Author Topic: Celtics, 76ers Decided Against Leonard Trade Due To belief he'd sign in LA  (Read 2440 times)

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Should've traded for Kawhi even if he was a one-year rental. He brought Toronto a championship.

The Raptors gave up a pick, Poltl, and Derozan just for him (and Danny Green).

You mean the guy who'd quit on the best franchise in the NBA, had some sort of secretive quad injury whose severity no one could assess, and seemed determined to play in Los Angeles in a year's time?

It's not complicated: Toronto took a major gamble and it paid off. Along the way, many things had to go right, including one of the most amazing rim bounces in conference finals history, and their finals opponent suffering devastating injuries to two of its top three players, to name just two of them.

You can acknowledge both that 1) Toronto gambled and won, and 2) other teams that didn't make the same gamble aren't stupid just because they didn't.

This.  It's amazing to me the number of people willing to give up a lot for a 1 yr rental player who publicly wants to play for another team.

I guess it really comes down to how good you think (or thought at the time) Kawhi is.

I think most teams in the NBA would have traded anything to have a 1 year rental of Michael Jordan in a contract year.

They certainly wouldn't have balked if the price was merely Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown.