Author Topic: I got rid of Facebook. When will you?  (Read 33484 times)

Re: I got rid of Facebook. When will you?
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2011, 01:25:28 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Uggh!  Facebook?  Lame!

I'm in my last year of college right now. I remember when Facebook was still developing, not many people new about it, and Myspace was the craze. I was probably a junior or senior in high school then. The point of that little story is that I missed the Myspace craze, too.

I have a few friends. (people I see on a regular basis, talk to, and get together with.) That's it. Just a few. I used to have a lot more friends back when I was in high school, but I have no desire to stay in touch with them through the internet, unfortunately.

I know a lot of my former friends from high school have about 100 to 200 friends on their Facebook, and they are all former high school "friends." I just have no desire to see what Joe Schmo is up five years after high school, honestly.

Perhaps Facebook is a good tool for those who have twenty close friends. But how many people have that many close friends? Most have two, three, or maybe even four. Or maybe Facebook is good for those who just like to lurk around and see what their old acquaintances are up to. That's fine. That sort of thing is not for me personally, but I can understand why some do it.

I'm just not very social anymore. But I feel that there are many people who are less social than me who are on Facebook. What do they do, make good with strangers or half acquaintances? It's unfortunate that I'm indifferent on Facebook because when I meet someone new they invariably say, "Are you on Facebook?"

On another note, this is an observation I've made: I find that at school (a four year university) women are much more open about talking about Facebook than men, yet aren't men and women equally on FB? It seems like men keep it as a guilty pleasure...   Has anyone observed this?

TP!

My sentiments, exactly.

I keep in contact with my faimly and friends quite well without any such non-sense.  If I don't know you?  Well, and not to sound snobby or such, I don't care.  Too many other things going on in life to worry about someone I don't know taking a dump and then posting about it on Facebook.

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
It's funny, I'm definitely seeing a trend of younger folk liking it less and less and older like it more.
Yup

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2011, 02:26:03 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
eh, I'm probably the last person on the planet to have the internet and never sign up for either Facebook or Myspace. 

I don't spend much time on the internet as it is and when I do, I prefer to spend quality time on it by coming here   ;)

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2011, 02:52:08 PM »

Offline boom

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 26
eh, I'm probably the last person on the planet to have the internet and never sign up for either Facebook or Myspace. 

I don't spend much time on the internet as it is and when I do, I prefer to spend quality time on it by coming here   ;)

This thread is too funny. I deactivated my account this morning actually. I logged on, read through my new-feed, and realized that I could care less about any single status that was shown. Even close friends' statuses. Like someone above stated, there's only so much "baking, cooking, laundry, football, blah blah blah" crap, and I don't care!

Im 25 too, got it went I was a freshman at college, and now I despise it. If someone really wants to contact me, they have my cell number or e-mail.

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2011, 02:52:38 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
It's funny, I'm definitely seeing a trend of younger folk liking it less and less and older like it more.

the funny thing is, like 6 years ago, you needed a student ID number to sign up for facebook, it was exclusively for college kids.  When myspace came around its when the whole can of worms got opened.

it can get pretty annoying now that all the older folks are on it.  I have aunts, uncles, parents, grandparents, and cousins as young as 14 on facebook.  Nowadays you either have to go out of your way to block people from seeing certain things on your page, such as pictures.  You gotta watch what you write on your status and what people post on your wall because you might either offend grandma, or pierce 14 year old Timmys virgin ears.  It can be a chore, especially when you cant control what other people are putting on your page sometimes.  Back in the day it was like a social shelter for college students, you can drop the F bomb on there and not think twice about it.

I felt horrible last year because I had blocked my little 15 year old cousin Audrey from seeing my status updates, and it turns out it blocks them from seeing your wall and posting on it too.  She had tried to wish me a happy birthday on my wall but couldnt do it, so she had to send me a private message.  I felt awful and told her I accidentally blocked her and meant to someone else.
Greg

« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2011, 02:57:43 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Maybe its just me....but I find it really annoying to see family members (especially those who live in the same house) commenting on each other's status etc.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2011, 03:01:14 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
It is ironic to hear people who frequent this pointless and anonymous site critique Facebook as a place to communicate irrelevant info.

I can't stand the useless updates about baking cookies, Johnny is home from college and other irrelevant topics.  It gives people a way to be "famous" even if their lives are boring.

Maybe we need to be more understanding of people. A status update about baking need not be about being famous. It is sharing your life, which is part of being a social person for many.

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2011, 04:17:37 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

This thread is too funny. I deactivated my account this morning actually. I logged on, read through my new-feed, and realized that I could care less about any single status that was shown. Even close friends' statuses. Like someone above stated, there's only so much "baking, cooking, laundry, football, blah blah blah" crap, and I don't care!

Im 25 too, got it went I was a freshman at college, and now I despise it. If someone really wants to contact me, they have my cell number or e-mail.

LOL! And just goes to prove it's not an "age" thing because I'm 52.

« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2011, 04:21:55 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

the funny thing is, like 6 years ago, you needed a student ID number to sign up for facebook, it was exclusively for college kids.  When myspace came around its when the whole can of worms got opened.

it can get pretty annoying now that all the older folks are on it.  I have aunts, uncles, parents, grandparents, and cousins as young as 14 on facebook.  Nowadays you either have to go out of your way to block people from seeing certain things on your page, such as pictures.  You gotta watch what you write on your status and what people post on your wall because you might either offend grandma, or pierce 14 year old Timmys virgin ears.  It can be a chore, especially when you cant control what other people are putting on your page sometimes.  Back in the day it was like a social shelter for college students, you can drop the F bomb on there and not think twice about it.

I felt horrible last year because I had blocked my little 15 year old cousin Audrey from seeing my status updates, and it turns out it blocks them from seeing your wall and posting on it too.  She had tried to wish me a happy birthday on my wall but couldnt do it, so she had to send me a private message.  I felt awful and told her I accidentally blocked her and meant to someone else.

It's best to stay within your own generation on FB. Have your friends, but not your friend's kids as friends.
Yup

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2011, 04:43:20 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I guess I don't understand Facebook at all.  At one time I created an account, but never have added anything more than my name.  I just don't see why anyone would be interested in anything I do or in seeing pictures of me or my family -- and I certainly can't imagine posting anything personal/private to a broad audience -- why would I want to do that?  I am also not intersted in others personal lives to be honest (I feel like a voyeur).  I have received a few requests to be friends but haven't accepted one.  I am not really interested in what they are doing, or what pictures they may post, etc.  I use e-mail to communicate with my real friends and I use the telephone too.  

I recall receiving Christmas card updates from some folks through the years who like to fill everyone on their x-mas card list about their family and their year. I generally have no interest. If they are my friend, I already know what they look like and know what their year was like.  Nothing wrong with x-mas card greetings but anything more feels phony to me. Or, it feels like the sender may feel a bit too much self-importance.  Anyway, that's what i think of Facebook -- though I am almost certain it's because there is something I must not understand about it.

Like SurferDad, I am also 52 -- I'd say its a generational thing but i know many older folks use it. Anyway, I think it must be that there is a aecret I am not privvy to or some human thing I am genetically deprived of.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:35:08 PM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2011, 04:57:07 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

It's best to stay within your own generation on FB. Have your friends, but not your friend's kids as friends.

easier said than done.  it's not my friends kid, it's my uncles daughter.  It's not easy having them ask you to be their friend and then have to deny them because you dont want them to see what goes on in your personal life.

it's a sticky situation, but none the less the point you made is a valid one, if you stay within your generation you wont have any problems
Greg

« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2011, 05:06:27 PM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123
I'm not sociable off, or on the internet.  You can all go to hell .. take your facebook with you and go ... 
 ::)
Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2011, 05:07:12 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Crumpler misses chance for glory.

I'll take 3 given what could have been on the other end.

Oops - wrong thread.

« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2011, 05:30:57 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Facebook is also being blamed for a lot of divorce cases now.

The number of divorces occurring because of Facebook and other social networking sites has been on the rise since these sites have become increasingly popular, research claims. These sites are being utilized more and more by unhappy individuals to seek out and have an affair and cheat on their partner.

Facebook is being cited in almost one in five of online divorce petitions, lawyers have claimed.

http://thetechjournal.com/internet/facebook-is-the-new-cause-of-divorce.xhtml#

Oversharing on social networks has led to an overabundance of evidence in divorce cases. The American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers says 81 percent of its members have used or faced evidence plucked from Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and other social networking sites, including YouTube and LinkedIn, over the last five years.

"Oh, I've had some fun ones," said Linda Lea Viken, president-elect of the 1,600-member group. "It's very, very common in my new cases."

Facebook is the unrivaled leader for turning virtual reality into real-life divorce drama, Viken said. Sixty-six percent of the lawyers surveyed cited Facebook foibles as the source of online evidence, she said. MySpace followed with 15 percent, followed by Twitter at 5 percent.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37986320/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/

"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2011, 08:12:45 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
Guava wrench -
I am not concerned with the inherent irrelevance of status updates. But I don't agree with your belief that sharing tidbits into one's life makes a person social or keys you into his/her real life. Most facebookers (I too was guilty of this) are simply trying to build up their boring lives - which, ironically, appears to have the opposite effect of hindering legitimate social relations.

Make note that because this is the internet, this is a virtual reality, as I talked about before. What we do and say on here - whether it's facebook or Celticsblog, are hardly a reflection of who we really are. It is moreso a reflection of how we want others to perceive us. Even amongst people I know, there are inconsistencies between real life behavior and online behavior. This leads me to formulate that Facebook is a crutch for many of its users. Its addictive format inhibits real communication and desire for positive relationships. The older folk are best equipped to use it because, by and large, they are way past the popularity contest stage, and are merely seeking connections with past and present acquaintances. Sadly though, a lot of older folk misuse the site too. I was connected to some older family members that were on the site all day. Some workplaces haven't blocked facebook out of their system. That is when the bulk of working professionals appear to be most active on the site - playing games like Farmville.

Facebook also has lots of positives that I won't brush off for the sake of making my argument. It is a terrific (and free) outlet to advertise your business and promote sales. It does also accomplish its goal of connecting people who don't have an alternate method of connection since so many people use it.

I guess you can say some are secure enough in their personality that they retain their genuineness while communicating with others on the internet. But it is easy to get overboard. Because that is where the problems that I have addressed in my posts originate... once you begin using the site just a little too much.