Author Topic: Kanter's Role on the Celtics  (Read 5406 times)

Kanter's Role on the Celtics
« on: November 19, 2019, 09:16:34 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Good Morning Guys,

I wanted to hear your thoughts about Kanter's role on the team moving forward. I have a few thoughts:

1) Theis has pretty clearly proven his worth as a starter and general facilitator on offense. Theis's defense is adequate, and his shot blocking has improved since he got to the Celtics.

2) Both Robert and Grant Williams have promise--Robert because of his athleticism and shot-blocking instincts, and Grant because of his knack to make timely plays that simply "help the team win."

3) So where do Kanter's minutes emerge? I see Kanter's value as a guy who can bang bodies with Embiid when we play Philadelphia, and to a lesser extent can play one of Milwaukee's bigs.

Is Kanter as a supposed "Embiid stopper" enough to keep him on the roster when the trade deadline emerges, and we're looking for some bench scoring or a more legitimate defensive center? There's also the high likelihood that one of the three aforementioned bigs (Theis, Williams, and Williams) gets hurt at some time, in which case Kanter would be an extremely valuable fill-in.

I'd be interested to hear what you all think about this.

Re: Kanter's Role on the Celtics
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 09:27:12 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
John Karalis on his podcast this morning speculating this very question, TP.

He made the point, and I agree, that as the Celtics work on cementing their defensive identity, Kanter's minutes will be more focused on situational matchups, particularly against the more physical centers like Embiid. He said Brad was pretty upset with Kanter's defense last night, particularly on a play when he didn't cover Baynes on the 3 point line.

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 09:30:51 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think he will be part of the offense off the bench when the Celtics need a boost against certain teams.   Teams who have benches that can not fully take advantage of his defensive shortcomings.   

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 09:33:03 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

He made the point, and I agree, that as the Celtics work on cementing their defensive identity, Kanter's minutes will be more focused on situational matchups, particularly against the more physical centers like Embiid. He said Brad was pretty upset with Kanter's defense last night, particularly on a play when he didn't cover Baynes on the 3 point line.

The message Kanter needs to hear is simply: You aren't that valuable to the team when you refuse to slide your feet, or cover your men farther than the restricted area with any legitimate effort.

I'm glad Brad pulled him for Grant Williams in the 2nd half.

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 09:40:13 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Stevens has turned what some might think weren't good big defenders into important parts of top notch defenses. I think he can do the same with Kanter. I could see during most nights a center rotation of

24-28 MPG for Theis
10-14 MPG for Timelord
10-14 MPG for Kanter

would work. Everyone's times could vary depending on foul status, injury status, game plan, matchups, situational ball, but I think that turns out to be the rotation.

And that rotation is pretty good for a team so strong elsewhere. It gives Stevens lots of tools to select from out of his bigs. Sure, you would like all those tools in one star but having them in 3 guys still gives Stevens all those tools to mix and match in.

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 09:41:05 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He'll be the offensive backup center when the C's play against teams who are playing a bit bigger.

I also think he needs to adjust to no longer being an always drop coverage C when playing the C's defense. Not sure how well he can adjust but he can be better even by his low standards.

The Suns aren't a match up I expected him to do well in given they play stretch Cs for the whole game with Ayton out.

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 09:41:56 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

The message Kanter needs to hear is simply: You aren't that valuable to the team when you refuse to slide your feet, or cover your men farther than the restricted area with any legitimate effort.

I've been saying this for weeks now, Kanter is terrible on defense. The C's are like 5th in defensive rating in part because he's been out. His value is low post offense and rebounding but the C's haven't been a disaster rebounding and they have enough offensive options even with Hayward out that Kanters strengths really don't add as much as his weakness take away. He'll still get minutes in the right matchups but Theis, RWIII and Grant all are better defensive options.

He's a good player, on the right team maybe even a starter, not sure its for this team unless circumstances change.

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 09:54:42 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
We gotta need Enes later in season just wait and see
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 10:33:02 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I've been saying this for weeks now, Kanter is terrible on defense. The C's are like 5th in defensive rating in part because he's been out. His value is low post offense and rebounding but the C's haven't been a disaster rebounding and they have enough offensive options even with Hayward out that Kanters strengths really don't add as much as his weakness take away. He'll still get minutes in the right matchups but Theis, RWIII and Grant all are better defensive options.

He's a good player, on the right team maybe even a starter, not sure its for this team unless circumstances change.
This.  We've known about Kanter's defensive liabilities since prior to the season.  The notion that he could be a "Embiid stopper" is simply uninformed.

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 10:39:43 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Probably as the 3rd option if Williams continues to get better against most teams.  Kanter will come in handy against the bigger centers like Embiid.

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 10:42:41 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
This.  We've known about Kanter's defensive liabilities since prior to the season.  The notion that he could be a "Embiid stopper" is simply uninformed.

I don't think anyone is saying he is an Embiid stopper. His low post defense against physical bigs is above average. Its his perimeter defense and pick-and-roll defense that is probably the worst in the league.

He can definitely help against Embiid and the very few other low post bruisers in the NBA.

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 10:59:30 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
His best role would be to be a part of the trade in February 2020.

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 11:14:42 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Good Morning Guys,

I wanted to hear your thoughts about Kanter's role on the team moving forward. I have a few thoughts:

1) Theis has pretty clearly proven his worth as a starter and general facilitator on offense. Theis's defense is adequate, and his shot blocking has improved since he got to the Celtics.

2) Both Robert and Grant Williams have promise--Robert because of his athleticism and shot-blocking instincts, and Grant because of his knack to make timely plays that simply "help the team win."

3) So where do Kanter's minutes emerge? I see Kanter's value as a guy who can bang bodies with Embiid when we play Philadelphia, and to a lesser extent can play one of Milwaukee's bigs.

Is Kanter as a supposed "Embiid stopper" enough to keep him on the roster when the trade deadline emerges, and we're looking for some bench scoring or a more legitimate defensive center? There's also the high likelihood that one of the three aforementioned bigs (Theis, Williams, and Williams) gets hurt at some time, in which case Kanter would be an extremely valuable fill-in.

I'd be interested to hear what you all think about this.
Kanter provides the combined height and beef that the other players don't have.  This comes in handy if the opposing team has a big, beefy center.  (mmm, sounds like a tasty snack more than a player  :)  )

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 11:16:24 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I don't think anyone is saying he is an Embiid stopper. His low post defense against physical bigs is above average. Its his perimeter defense and pick-and-roll defense that is probably the worst in the league.

He can definitely help against Embiid and the very few other low post bruisers in the NBA.
The OP used that term.

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 11:30:05 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Spot matchups, offensive wrinkle, size - he has value but not in every game. Tatum and Brown have been rebounding the ball well, which renders his best skill somewhat less valuable. Still a great weapon to have if he’s not your best big, which, I guess the jury is out?
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens