Author Topic: State of the Raptors  (Read 8316 times)

State of the Raptors
« on: December 18, 2008, 06:42:20 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Looks like they got booed off their home court last night.  This team looks to be headed straight to the lottery. 

http://www.thestar.com/article/555726

And to think, I got flamed a couple of weeks ago for calling out Bosh and Calderon for their horrible team play despite their putting up solid numbers.  My opinion was that these 2 will never be able to lead a team out of the first round.  Toronto has perpetually underacheived during the Bosh era and they would be doing themselves a favor by getting what they can for him prior to him bolting town in 2010.  A franchise player he is not, just another flash in the pan a la Vince Carter or TMac.

Re: State of the Raptors
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 07:10:54 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
About the only good news to come from toronto this season is that Nathan Jawai has finally been cleared to play after his heart scare.

It wont have any impact on the raptors in the Win/Loss column, but it's always good to hear a player wont be forced to retire early due to heart complications.

Jawai could be a solid player, 6'10" 270lbs with a 7'5" wingspan. Definently has the body to be a force down-low.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 10:49:53 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Bosh will look very nice in a Cavs uniform this year

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 11:02:49 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

What kind of package could the Cavs possibly offer for Bosh?  The Cavs may have the pieces to get a player a team is actually looking to dump the contract of, or get a little value for before they leave next year (like Marion), but Bosh is in a different category.  The ONLY motivation the Raptors would have to trade Bosh right now would be if they could get a deal they simply couldn't turn down.  A deal based around guys like Delonte West, Hickson, and some late first round picks in the distant future wouldn't even get a call back about Bosh. 

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 11:22:15 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Colangelo is starting to look eerily similar to Rick Pitino as a GM.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 11:37:59 AM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
I don't think the Jermaine O'Neal trade was a good one. Jose Calderon performed better when he was competing for PT with TJ Ford. That's often what happens to players. When they have nothing to "compete" for anymore - or nobody to compete with (and in Jose's case, I believe he was in a contract year), they don't play as well after the fact.

Trading for O'Neal wasn't a huge risk, but it didn't make them a better team. I think Bosh is going to leave Toronto in '10 and team up with LeBron. It's an inevitable chain of events in my opinion.

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 11:40:35 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.

Why would the Raptors trade Bosh this year - Especially for Wally, Snow, and Varejao?
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 11:49:32 AM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
In 2010, when Bosh becomes a FA. LOL no way Toronto does any trade with Cleveland. Obviously they'd try their best to keep Bosh

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 12:34:41 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129

I figured that sentence would stir up some folks.  I said it very tongue in cheek.  Bosh isn't going anywhere. 

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 12:35:06 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Extinct?

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 12:53:31 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The management have not put players around Bosh. 

When was the last time that a high draft pick or trade really worked well for them? 

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 01:48:21 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
The problem with the Raptors is that they suck and people are stupid to have ever put them anywhere near the 4th seed. They can't stop the point of attack because Caldron's a boob, that's problem number one. They lost Delfino, Ford and Rasho and picked up JO and Ukic (I think that's right). They need a penetrator, a backup pg, a coach and a GM. Bosh is no Amare, Calderon's no Nash and after that there's nothing left but shooters and a garbage system. A GM using Phoenix as a blueprint a very smart GM. I say it's fire sale time if they're smart. Baby for Anthony Parker, do it up.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 01:54:37 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
About the only good news to come from toronto this season is that Nathan Jawai has finally been cleared to play after his heart scare.

It wont have any impact on the raptors in the Win/Loss column, but it's always good to hear a player wont be forced to retire early due to heart complications.

Jawai could be a solid player, 6'10" 270lbs with a 7'5" wingspan. Definently has the body to be a force down-low.

Thanks for pointing this out. I had forgotten about him and a few of the other bigs that went in the draft (like Serge Ibaka).  I look forward to seeing how they can play.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 02:14:26 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I don't think the Jermaine O'Neal trade was a good one. Jose Calderon performed better when he was competing for PT with TJ Ford. That's often what happens to players. When they have nothing to "compete" for anymore - or nobody to compete with (and in Jose's case, I believe he was in a contract year), they don't play as well after the fact.

Trading for O'Neal wasn't a huge risk, but it didn't make them a better team. I think Bosh is going to leave Toronto in '10 and team up with LeBron. It's an inevitable chain of events in my opinion.

I think the trade for O'Neal, somebody who has played if he felt like it for the last several seasons, and a player of dubvious character, was a brain-dead GM move.  Especially for what they gave up.  I thought the trade was a train wreck for Tornonto the day it was made.  O'Neal hasn't been relevent in years.  The only thing I can come up with is that Colangelo thought O'Neal, who sees racism everywhere, would play up to his ability for a black coach since Isiah was the last coach he played consistently for.  Even that is a reach.    O'Neal, IMHO, is Mark Blount with three times the salary and talent.  He, like Blount, quit as soon as he got his contract.

Regardless of what happens to Bosh, It will take the Raptors years to recover from the O'Neal trade.

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 02:24:29 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
The JO trade was terrible, simply terrible.  It changed them from an up tempo Euro style team to a plodding half court team.  They would have been much better off keeping TJ Ford.

It was a great trade for Indiana, though.