Author Topic: Gordon Hayward’s wife, Robyn, doing a Q/A on IG. She got asked the question:  (Read 4480 times)

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I think what happens sometimes is players get upset with Danny for trying to be the best GM he can be without worrying about people's feelings.

Luckily Danny knows that this isn't the mafia, where loyalty is all that matters...it's a business that requires him to hurt feelings at times.

Not even sure I'm on the right track exactly, but I think this is a repeating phenomenon through the years.  Players really like being with the Celtics, the magic of it and all, and when they suddenly realize they are not needed it really hurts, no matter how much money they made or will make.

And, the right thing is to move on and be happy with a more prominent role elsewhere, so as Keevesnik said above it's a win win win....

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Base your conclusions on actions, not words..Hayward went to a weaker team for the money. It is what he did, right?

Why make it complicated. MJ paid up and Hayward is a Hornet.

We are all sports fans in one of the greatest sports towns there is...these athletes risk life and limb to get paid.

Are Tom Brady and Gisele any different from Gordon and Robyn? No, I mean in the broadest of terms. The Patriots and the Celtics didn't want them at the price did they?

It was time for them to go and they did.

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I think what happens sometimes is players get upset with Danny for trying to be the best GM he can be without worrying about people's feelings.

This!

This is exactly what was wrong with how the getting rid of isiah thomas issue was perceived by other nba players and their families (... apparently).

Yet before that happened everybody that had a voice in the nba had no problem pointing out IT's shortcomings on defense and how the celtics needed to address that problem.

Danny did and while it happened in an unfortunate manner I have a feeling he's sort of been ostracized by the rest of the nba and is paying for it in some way.

So in the hypocrites eyes we were supposed to hold onto IT, not improve our team and watch the ship sink.

I really think Anthony Davis and his dad are a bunch of cowards to use that as an excuse for not wanting to come here. Karma should interject here.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

This!

This is exactly what was wrong with how the getting rid of isiah thomas issue was perceived by other nba players and their families (... apparently).

Yet before that happened everybody that had a voice in the nba had no problem pointing out IT's shortcomings on defense and how the celtics needed to address that problem.

Danny did and while it happened in an unfortunate manner I have a feeling he's sort of been ostracized by the rest of the nba and is paying for it in some way.

So in the hypocrites eyes we were supposed to hold onto IT, not improve our team and watch the ship sink.

I really think Anthony Davis and his dad are a bunch of cowards to use that as an excuse for not wanting to come here. Karma should interject here.
Kemba was All-NBA the year before he signed here. Jordan had no problem completing two sign and trade deals with Ainge. So clearly, only some NBA players  and people perceive how Danny handled IT and how he handles trade negotiations as being a problem.

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I'm not sure why people are knocking Gordon's wife sticking up for him. Isn't that what a wife should do  :angel:

Gordon's Celtics tenure didn't go right from the beginning. Even before the injury he signed here on the basis he was going to be the No2 scorer behind IT. Then IT got traded, Kyrie came in and sucked all the oxygen out of the room and Gordon's role changed even before he arrived. Then he was injured 5 mins into the season and missed the whole season. Meanwhile the Jays outperformed and helped take the Cs to the ECF and you know how Cs fans love rookies that outperform.

Then he has a setback in his recovery and has to have an additional surgery and misses out on an offseason, meanwhile there are now too many mouths too feed in year 2 with Kyrie, Jaylen, Jayson, Terry, Mook, Smart and Al in addition to Gordon. Team is a disappointment, he is blamed because he's not "Utah Gordon" and Stevens turns him into a bench support player because he has the skillset to facilitate as well as score while the Jays are still primarily scorers at this stage.

By the 3rd season of his tenure even after the departure of Kyrie and Al he is behind the Jays and Kemba because of his ability to be selfless and distribute the ball, and because Jayson who is 8 years younger has emerged as the clear No1 option and Jaylen who is 7 years younger has become the No2. But he makes the best of it, then he is injured during the playoffs and comes back 70% fit to try and help the team against MIA and is criticized for being a step too slow and becomes the pinata for the loss.

