Author Topic: Woj Bomb: Melo to OKC  (Read 12548 times)

Re: Woj Bomb: Melo to OKC
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2017, 04:41:41 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
You put all these stars together, and then the coach has to figure out how to make the team better. OKC is now in that situation, along with the Celtics and the Wolves. You know these teams can get better, but only at the sacrifice of individual stats (usage) of each of the stars.

For example, adding Melo to George and Westbrook is bound to drop the usage of each , and that will figure in fantasy drafts. Adding  Butler to Wiggins and Towns will do the same to each. And then there's Irving, Hayward and Horford. I doubt you'll see monster stat years from any of those guys compared to last year.

Now this has no bearing on team performance--with the right coaching, these teams will be improved. But it will affect fantasy drafts.

GS is an interesting case: KD and Curry worked without losing much usage, but Green, the other major player, is not a scorer. Houston has added Paul to Harden, but two stars won't make as much a difference as three.

Putting three stars together should improve a team, but their individual stats might take a hit.

« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2017, 05:58:21 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
this is a nothing move imo. I've long felt Anthony is overrated... because he is. this is just a name being moved, a name who's living off his college career. there is no substance to Anthony's game, for all the points he scores his team is worse off.

and he's a coach killer.

"Living off his college career"

This has to be a joke.

what has he done in the NBA?

he forced his way out of Denver(a good team at the time) to go to New York... just because it's "New York". and then when he gets there, he does nothing. and the argument is always "he had no teammates". well, ya know what? Pierce "had no teammates" either and took a bunch of scrubs to the eastern conference finals. sure the east was weak then... just like it was during melo's tenure so how many excuses are we going to make for the guy?

it seems like most people still tootin the melo horn are the ones that claimed long ago that he was going to be great are the ones that are still holding onto their prediction, just because they don't want to be proven wrong. where if they saw things for what they really are they would see he's done nothing in his career except score some points. reality is if you gave an average NBA player the hype and freedom to do whatever he wants, they'd likely be on par with Melo.
A scoring title
5 seasons of more than 25 ppg
Never scored less than 20 a game for is entire career
Led average Nuggets team to WCF
Led every team he's been on to playoffs up until 3 years ago despite his 2 best teammates in that span being Amare Stoudemire and an old ass AI
Led Knicks to first playoff series win in well over a decade
Led Knicks to 54 wins

He's not Lebron James but he's not coasting off his reputation from college. Saying that is patently absurd.

Agreed. Melo has taken so much abuse lately that if anything I think he's now underrated.

« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2017, 07:42:55 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
this is a nothing move imo. I've long felt Anthony is overrated... because he is. this is just a name being moved, a name who's living off his college career. there is no substance to Anthony's game, for all the points he scores his team is worse off.

and he's a coach killer.

This has to be a joke.

he forced his way out of Denver(a good team at the time) to go to New York... just because it's "New York". and then when he gets there, he does nothing. and the argument is always "he had no teammates". well, ya know what? Pierce "had no teammates" either and took a bunch of scrubs to the eastern conference finals. sure the east was weak then... just like it was during melo's tenure so how many excuses are we going to make for the guy?

it seems like most people still tootin the melo horn are the ones that claimed long ago that he was going to be great are the ones that are still holding onto their prediction, just because they don't want to be proven wrong. where if they saw things for what they really are they would see he's done nothing in his career except score some points. reality is if you gave an average NBA player the hype and freedom to do whatever he wants, they'd likely be on par with Melo.
A scoring title
Led every team he's been on to playoffs up until 3 years ago despite his 2 best teammates in that span being Amare Stoudemire and an old ass AI
Led Knicks to 54 wins

He's not Lebron James but he's not coasting off his reputation from college. Saying that is patently absurd.

Agreed. Melo has taken so much abuse lately that if anything I think he's now underrated.

I also think this can be a good move for the Thunder, I mean for the package they gave up to get both George and Melo is simply amazing, almost no 1st rounders/high 1st are included (correct me if i am wrong), for 2 disgruntled star players..

if anything I feel like next year Melo is going to have a good year, just for being ranked 64 by ESPN, he has a lot to prove that he may not be top 10 player anymore but 64?

And I also feel like if they meet the Rockets next year in the playoffs, it'll be quite interesting

« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2017, 07:59:58 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
still not impressed. scoring titles don't mean anything.

« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2017, 08:39:33 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
still not impressed. scoring titles don't mean anything.
Ridiculous.

The last 10 scoring title winners:
Westbrook
Curry
Durant
Anthony
Wade
James
Bryant
Iverson
McGrady
O'Neal

but even if we throw out a scoring title... which would be absurd. And we also throw out his scoring 20 a game every year of his career, or his scoring over 25 multiple times... again... absurd.

How about carrying the Knicks to 54 wins? How about 6 all-nba teams? How about leading Denver to seasons of 49, 50, 54 and 53 wins?

How about 10 all star games?

How about leading New York to its first playoff series win in over a decade?

What about leading a  very average Nuggets team past the Chris Paul led Hornets and the Dirk led Mavs to reach the Western conference finals?

If you wanna say Melo is overrated, then fine. Go for it. You might be right.

Dont be a knucklehead and claim its because of what he did at Syracuse. Thats just dumb and makes you look bad.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2017, 02:23:48 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
You put all these stars together, and then the coach has to figure out how to make the team better. OKC is now in that situation, along with the Celtics and the Wolves. You know these teams can get better, but only at the sacrifice of individual stats (usage) of each of the stars.

For example, adding Melo to George and Westbrook is bound to drop the usage of each , and that will figure in fantasy drafts. Adding  Butler to Wiggins and Towns will do the same to each. And then there's Irving, Hayward and Horford. I doubt you'll see monster stat years from any of those guys compared to last year.

Now this has no bearing on team performance--with the right coaching, these teams will be improved. But it will affect fantasy drafts.

GS is an interesting case: KD and Curry worked without losing much usage, but Green, the other major player, is not a scorer. Houston has added Paul to Harden, but two stars won't make as much a difference as three.

Putting three stars together should improve a team, but their individual stats might take a hit.
what happens if wade goes to okc and is promised starting role

Record breaking low usage for most of them?

« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2017, 02:57:13 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

what happens if wade goes to okc and is promised starting role

Record breaking low usage for most of them?
Why would OKC start Wade over Roberson?

The last thing they need is yet another ball dominant, non spot up shooter who’s defense is only getting worse next to RW, PG13, and Melo. Roberson’s elite defense is critical for that team.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2017, 06:21:19 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

and he's a coach killer.

This has to be a joke.

A scoring title
Led Knicks to 54 wins

I also think this can be a good move for the Thunder, I mean for the package they gave up to get both George and Melo is simply amazing, almost no 1st rounders/high 1st are included (correct me if i am wrong), for 2 disgruntled star players..

Only draft pick involved in either trade this summer was the second rounder they got from Chicago in the Cameron Payne trade. It's certain to be a high second rounder, but eh. I don't think OKC is losing sleep over potentially having to rebuild next summer and not having that Chicago pick in their draft coffers. They're likely not finding a franchise cornerstone that late in the draft.