Author Topic: Boycotting playoff games that don't start by 8:30  (Read 14188 times)

Re: Boycotting playoff games that don't start by 8:30
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 11:17:25 AM »

Offline The4Time2Doctor0

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 18
i love the late games, it weeds out all the old fogies who can't make it to the half. we've given you your 4 o'clock dinners and haven't taken away your driver's licenses; make the games even later for all i care.

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 11:48:45 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
i love the late games, it weeds out all the old fogies who can't make it to the half. we've given you your 4 o'clock dinners and haven't taken away your driver's licenses; make the games even later for all i care.

i take it you don't work mornings then?

because this 25 year old "old fogey" has to be at his desk by 7:30 AM sharp in DT crossing, which means his "old fogey" butt has to drag itself to the train station at 5:45. and since I have all kinds of "old fogey" personal hygene needs in the morning, that means im up at 4:45.

so yea, I guess i'm ancient, what with my selfish disier for 5 hours or so of sleep.

thats why this old man is taking a nap when he gets out of work today so he can stay up  ;)

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 01:11:30 PM »

Offline The4Time2Doctor0

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 18
you're 25 you should be able to work on 5 hours of sleep; i get 4 hours and I'm fine. I still have time to take 9 credits a semester, work as a mailman, run my own audio production company out of my house, and get a good workout each and every day. stop whining, you sod.  i am a year younger than you, though i heard everything really starts to go when you hit the big 2 5. there's also a magical device called tivo. its cheap and magically it allows you to watch anything at any time of your choosing. also, i have enrolled you at camp "quityour****in," its a quaint resort steeped in native American tradition. I'm quite sure you will enjoy yourself. now cool it or i'll break your hip.

Yeh, that's a bit over the top in the way of personal attack.  I hear the sarcasm, just tone it down - a bunch.  - redz
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 01:30:03 PM by Redz »

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 01:13:03 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
I don't necessary like the 10pm start, but I LOVE the fact that the east coast gets to watch an early & late game. If you live in Cali all you get is one primetime game unless you take time off of work. I mean, the Dodgers game starts @ 6:30 eastern time today, that means the east coast gets to watch the game but LA doesn't. I don't see how that could possibly work out better for Boston fans, on top of the fact that I couldn't care less how late the game starts because I'll watch every pitch no matter what.

Heres what I know, if I lived in LA I wouldn't get to see my home team play(assuming you're a Dodgers fan)their 1st playoff game & I'd be tracking the game all afternoon on the computer. I'm sure Dodger fans would rather have our situation any day of the week. Call it circumstance, call it bias, whatever it is it equals 7 hours of postseason baseball for me and that puts an enormous smile on my face!

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 01:20:21 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
you're 25 you should be able to work on 5 hours of sleep; i get 4 hours and I'm fine. I still have time to take 9 credits a semester, work as a mailman, run my own audio production company out of my house, and get a good workout each and every day. stop whining, you sod.  i am a year younger than you, though i heard everything really starts to go when you hit the big 2 5. there's also a magical device called tivo. its cheap and magically it allows you to watch anything at any time of your choosing. also, i have enrolled you at camp "quityour****in," its a quaint resort steeped in native American tradition. I'm quite sure you will enjoy yourself. now cool it or i'll break your hip.

A little harsh huh?  Especially when crownsy said he doesn't really mind the late games.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 01:27:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Speaking as one of the "old fogeys", I stay up and watch the games anyway but I don't think it's right for east coast games to start so late because my kids never got to see the end of the games. If you have teen age boys who are as sports hungry and crazy as mine are, it's tough being the bad guy sending them to bed at a reasonable hour with the game only in the fifth or sixth inning. That's not the best way to grow a fan base when the youngest fans can't stay up and watch the championship games.

I will say that I made a deal with them that in the ALCS and World Series if they wanted to stay up and watch the game they had to nap for a minimum of two hours before the game and have their homework done and come hell or high water they were going to school the next day,no questions asked.

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 01:33:04 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Yeh, that's a bit over the top in the way of personal attack.  I hear the sarcasm, just tone it down - a bunch.  - redz

what good would Tivo'ing a game do? you honestly think i'd make it through the day without knowing what happened?

Also, i never said I couldn't Do it, its just blatantly irresponsable. I could drink till 2 in the morning and go in hung over, but i like my job and being considered a realiable worker, and coming in with red eyes tired as hell is considered kind of a bad thing in my chosen line of work, where the idea is to present a good image to clients.

Could i "man it up" and go on 4 hours of sleep a night, come into work dishelved and underslept, and do my job to the letter of the requirments and keep my job? sure.

But i have no desire to, i owe myself, my employeer and my career more than that kind of half hearted commitment. I foolishly take some pride in my job, guess i can't head over to this "reservation" with you.  :-\

I think i'll stick with my plan of taking a nap this afternoon and then watching it. sorry i don't meet your expectiations of manliness.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 01:43:38 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 01:34:31 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

For the record (as someone who studies sleep for a living)...this is absolutely wrong, and incredibly dangerous.  Yes, there are  exceptions to the rule (which you may be), but there is mounds of data showing that getting less than the required amount of sleep (~8 hours in the average adult) leads to drastic impairments of alertness, and cognitive performance.  It leads to sub par performance, and also endangers everyone if you decide to drive when you are drowsy.

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 01:55:19 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Enjoy seeing how far burning the candle at both ends gets ya.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 11:39:25 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If the games started here at 5:30 I'd love it. I'd get to listen to some of it on the radio on the way home or it would be starting right as I get home. You could watch it during dinner and when it finished it would still be prime time and I could watch a show and get to go to bed knowing who the winner was. How does starting games at 5ish PST hurt the west coast? It's as simple as this. They get to watch all the games and we don't. I don't know what we did to become baseball's second class citizens but it happened. So i will support leagues whose games I actually get to watch. If they can get away with this the next thing that will happen will be 10pm Super Bowls. And then 11pm Super Bowls. If they can get the Hawaii audience by screwing us and we all watch anyway they'll do that too. And then maybe it'll be "But Hawaiians are people too." No they aren't. No they aren't I say.

again, im glad it would work out for YOU, but that doesn't give you the right to arbitrary decided that California has to lose their 7pm games, which have been the traditional start times of baseball games since i can remember,  which are super covenant, to appease you on a personal level.

right now, i get off work at 5PM. i have things to do after work, im not ussaly in the house until 6:30ish, so the 7 oclock starts are great. why, if i lived out west, should i be expected to miss an hour and a half of the game for your personal satisfaction? not everyone works the same hours, my roomate doesn't get home till 7 ish, it would be even worse for him.

Personally, it would benefit my viewing schedule  greatly this year if no NFL games started before 4PM, since i have a little brother in pop warner and he plays 1:30-3:30, but that doesn't mean i'm going to get all uppity and demand that all Football games start at 4PM or i'll do some kind of boycott because I'm inconvenienced. plenty of people, (including me when pop warner isn't going on) love the one oclocks.

It's incredibly self centered, and down right Anti-butu (new word alert  :D) to put yourself on some kind of pedistal and demand the world change for your personal satisfaction.

It's not self centered at all. How would CA like it if we chose times to watch games that they basically couldn't see any of it at all, which is what's happening now?

I don't remember lots of traditional 10pm start times. And other posters are right. The late start times are seeping into games with two teams on the east coast. We get 9pm start times for teams in the East and Central. What the heck is traditional about that?

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 11:53:25 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
If the games started here at 5:30 I'd love it. I'd get to listen to some of it on the radio on the way home or it would be starting right as I get home. You could watch it during dinner and when it finished it would still be prime time and I could watch a show and get to go to bed knowing who the winner was. How does starting games at 5ish PST hurt the west coast? It's as simple as this. They get to watch all the games and we don't. I don't know what we did to become baseball's second class citizens but it happened. So i will support leagues whose games I actually get to watch. If they can get away with this the next thing that will happen will be 10pm Super Bowls. And then 11pm Super Bowls. If they can get the Hawaii audience by screwing us and we all watch anyway they'll do that too. And then maybe it'll be "But Hawaiians are people too." No they aren't. No they aren't I say.

again, im glad it would work out for YOU, but that doesn't give you the right to arbitrary decided that California has to lose their 7pm games, which have been the traditional start times of baseball games since i can remember,  which are super covenant, to appease you on a personal level.

right now, i get off work at 5PM. i have things to do after work, im not ussaly in the house until 6:30ish, so the 7 oclock starts are great. why, if i lived out west, should i be expected to miss an hour and a half of the game for your personal satisfaction? not everyone works the same hours, my roomate doesn't get home till 7 ish, it would be even worse for him.

