Author Topic: bullpen needs to change asap  (Read 2471 times)

bullpen needs to change asap
« on: July 02, 2008, 11:34:56 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
blowing games left and right, nobody in the team has faith in the bullpen and its depressing

especially some bullpen players have to be let go or sent down. Manny declaremen(i think his time is up). I'm even tired of giving him a chance back in the minor to only mess things up again. Another guy that should get the axe is david aarsdman or however u spell his last name.

Redsox have a ton of prospects and its time for them to not try to keep them all and improve areas like the bullpen, or get starting pitching help and a solid guy like masterson to the bullpen or wakefield. We just need two solid reliable bullpen guys other than papelbon

I mean even trusted guys like okajima have been struggling. Whose our pitching coach again?? cuz part of the blame has to be on him

I know francona is a real players coach and he gives them lots of chances and out of gratitude most of them come through but the longer the worst the chance gets to repeat

Re: bullpen needs to change asap
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 11:42:30 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
I think it's on the starters.  They can't turn it over in the sixth every game and expect everything to be all right.

Building a bullpen has got to be one of the trickiest aspects of sports.  Good bullpens are almost always young and relief pitchers are so combustible that I don't think you ever know from year to year who will be good and who will be bad.  I can't even imagine the shelf life of an effective relief pitcher.  Can anyone name a 7th or 8th inning guy who has been effective for a span of years?  You get good in the bullpen and then you become a closer.  Or you flame out and wander the league.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 12:07:36 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I think we're just one arm away in the pen.  I've casually heard the name Brian Fuentes more time this year than I cursed Eric Gagne last year.  Is he the one arm that we need?
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 12:14:27 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
blowing games left and right, nobody in the team has faith in the bullpen and its depressing

especially some bullpen players have to be let go or sent down. Manny declaremen(i think his time is up). I'm even tired of giving him a chance back in the minor to only mess things up again. Another guy that should get the axe is david aarsdman or however u spell his last name.

Redsox have a ton of prospects and its time for them to not try to keep them all and improve areas like the bullpen, or get starting pitching help and a solid guy like masterson to the bullpen or wakefield. We just need two solid reliable bullpen guys other than papelbon

I mean even trusted guys like okajima have been struggling. Whose our pitching coach again?? cuz part of the blame has to be on him

I know francona is a real players coach and he gives them lots of chances and out of gratitude most of them come through but the longer the worst the chance gets to repeat

You think Delcarmen's time is up?

The kid had back to back bad games. 6 ER in 1 inning. Apparently the 2 ER in his previous 21 innings must have been a sign of how inconsistent he is, how the organization should give up on him and and how he needs to back up his bags and go.

Take away his last two performances and the ones on Apr 24th and May 4th and in 34 appearances this year Delcarmen will have given up 8 ER and have an ERA of 2.18. That doesn't exactly sound like a guy that the Sox should toss aside.

As a matter of fact take those 4 appearances out of the question and since mid June of last year 26 year old Manny Delcarmen has the following stats:

Games - 78
Innings - 77
Earned Runs - 18
Ks - 74
BBs - 26
ERA - 2.10
WHIP - 1.02

And you want to declare his time here done?

A little insider's knowledge here. People in the Red Sox organization feel when Delcarmen hits free agency the club is going to lose him because he is going to command big bucks as a closer. Good thing they control his right for 3 more years.