Author Topic: Retroactive Dunk Contest Idea  (Read 924 times)

Retroactive Dunk Contest Idea
« on: February 20, 2019, 07:27:00 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Given how poor the dunk contest was this season and how there was some rumours  that Vince Carter was interested in returning, I had an idea what could have been an amazing return for Vince... He walks in wearing his current tracksuit as the lights are almost completely out on the floor and then he bends down to touch his sneakers as he lights up his Nike Mags! The crowd go crazy as the lights return and Carter strips off his tracksuit to reveal either his high school jersey from 1989 (Back to the Future II) or his Toronto jersey from his goat dunk contest year... he then proceeds to dunks with ferocity, does his signature pose and then takes off his Mags and signs them for a future charity auction...Boom!

Anyone else agree that this would have been awesome?!

Re: Retroactive Dunk Contest Idea
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 07:29:18 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I do agree that would have been awesome.

What gets me is the scoring of the dunks. How in the ?&*$ does Smith get a 50 after 6 tries on a dunk? Absolute bias. There is no way that Smith was in the same stratosphere with Diallo. It would have been a crime if Diallo lost because of judging. Also, how does Collins get such low scores when he hits his dunks primarily on first try every time? I feel that at very least you should get an "extra" point for first try dunk completion and you should get automatic deduction of a point for each unsuccessful try at a dunk.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 08:50:48 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
dunk contest should have been retired decades ago.  surprised anyone still watches it.

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 09:38:53 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Oh man that Collins dunk over the plane. Worst dunk ever.

Who told him that would be cool???

I disagree the dunk contest is dead, but it's on life support.

Skills challenge needs to be expanded.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 10:36:20 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Yeah that skills challenge needs to be updated.

I would nix the dunk contest, and have a 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 contest.  That would be fun. Another idea is a game of horse (with no dunks).

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 10:43:46 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

He wanted to do a Kitty Hawk thing for North Carolina I guess. But it looked goofy to begin with and veered into comedy when he broke the plane.

Problem with the dunk contest is there's only so many ways to dunk so it starts getting more and more gimmicky and prop-based.  I don't think it's dead though, the LaVine/Gordon contest was an all-timer and that was what 3 years ago?

Agree on drastically changing the skills competition, as our guy Tatum showed the only thing that really mattered is making the last 3-pointer.  Needs to be more room for guys to get bigger leads earlier on.

Another idea is a game of horse (with no dunks).

They tried that a few years ago - problem is it takes too long to fit into a schedule and pre-taping is pointless in the social media era. Too bad, I'd love to see what kind of crazy shots players can make. Maybe a trick shot competition that's scored similarly to the dunk contest?