So when he has a chance to be the No1 option AND get another $30m contract with the Hornets, and takes it, he then gets criticized for "not being a team player" or "not wanting to be on a winner". When he probably more than any other player sacrificed his game and his role to be a support player when he was here, because of circumstances beyond his control. And his wife makes some comments about how the Hornets wanted to feature him as the No1 and maybe Boston didn't, and people get stuck into her for supporting her husband.  :angel:

Personally I think he's in the right place. Clearly the Boston experience didn't work out for him, good luck to him in Charlotte.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm not sure why people are knocking Gordon's wife sticking up for him. Isn't that what a wife should do  :angel:

Gordon's Celtics tenure didn't go right from the beginning. Even before the injury he signed here on the basis he was going to be the No2 scorer behind IT. Then IT got traded, Kyrie came in and sucked all the oxygen out of the room and Gordon's role changed even before he arrived. Then he was injured 5 mins into the season and missed the whole season. Meanwhile the Jays outperformed and helped take the Cs to the ECF and you know how Cs fans love rookies that outperform.

Then he has a setback in his recovery and has to have an additional surgery and misses out on an offseason, meanwhile there are now too many mouths too feed in year 2 with Kyrie, Jaylen, Jayson, Terry, Mook, Smart and Al in addition to Gordon. Team is a disappointment, he is blamed because he's not "Utah Gordon" and Stevens turns him into a bench support player because he has the skillset to facilitate as well as score while the Jays are still primarily scorers at this stage.

By the 3rd season of his tenure even after the departure of Kyrie and Al he is behind the Jays and Kemba because of his ability to be selfless and distribute the ball, and because Jayson who is 8 years younger has emerged as the clear No1 option and Jaylen who is 7 years younger has become the No2. But he makes the best of it, then he is injured during the playoffs and comes back 70% fit to try and help the team against MIA and is criticized for being a step too slow and becomes the pinata for the loss.

So when he has a chance to be the No1 option AND get another $30m contract with the Hornets, and takes it, he then gets criticized for "not being a team player" or "not wanting to be on a winner". When he probably more than any other player sacrificed his game and his role to be a support player when he was here, because of circumstances beyond his control. And his wife makes some comments about how the Hornets wanted to feature him as the No1 and maybe Boston didn't, and people get stuck into her for supporting her husband.  :angel:

Personally I think he's in the right place. Clearly the Boston experience didn't work out for him, good luck to him in Charlotte.
Stop it ozgod!!!

This is much too logical and makes way too much sense for this blog. That much logic and common sense could scare off a lot of posters here at CelticsStrong. I'm sure byennie wouldn't like the exodus!

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m not super comfortable criticizing player wives.  They don’t speak for their husbands, but they’re naturally going to speak in support of their husbands.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Hayward wanted out of Boston cause I say he wasn’t comfortable there..being the 4th option wasn’t his thing
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Hayward wanted out of Boston cause I say he wasn’t comfortable there..being the 4th option wasn’t his thing
Which is perfectly reasonable.  Hayward is a 2nd option player on a good team.  Expecting him to be satisfied playing 4th fiddle is not realistic. 

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Which is perfectly reasonable.  Hayward is a 2nd option player on a good team.  Expecting him to be satisfied playing 4th fiddle is not realistic.

I think he proved in Utah that he can be the first option on a good (but not great) team. 

I wish she had never gotten injured, because he would have had three years to adjust to the role of being a 1D option.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

I think he proved in Utah that he can be the first option on a good (but not great) team. 

I wish she had never gotten injured, because he would have had three years to adjust to the role of being a 1D option.
By good team, I mean good contending playoff team.  1D is just a cute way of saying you're 4th option.  Hayward wasn't going to adjust to that unless his game degraded significantly. 

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

By good team, I mean good contending playoff team.  1D is just a cute way of saying you're 4th option.  Hayward wasn't going to adjust to that unless his game degraded significantly.

Yes he had three healthy years like last one, where he was averaging 18 points per game and we were making deep playoff runs, I expect that he would still be here.  If you assume that last season was the base of what a healthy Hayward could do, by year three we would have been clicking extremely well.