Author Topic: First Round Game 6 Boston Celtics at Atlanta Hawks 5/2/08 8:00 PM (ESPN, CSN)  (Read 88824 times)

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 

Boston Celtics (3-2) at Atlanta Hawks (2-3) 
Friday, May 2
8:00 PM ET
Round 1, Game #6, Away Game #3
ESPN, CSN HD
Philips Arena

Probable Starters

Rajon Rondo PPG 12.6 RPG 4.20 APG 8.0 EFF + 19.60
Ray Allen PPG 17.2 RPG 3.00 APG 3.6 EFF + 16.00 
Paul Pierce PPG 17.4 RPG 4.60 APG 4.8 EFF + 17.40
Kevin Garnett PPG 21.4 RPG 8.80 APG 3.6 EFF + 24.80
 Kendrick Perkins PPG 5.8 RPG 6.00 APG 0.4 EFF + 10.80

Off the Bench
Eddie House, James Posey,  Leon Powe, Big Baby Davis,  Tony Allen,  PJ Brown, Sam Cassell,  Brian Scalabrine, Gabe Pruitt

Probable Starters

Mike Bibby PPG 10.6 RPG 2.40 APG 2.6 EFF + 6.60
Joe Johnson PPG 21.8 RPG 4.00 APG 4.4 EFF + 18.40
Marvin Williams PPG 11.0 RPG 3.40 APG 0.6 EFF + 8.40
Josh Smith PPG 18.4 RPG 7.00 APG 3.2 EFF + 21.80
Al Horford PPG 12.8 RPG 11.20 APG 3.6 EFF + 20.60

Off the Bench:
Josh Childress, Zaza Pachulia, Salim Stoudamire, Mario West, Jeremy Richardson, Solomon Jones, Acie Law

Key Matchups

Rajon Rondo  vs  Mike Bibby 
Rondo outplayed Bibby once again in game 5 in Boston.  It remains to be seen if he can do it again in Atlanta.    Rondo's ability to throw Bibby off his game is key to every other area of this game. 

vs 
Kevin Garnett  vs  Josh Smith
KG got back to his dominant defense in game 5 and will need to do the same in game 6 for the Celtics to win.  He will need to make Smith work on the defensive end while bothering his every shot on the offensive end. 

Honorable Mention
Ray Allen vs Joe Johnson
When the Celtics play team defense and they help Ray on Joe, we have seen that they can effectively shut him down.  They are going to have to play that kind of team defense in game 6 as Ray can't guard him one on one.  Shutting Johnson down is key to a game 6 win.

Keys to the Game
Rebounding  When the celtics out rebound the Hawks they win and when they don't, they lose.   Much of rebounding is effort and desire and when both of those are there, they get the rebounds and they out play the Hawks

Defense   The Celtics can't try to outscore the Hawks because they found out in games 3 and 4 that doesn't work.  They have to play the tough defense that they played in games 1,2 and 5 in order to win.  No defense = no win. 

Be Aggressive  The Celtics need to continue to be aggressive in taking the ball to the basket and in diving for loose balls and crashing the boards.   By being more aggressive and driving to the hoop rather than settling for quick jumpers, they will either get a high percentage shot or draw the foul and getting the Hawks into foul trouble pays dividends because they have a limited bench. 

X-Factor
Bench Play
The Celtics bench has come through in a big way in their three wins and was a non factor in the two losses.  The Celtics will need their bench to produce in this game if they want to end the series here. 

C's Vs. Hawks- Game 6
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 07:20:38 PM »

Offline JAM

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
After what the Celtics do to the Hawks tomorrow night, Atlanta will pine for General Sherman.

The time has come for the Celtics to advance to the 2nd round, and it's gonna be ugly for the Hawks.

Re: C's Vs. Hawks- Game 6
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 07:29:39 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
After what the Celtics do to the Hawks tomorrow night, Atlanta will pine for General Sherman.

The time has come for the Celtics to advance to the 2nd round, and it's gonna be ugly for the Hawks.

Here's hoping you're right.  Sounds pleasant enough to me  ;D

Go green!

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
all about the D....!!!

*cracks 24oz*

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Let's end this series tonight, put these Hawks to rest (or nest, if you prefer) already.

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I'll be the first to say it, the reffing sucks.

Questionable calls on Pierce, KG and Rondo. 6-0 ft edge for Atlanta.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
They did well getting Pierce off early but they're starting to let the pace slip away a bit. This game is looking a lot closer to the two Atlanta games than the three in Boston right now. Crowd are into it, Hawks are into it, and they're getting the types of shots they want to get.

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
all about the D....!!!

*cracks 24oz*

24?  Where's the 40??
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 191
Rondo can get all kinds of shots tonight and he has to look for them.

(Cracks Smuttynose IPA.)

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Nice flop Josh, get up and play ball.

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
i like how we playin....

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 191
Posey in the game. I'd like him to get 25 minutes tonight.

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
all about the D....!!!

*cracks 24oz*

24?  Where's the 40??

chillin on ice in my lucky bucket

nice one sammy..!

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
If they keep looking for Pierce throughout the game they're gonna get an easy W. 
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Nice flop Josh, get up and play ball.

TP.

And since the announcers and Woodson didn't get it, Horford got called for the foul cause he hit Garnett in the arm. If your arm is between the other players arm its usually a foul.