Author Topic: KG may not start All-Star game  (Read 10020 times)

Re: KG may not start All-Star game
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 04:46:42 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I don't really understand all the fuss being made over this recently.  The latest returns are as of 1/8/09... 11 days ago.  Anything could happen with the voting in that time frame.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 04:51:52 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
The question, I guess, is does the NBA want to appeal to Chinese fans at the expense of American ones?  And does allowing a player to start for no other reason than race / nationality send the right message?

I know the NBA wants to market globally, but I wonder if they want Yi making a mockery of the game.  If all-star votes were restricted to North America only, or if overseas votes were weighted to count less, would that offend anybody so much?

When Kobe was voted for the 1st time, was he a better player than Yi is now? A better prospect, surely; but a better player, was he?

According to your reasoning, if Yi was American, what would be the problem?

if yi was american he wouldn't be going, period.

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 04:52:39 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The question, I guess, is does the NBA want to appeal to Chinese fans at the expense of American ones?  And does allowing a player to start for no other reason than race / nationality send the right message?

I know the NBA wants to market globally, but I wonder if they want Yi making a mockery of the game.  If all-star votes were restricted to North America only, or if overseas votes were weighted to count less, would that offend anybody so much?

When Kobe was voted for the 1st time, was he a better player than Yi is now? A better prospect, surely; but a better player, was he?

According to your reasoning, if Yi was American, what would be the problem?

Kobe was voted in for reasons other than his nationality, which is the distinction.

Also, yes, Kobe was a substantially better player as a sophomore than Yi is now.  Link.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 05:25:25 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
If AC Green over Karl Malone didn't kill fan voting, nothing will.  And isn't Yi hurt and therefore wouldn't start anyway (meaning KG would almost certainly be given his spot)?  Anyway, I doubt KG puts too much stock in his place in the All-Star pecking order these days, and I don't either. 

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 05:41:18 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i prefer that all the celtics don't attend the all star break...

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 05:52:29 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
its hard to compete against a nation that comprises a large part of the population.. with that said no i dont think yi deserves to start.. much less play in the ASG. he's my fellow asian but if i could play 2 yao's instead of starting yi, i would very much agree with the tradeoff

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 06:01:07 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I'd rather see KG get the rest myself. Besides I want to see the media furor if it happens. Plus next year, we can start a campaign to get a player in. Tony Allen anyone?

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 06:03:22 PM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21
the problem i have here is not KG starting or not.

its Yi being an all star, period.
he can barely be a starter on his own team. VC and Harris deserve to be there over Yi. as well as another player worthy of playoff selection on any eastern conference team that will be screwed cuz of yi

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009, 06:39:12 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
KG will start. I doubt the nba will let Yi overtake KG on the all-star voting. With china voting, Yi is probably already ahead of KG, but the NBA won't let it happen. I'm pretty sure the early returns are already skewed.

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 06:50:14 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
KG will start. I doubt the nba will let Yi overtake KG on the all-star voting. With china voting, Yi is probably already ahead of KG, but the NBA won't let it happen. I'm pretty sure the early returns are already skewed.

but keeping it close for statistical and to create interest...i agree with u
ohh dear politics...
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2009, 06:53:24 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
How will they not let it happen? That's not how it works. People need to vote for KG if they want him to start.

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2009, 06:56:38 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
How will they not let it happen? That's not how it works. People need to vote for KG if they want him to start.

electoral fraud  ;D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2009, 07:15:11 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If BJ Armstrong being the starting PG for the East is not going to change the voting, then nothing will.

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2009, 07:26:49 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Kobe was voted in for reasons other than his nationality, that's the distinction

And why is that distinction important, to begin with? Do you know why Kobe was voted in? Because he was being anointed and promoted, by the league and by commercial companies, as Jordan's successor - therefore, he was hugely popular. And do you think he'd have such a strong PR campaign - and therefore the ASG votes - if he wasn't an American kid with a game so similar to Jordan's? No way. Kobe being an American - and easy to sell to Americans - was a big reason why he was voted into the ASG in his 2nd season.

Also, yes, Kobe was a substantially better player as a sophomore than Yi is now.

Substantially? I don't even think he was better, but anyway, that's beyond the point, as long as you agree Kobe was very far from being All-Star material, from that meritocratic perspective.

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2009, 07:36:25 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
part of me wants yi to be voted in.  it will show what a farce the voting is.  if they want to have a "popularity game", then keep it the way it is.  if they want to call it the all star game, then the nba can change its selection process.