Personally, it would benefit my viewing schedule  greatly this year if no NFL games started before 4PM, since i have a little brother in pop warner and he plays 1:30-3:30, but that doesn't mean i'm going to get all uppity and demand that all Football games start at 4PM or i'll do some kind of boycott because I'm inconvenienced. plenty of people, (including me when pop warner isn't going on) love the one oclocks.

It's incredibly self centered, and down right Anti-butu (new word alert  :D) to put yourself on some kind of pedistal and demand the world change for your personal satisfaction.

I don't remember lots of traditional 10pm start times. And other posters are right. The late start times are seeping into games with two teams on the east coast. We get 9pm start times for teams in the East and Central. What the heck is traditional about that?

as was brought up sevral post ago, thats a diffrent issue that fox does in the ALCS with tryign to shift both games into primetime, that i could be with you on, and posted as such. those games should start at 7 in the time zone they are located in, just as they do in the AL/NLDS.

10PM isn't the games start time. They are starting at 7PM, the traditional start time since i can remeber, as i said. It sucks that There's a three hour time diffreance, but in CAL, those games are starting at the traditional start time of 7PM. Thier game last night ended at 10:11, the time most of our games get over all year when they start at 7.

Again, you've yet to prove to me why we should be in favor of screwing with thier start times because they happen to have a geographical time change involved. "how would they like it!!!" is an irrelvant argument, as it still places a higher value on our happiness over thier right to have the same start times as they did all season.

I.E "were better than you are, suck it up and play your games when WE want YOU to. It's more important you conform to our schedule than you do to ours"

Thats a self centered attitude, anyway you slice it.

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 12:09:49 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
As a Sox/Celts fan in L.A., I love the 7pm start time.  Last night's game was the first weekday playoff game I didn't have to TIVO and log out of AIM (so friends watching on the internet wouldn't spoil it).  Also, TIVO'ing games comes with a cost too ... especially deciding games, when, if my team wins, the phone will inevitably ring from one of my long-lost friends who doesn't know/remember/care that I TIVO all the games, and decides to call and congratulate me.  So, when the phone doesn't ring, I start to wonder. LOL.

Last night none of that!  I was in heaven.  And, Friday, I'm GOING TO THE GAME!

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2008, 12:14:34 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
These start times are dictated by television and maximizing ad revenue.

Right now, you have 4 series' going on and each needs to be resolved before the start of the LCS'.  This is a small time frame to work with.  Complicating the matters (for east coasters) is the fact that they're are two pacific time zone teams playing.  This leads to the staggering for starting times that acts in the detriment of east coast fans.  Both TBS & Fox know that advertisers will pay more for primetime slots which have more viewers.  Thus, they want people at home on BOTH coasts if all's possible.  This leads to last night's 10pm start.  Also contributing to the matter was the fact that the other two games were played in a Eastern Time Zone city and a Central Time Zone city.  Naturally, the game being played on the West Coast is going to get the late slot.  Also throw into the picture that Los Angeles and Boston are both top 10 media markets, its a no brainer for the television executives to put this game in primetime on the East Coast and as close to primetime as possible on the West Coast.  The TBS' and Fox' of the world paying high television rights fees to Major League Baseball on the condition that they get those primetime slots.  Major League Baseball wants to maximize revenue so they give in.  

You can also forget about the "What about the kids?" argument.  That fell by the wayside a loooong time ago.  Budweiser, Blackberry, etc... want to hit that all important 18-35 demographic.  The far majority of that group will be watching in primetime.  The advertisers want to maximize the exposure there.  Kids just don't have that appeal.

It's all about the allmighty $$$ when it comes to these game start times.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2008, 12:27:39 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I remember the 2004 LCS and how late those crazy games were ending.  It was my senior year of high school and it kind of brought us all together.  Students, teachers, even the principals were drained.  We were all zombies who didn't get much work done and talked a lot about the games.  Moral of the story, as long as your boss is a Sox fan and you have time to nap when you get out, it's not too bad.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2008, 01:09:23 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I watched the whole game, read for a bit, snoozed til 7, and I'm chipper.

It's the games where an error leading to a run costs you in the end that will keep your head spinning all night even after you've gone to bed. Last night was a nice, peaceful slumber. I'll take quality sleep over quantity any time.
Yup