Author Topic: 2nd Round Game 6 Celtics @ Cavs 5/16 8:00 PM ESPN, CSN HD  (Read 93248 times)

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 

Boston Celtics (3-2) at Cleveland Cavaliers (2-3)
Round 2 Game 6
Friday, May 16
8:00 PM ET
ESPN, CSN HD 
Quicken Loans Arena 

Probable Starting Matchups 
Point Guard
  vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Delonte West

Shooting Guard
    vs 
Ray Allen vs Wally Szczerbiak

Small Forward
  vs 
Paul Pierce vs LeBron James

Power Forward 
  vs 
Kevin Garnett vs Ben Wallace 

Center

vs   
Kendrick Perkins vs Zydrunas Ilgauskas 

Key off the Bench
  vs 
Injuries
  Scott Pollard, Ankle, out

Eric Snow, ankle, out
 Daniel Gibson, shoulder, out

Key Matchups
  vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Delonte West
In game 5, Rondo played circles around Delonte and was a big reason for the Celtics win.  They will need him to come out just as aggressively in this game and Doc should stick with Rondo for most of the game. 

vs 
Paul Pierce vs LeBron James
LeBron broke out in the first half in game 5 for 23 but scored just 12 in the second half.  The Celtics did a good job of defending him while still not ignoring his teammates.  The Celtics will need to try to keep LeBron from taking over the game but also they will need to pay attention to his teammates who have proven that they also can beat them.  Expect to see Pierce on LeBron with single coverage at times and at other times, they may double him, depending who is hot.

Honorable Mention
Ray Allen vs Wally Szczerbiak
Ray still hasn't broken out of his shooting slump but has done other things to help the team such as that rebound late in game 5 to preserve the win.  He also did a better job of defending Wally and keeping him from getting his shot off.  It would be nice to see Ray go off offensively to make Wally have to expend some energy on defense.  We will need points from Ray to pull this one out on the road. 

Keys to the Game
Play 48 minutes  The Celtics have stumbled out of the gate in the last couple of games.  At home they were able to get back into it and pull away, but on the road, they haven't been able to overcome the pit that they found themselves in.  Also, the Celtics have stumbled in the 4th quarter, allowing the Cavs to get back in games.    They need to come out strong and play aggressively for 48 minutes if they want to win this. 

Rebound  When the Celtics out rebound the Cavs, they win.  It is as simple as that.  Because rebounding is an indication of effort, When the Celtics are putting out the effort they need to win, they will also be going after the rebounds.  They can not allow the Cavs to get 2nd and 3rd chance baskets if they want to win this. 

Ball Movement  When the Celtics move the ball and find the open man, their offense is hard to stop.  When they bog down with each player looking for his shot, then the offense literally stops and they can't score.  The way to beat the Cavs defense is to move the ball as they did in the 3rd quarter of game 5.  Rondo did an excellent job of keeping the ball moving and setting up the offense in game 5 and he needs to continue to play that way in this game. 

Be Aggressive  The Celtics can't settle for quick jumpers.  They have to be aggressive and take the ball to the hoop to either get a high percentage shot or to draw the foul.  The Cavs have been shooting twice as many free throws as the Celtics and it is hard to win in that situation.  The Celtics need to be more aggressive on offense and get the Cavs in foul trouble.  They also have to be aggressive in going after loose balls and rebounds.  In games 3 and 4, it seemed as though the Celtics were sluggish and letting the Cavs beat them to loose balls and rebounds.  They have to be more aggressive in this one if they want to win this. 

Defense  At home, the Celtics play a suffocating team defense but on the road, they have allowed the Cavs to shoot close to 50% and the defense hasn't been anywhere to be seen on the road.  The Celtics have to focus and play the same kind of defense on the road as they do at home. 

X-Factor
Focus and Intensity 
The Celtics need to maintain their focus on both ends of the court to close this series out here.  They need to keep their defensive focus to get stops and they have to keep their offensive focus to move the ball and find the open man.  They also have to come out with intensity and play with intensity throughout the game.  If they lose focus, they will have to play a game 7 while the Pistons are resting up.   

Re: 2nd Round Game 6 Celtics @ Cavs 5/16 8:00 PM ESPN, CSN HD
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 03:37:59 PM »

Offline Las Vegas Asian

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
Tonights officials are Dick Bavetta, Joe DeRosa, and Brian Forte. Last time we saw these three was the ATL series in Boston, all blowouts. Derosa in Game 2 and Dickie B/Forte in Game 5. I'm trying to spin some ol' Vegas superstitious correlations but sadly the oddsmakers here have us as 2.5pt underdogs. Sir Charles can you spot me a dime?  ;)

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 04:01:02 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Tonights officials are Dick Bavetta, Joe DeRosa, and Brian Forte. Last time we saw these three was the ATL series in Boston, all blowouts. Derosa in Game 2 and Dickie B/Forte in Game 5. I'm trying to spin some ol' Vegas superstitious correlations but sadly the oddsmakers here have us as 2.5pt underdogs. Sir Charles can you spot me a dime?  ;)

Not to jinx your spin, but isn't Bavetta known as a "homer" ref (not specifically biased, but always seems to call things the home team's way)?  Correct me if I'm wrong - I do know he made that awful Larry Johnson 4-pt play call that he still admits keeps him up some nights.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 06:08:52 PM »

Offline Las Vegas Asian

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6

Not to jinx your spin, but isn't Bavetta known as a "homer" ref (not specifically biased, but always seems to call things the home team's way)?  Correct me if I'm wrong - I do know he made that awful Larry Johnson 4-pt play call that he still admits keeps him up some nights.

Most definitely we have a uphill fight on our hands official wise. Bavetta & DeRosa are a combined 100-55 Home Team W/L record this year on games they officiate. Forte has been a more unbiased 28-21. I'm sure hoping that we end the series tonight, but I won't be surprised if Stern's man-crush on LBJ & CLE's home cooking doesn't force a Game 7.  :'(

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 06:37:04 PM »

Offline LusoCeltic

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 5
Feeling pretty confident about tonite, it's about time we win one on the road. Wish I could watch the game though...

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 07:36:22 PM »

Offline basicballer

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
This one is going to be a doozey...GO CELTICS!!

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 07:37:54 PM »

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 191
They have no Boobie tonight, but let's not sleep on Damon Jones. He has no conscience and could go off.

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 07:38:20 PM »

Offline Tenacious D

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 232
Let's go! Intensity from the gate.
"Celtics Bring Structure And Discipline To A Chaotic World"

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 07:43:12 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
rondo made big buckets last game and i hope he continues it....if he is open he needs to shot those 3's but only if he has a good look at it..

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 08:05:25 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Getting stoked now...got a glass of Wild Turkey, sixer of Breckenridge Vanilla Porter waiting, HD cranked, and 2 1/2 hours away from making the ECF for the 2nd time in my adult life...here we go...

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 08:06:47 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Thank god this is on CSN tonight.

I can't stand listening to that lady on ESPN.

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 08:10:40 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
That's what you want to see.  West having trouble starting the offense. 

It will force Cleveland to have Lebron do it.

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 08:10:49 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Thank god this is on CSN tonight.

I can't stand listening to that lady on ESPN.

Here, here ... I was pleasantly surprised to see it on Comcast ... I thought they were through for the season. Go Celts!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 08:11:15 PM »

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 191
Listening on WEEI even though it's ahead of the TV.

I can't take it anymore.

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 08:11:25 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
what a circus the Cleveland pre-game show is - though i'm ashamed to say that the Celtics is about the same thing these days.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce