Author Topic: NBA Rookies Get Quizzed on NBA Knowledge = Fultz not so sharp  (Read 3019 times)

Re: NBA Rookies Get Quizzed on NBA Knowledge = Fultz not so sharp
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 12:09:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Tatum came across as pretty bright.  I wonder how much, if at all, that factored into Ainge preferring him.  Brown is smart too.  Maybe not a coincidence.

Stevens needs bright kids that can listen .  Team ball and tactics require more than your average bear.

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 12:13:10 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
It's already established that fultz is especially dumb. He's the guy who copy pasted the tissot watch advertisement without replacing the templated parts:

Gets me every time lol.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 12:20:02 PM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
Trivia is one thing... but if you're in the league you should know there are 30 teams. That was by far the most embarrassing thing imo. Like... you just went through the draft.

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 12:20:29 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
i'd probably suck at that quiz if i took it when i was 18

having said that, this was a pretty easy quiz, ha
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 12:32:27 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Grading the questions:
1) How many teams are in the NBA?  -- This is an embarrassment if you don't know this at any level of basketball enthusiast (fan, amateur, professional).

2) Leader in steals for Lakers? Not a slam dunk due to the fact that a lot of talented players played in LA. I knew it was Kobe because I do a lot of basketball trivia, but it was particularly surprising that he wasn't even in Lonzo's guesses considering he grew up in LA and Kobe was the guy in LA his entire life. Kobe was a regular all defense team player.

3) Rick Carlisle Draft. This was unfair compared to the other questions. Carlisle was a below average player and drafted super late. If I weren't a Celtics fan, I'd never know this.

4) Leading scorer in the NBA? Inexcusable. Sorry.

5) First game of the NBA season? Not really historic trivia... this is more of a "did you pay attention to anything anyone told you since being drafted?"

6) Adam Silver becoming commissioner. Look, it's a dumb question. I wouldn't expect most people to confidently know the exact year, but at least be in the ball park: "I wasn't even born." ???

Easy to Hard
1) Leading Scorer
2) Number of Teams
3) Opening Date
4) Leading Laker in steals
5) Adam Silver's exact year
6) Rick Carlisle draft team

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 01:47:16 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Grading the questions:
1) How many teams are in the NBA?  -- This is an embarrassment if you don't know this at any level of basketball enthusiast (fan, amateur, professional).

2) Leader in steals for Lakers? Not a slam dunk due to the fact that a lot of talented players played in LA. I knew it was Kobe because I do a lot of basketball trivia, but it was particularly surprising that he wasn't even in Lonzo's guesses considering he grew up in LA and Kobe was the guy in LA his entire life. Kobe was a regular all defense team player.

3) Rick Carlisle Draft. This was unfair compared to the other questions. Carlisle was a below average player and drafted super late. If I weren't a Celtics fan, I'd never know this.

5) First game of the NBA season? Not really historic trivia... this is more of a "did you pay attention to anything anyone told you since being drafted?"

6) Adam Silver becoming commissioner. Look, it's a dumb question. I wouldn't expect most people to confidently know the exact year, but at least be in the ball park: "I wasn't even born." ???

Easy to Hard
1) Leading Scorer
2) Number of Teams
3) Opening Date
number of teams is way easier than all time leading scorer.  It isn't even close.  I think the opening date is also much easier than knowing the all time leading scorer.  Remember Kareem retired LONG before any of those kids were even born.  Malone was the last guy to really get anywhere even remotely close to him (still like 1400 points shy) and none of those guys are old enough to remember Malone playing.  I mean Kobe is 3rd and he is still like 4700 points away from Kareem.  You don't really talk much about the all time leader until people start inching up on his record.  Sure it was a big deal when Kobe passed Michael, but he still so far away from Kareem that he wasn't mentioned that much. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 02:21:02 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Grading the questions:

Easy to Hard
1) Leading Scorer
2) Number of Teams
3) Opening Date
number of teams is way easier than all time leading scorer.  It isn't even close.  I think the opening date is also much easier than knowing the all time leading scorer.  Remember Kareem retired LONG before any of those kids were even born.  Malone was the last guy to really get anywhere even remotely close to him (still like 1400 points shy) and none of those guys are old enough to remember Malone playing.  I mean Kobe is 3rd and he is still like 4700 points away from Kareem.  You don't really talk much about the all time leader until people start inching up on his record.  Sure it was a big deal when Kobe passed Michael, but he still so far away from Kareem that he wasn't mentioned that much.

I don't know, as someone born in the early 80's, I feel like every kid into baseball (most of us) knew since early elementary school that Hank Aaron was the all time home run king (at the time) and Roger Maris hit 61 home runs, despite those records being set long before we were all born.  I feel like this is similar.  Now the baseball records are a lot more romanticized in American culture, so sure I don't expect elementary kids to know the basketball equivalent, but I think this is something you'd pick up in junior high, definitely by high school if you're really into the sport. 

And it's not like the guys who didn't know said Jordan or Kobe.  They said Wilt, so they obviously have some knowledge of the historical greats.  It's not like their NBA knowledge only goes as far back as the 90's.

Most career points (and most points in a season/game) I thought those were the most basic of NBA history facts.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 02:28:24 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 02:44:29 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Grading the questions:

Easy to Hard
1) Leading Scorer
2) Number of Teams
3) Opening Date

I don't know, as someone born in the early 80's, I feel like every kid into baseball (most of us) knew since early elementary school that Hank Aaron was the all time home run king (at the time) and Roger Maris hit 61 home runs, despite those records being set long before we were all born.  I feel like this is similar.  Now the baseball records are a lot more romanticized in American culture, so sure I don't expect elementary kids to know the basketball equivalent, but I think this is something you'd pick up in junior high, definitely by high school if you're really into the sport. 

And it's not like the guys who didn't know said Jordan or Kobe.  They said Wilt, so they obviously have some knowledge of the historical greats.  It's not like their NBA knowledge only goes as far back as the 90's.

Most career points (and most points in a season/game) I thought those were the most basic of NBA history facts.
Baseball records are just different. I mean even if you knew Kareem was the career leader, I would bet maybe like 3 people in the world know exactly how many points he finished with without looking it up (I looked at the list earlier and don't even remember what it was).  Wilt makes sense as he is the greatest scorer in NBA history and has most of the game and season records.  He just didn't quite have the longevity.  He is also still 5th all time and 2nd all time in ppg. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 02:54:07 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Quote from: Moranis

Saying way easier is hyperbole. We don't have any data on the average fan's ability to regurgitate either piece of information.

My method of evaluating it was that I wasn't sure that the average fan could write down all 30 NBA teams on a piece of paper, so it must be a memorized number. But Kareem being #1 is a record that is such a huge record that people say may never be broken, that I find it hard to believe that there are many NBA fans that wouldn't know the answer to that question.

Baseball records are just different. I mean even if you knew Kareem was the career leader, I would bet maybe like 3 people in the world know exactly how many points he finished with without looking it up (I looked at the list earlier and don't even remember what it was).  Wilt makes sense as he is the greatest scorer in NBA history and has most of the game and season records.  He just didn't quite have the longevity.  He is also still 5th all time and 2nd all time in ppg.

You really like to talk in hyperbole. There are likely more than 3 people in the world that know the number given I am one of them. It's a super easy number to memorize, it never changes, and it comes up quite often in basketball trivia.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 03:01:33 PM by Erik »