Poll

What should happen to Jason Whitlock

Suspended
Fired
No Discipline
Ridiculed into submission for his hypocrisy

Author Topic: What should happen to Jason Whitlock  (Read 29638 times)

Re: What should happen to Jason Whitlock
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 10:54:58 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I think Fox should suspend him because he tells easy and lame dick jokes.

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 10:57:30 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Nobody rushed to condemn SNL or Maher. Nobody rushed to the defense of my guys.

SNL and Bill Maher get paid to make jokes and make fun of people. They make fun of everybody.

Whitlock gets paid to report sporting news and to editorialize on race issues within sports.

He does not get paid to crack racial jokes on FoxSports Twitter feed.

I personal don't care what happens but I think at least a good suspension is in line.

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 10:58:46 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
From the article:

The tweet “doesn’t hold up to the conduct of responsible journalists,

lol  Whitlock and responsible journalist is about the ultimate oxymoron.  Whitlock has always been the jackson/sharpton of journalists.

Speaking of hypocrisy ....

His only "crime" was picking the wrong guy/thing. If Lin was an outspoken Christian and he did a long skit about how he's not actually good and neither is his team and Jesus is just doing all the work people would be here saying "Hey guys! See that skit! It was so funny!"

I'm not his father and don't like thinking about everyone I'm going to offend or make cry every time I say or write something.

I'm pretty sure Lin is ok.  Back to real problems.

Bingo....We saw a great example of such selective outrage with that disgusting minaj exhibition last night.  

If they didn't fire Whitlock for his racist rant about Jordan last year during the strike....He's virtually unfirable.

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

SNL and Bill Maher get paid to make jokes and make fun of people. They make fun of everybody.
Yeah I don't think the exact same joke made in a comedy format raises any sort of concern or outrage. SNL makes dick jokes all the time. Its all about what your job is and where you're making the joke.

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 11:04:23 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Woah woah woah...towards Nick and Faf.   You really think SNL makes fun of everyone?

And SNL could make the same joke re Lin and the Aisian community wouldn't mind?

I don't know....

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 11:05:07 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Bingo....We saw a great example of such selective outrage with that disgusting minaj exhibition last night.  

Considering that most of the reaction around the web, on twitter, and elsewhere was pretty darn negative I think you're projecting here.

Selective outrage is merely acknowledging that different people get upset about different things.

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 11:06:40 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yeah I don't think the exact same joke made in a comedy format raises any sort of concern or outrage. SNL makes dick jokes all the time. Its all about what your job is and where you're making the joke.

Agreed.  SNL is, and always has been, a comedy sketch show with a heavy emphasis on satire.   That Tebow sketch was exactly there.  Poking fun at a current topic but it was generally understand and accepted to be in a light-hearted manner.  Most people knew what they were getting there watching it.

This Whitlock tweet was a whole different animal, IMO.  That wasn't satire.  Also, justified or not, you have to consider the source here and Whitlock's past in regards to race.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 11:11:51 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Agreed.  SNL is, and always has been, a comedy sketch show with a heavy emphasis on satire.   That Tebow sketch was exactly there.  Poking fun at a current topic but it was generally understand and accepted to be in a light-hearted manner.  Most people knew what they were getting there watching it.

This Whitlock tweet was a whole different animal, IMO.  That wasn't satire.  Also, justified or not, you have to consider the source here and Whitlock's past in regards to race.
Well this brings us to something else....Is Whitlock more SNL or more Maher and is Maher really the equivalent of SNL....I find SNL way more lighthearted than Maher, and Maher has just as big a history with....insensitivity....as Whitlock

I just find this to be very picky choosy. I'm trying to think of a lighthearted equivalent Jewish or Islamic sketch. Having a hard time. Maybe Jewish because of all the Jewish writers and actors. Not so much Islamic. And probably not black.

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 11:12:26 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Fire him for being an incompetent hack of a journalist anyway. I feel like Fox was just given a wonderful excuse to fire him.

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 11:12:33 AM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41

So I'm not going to condemn Whitlock or worry about Lin.

Not playing this game.  Boo freaking hoo.

It's between Whitlock, his employers, and the Asian community. Gee I wonder who'll win that one.

This sort of double standard doesn't shock me in the least. If the media doesn't like someone you can say whatever you want about them. I wish this would change but I don't see it happening in my lifetime.

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 11:16:41 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Personally I think the issue here isnt so much that a journalist makes a racist tweet/joke, but that Whitlock who seems to always show up as an authoritative source when a race issue occurs was the one who did it. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 11:18:11 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Personally I think the issue here isnt so much that a journalist makes a racist tweet/joke, but that Whitlock who seems to always show up as an authoritative source when a race issue occurs was the one who did it. 
Yeah, but it's self-assinged authority. Nobody actually signed up for that one.

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 11:23:04 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Yeah, but it's self-assinged authority. Nobody actually signed up for that one.

Of course which I think just adds to the ridiculousness of the situation. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 11:23:57 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

Considering that most of the reaction around the web, on twitter, and elsewhere was pretty darn negative I think you're projecting here.

Selective outrage is merely acknowledging that different people get upset about different things.

The difference, Faf, is that the selective outrage doesn't transcend to management.  An editor approved that ridiculous racist rant on Jordan to be published with no accountability to Whitlock.  CBS, Grammy management, knew about that pathetic disgusting minag skit...Or whatever that was...to go on last night...

Fans / readers etc can be as outraged as they want.  But beyond lip service there is no in-earnest accountability for whitlock, minag, or at the next level....Because Whitlock's editor (sadly)....Grammy producers (sadly) are like-minded.

But let Limbaugh state the obvious or Imus do exactly the same thing that Whitlock did and see how management caves....The dictionary definition of selective outrage, Faf.

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 11:24:36 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

I just find this to be very picky choosy. I'm trying to think of a lighthearted equivalent Jewish or Islamic sketch. Having a hard time. Maybe Jewish because of all the Jewish writers and actors. Not so much Islamic. And probably not black.

You are, of course, discounting every "Coffee Talk " sketch ever, right?