after Nurkic got injured).