Author Topic: Celtics (11-9) at Clippers (17-6) Game #21 2/5/21  (Read 37324 times)

Re: Celtics (11-9) at Clippers (17-6) Game #21 2/5/21
« Reply #555 on: February 06, 2021, 11:02:23 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I can't help but think back to the last two seasons. Stevens would never have done what he did last night with the rotations.

The "bench guys" can be counted on to play hard efficient defense and last night? They scored points too.

Thompson had a good game again.
Grant did a good job on Leonard and got rid of his shooting yips.
Edwards had his dream break out game with three straight fouls shots with the game on the line.
Semi was his usual self which this season has been solid.
Robert was good and PP is working his way back in.

If two of these guys can have a "good game" night in and night out?
The team should start to win more.

Thanks to all posters who stayed up and brought in this win. My alarm went off this morning, I looked at the score and I scared the neighbors.

« Reply #556 on: February 06, 2021, 11:08:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1551
Boston won yet another game against a great team without Jaylen Brown.  At some point will this board finally catch up to the idea that the only person that truly matters is Tatum.  He is the guy everyone else is just filler.

I hope it is a joke ! We may not forget that we missed our omega player and our defensive dog, but so did they with George and Beverley. It must relativise our win. Tatum almost lost two balls in the last 2 mns with a 3 point missed. Still question about his clutchitude. Whatever if we win it all at one time it will be because of our duo
Of course it isn't a joke.  I've been saying it for years.  In fact since Tatum joined the team, Boston is well below .500 without him and actually wins a greater rate when Brown misses games and it is around 40 games missed by Brown (so a decent sample size).  Last year, Brown missed 15 games and Boston went 10-5, the exact same win percentage in the games he played while Boston was 2-4 without Tatum and 2-3 without Tatum thus far this year.  Entering tonight, Boston is 13.1 points per 100 possessions better with Tatum on the floor than with him off and just 2.3 better with Brown than without him.  And it doesn't matter who Tatum plays with, the results are the same when you hit a big enough sample size no matter what 4 you put on the floor with him.  Tatum is the person that drives Boston's success and he has driven it since basically the first game he played.  No one else really matters to that discussion as the team wins at around the same rate, if not better, when basically any other player misses games.  Just not the case with Tatum.

Tatum is the most important piece on the team, but to lump Jaylen in with all of the other guys on the team is ridiculous. Tatum isn’t winning in the playoffs without Jaylen.
How do you know?  Brown has missed 2 playoff games in his career (one of them was his rookie year so can't put any real stock in that).  Boston won both of them.  Without Brown in the regular season last year, Boston went 4-3 against playoff teams and is 1-0 this year (I'm going to assume LA makes the playoffs). 

The simple reality is Boston wins games at a higher percentage when Brown doesn't play then when Brown does play since Tatum joined the team.  That is a fact.  It is basically a fact for every player that isn't Tatum. 

Brown is a great player, but he just doesn't meaningfully impact the only thing that really matters at the end of the day and that is wins and losses.  He never has.  Maybe he will someday, maybe even soon, but thus far in his career he just doesn't move the needle.

omg come on.  The sample size you are listing is so small.  It feels like you are missing the forest for the trees with your take on Brown.

lol.  I know you have some really good posts sometimes, but the total distain that you have for Brown is just too much.  I don't get it.  We have two great young players, and we need BOTH of them.
Since the start of the 17-18 season, Boston is now 27-9 without Brown during the regular season. 

without / with
17-18 season - 8-4 / 47-23
18-19 season - 8-0 / 41-33
19-20 season - 10-5 / 38-19
20-21 season - 1-0 / 11-9

So 27-9 without Brown or 75% and 137-84 with Brown or 61.99%

I get 36 games isn't a huge sample size, but it isn't that small either.  And that is just with removing Brown and not replacing him with anyone (I was making this exact argument pretty consistently Irving's last year and low and behold remove Irving for a lesser player in Walker and Boston magically became a lot better).  Last year in particular was a pretty good mix of home and away, good and bad, etc. for games played without Brown.  And some of the games without Brown were also without Tatum (they both missed the last game in the bubble against Washington last year, a Boston loss - though the C's did beat Orlando last year without either).

And I don't have disdain for Brown, I just recognize he isn't that important to the team's ultimate success.  I do think he could be replaced and Boston wouldn't miss a beat because Boston doesn't miss a beat in the random games he misses.  He is a great fit next to Tatum, so I wouldn't just move on from him for no reason, but I was pushing for a Harden trade pretty hard because of this fact.  Harden would have elevated Boston into the next tier.  Something Brown just can't do.   And there are a lot of great players, even 2-way ones, that are more suited for complimentary roles.  I think you could reasonably argue that describes Anthony Davis.  Davis is obviously a great player, but he has been a disappointment from the team win standpoint, except with James.  His teams just seemed to consistently underperform (and it isn't like they were a lot worse without him the year after he left).  Now Davis was still youngish, so maybe he would have eventually elevated into that class or maybe he never would have.  The same obviously holds for Brown, but at some point game after game missed by Brown and yet the team keeps right on winning no longer becomes a coincidence and is in fact a pattern.

Harden wasn’t a good trade for JB because of the short-term of his contract and his age. JB is a long term investment. Plus he’s a home grown talent with sentimental value for fans. There’s an emotional component to these proposed trades that get ignored in the trade machines.
fair point, but I want to win championships and Harden absolutely would have made that realistically possible over the next couple of seasons.  I just don't think a Tatum/Brown duo will be good enough when they reach full potential to get there and I don't see many opportunities to add to them going forward given Boston really doesn't have many high value tradeable assets.  The window is basically now without a miraculous talent falling to Boston late in the draft (like a Jimmy Butler) and this team just isn't good enough right now to win a championship.

I'd much rather win without a diva like Harden also, but I just don't think that is possibly and I'd rather just win even if it means we need a diva like Harden to do it.  Lots of fans will cut off their nose to spite their face for reasons unrelated to the actual product on the floor.  I am not one of those fans. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #557 on: February 06, 2021, 11:11:17 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
Boston won yet another game against a great team without Jaylen Brown.  At some point will this board finally catch up to the idea that the only person that truly matters is Tatum.  He is the guy everyone else is just filler.

I hope it is a joke ! We may not forget that we missed our omega player and our defensive dog, but so did they with George and Beverley. It must relativise our win. Tatum almost lost two balls in the last 2 mns with a 3 point missed. Still question about his clutchitude. Whatever if we win it all at one time it will be because of our duo
Of course it isn't a joke.  I've been saying it for years.  In fact since Tatum joined the team, Boston is well below .500 without him and actually wins a greater rate when Brown misses games and it is around 40 games missed by Brown (so a decent sample size).  Last year, Brown missed 15 games and Boston went 10-5, the exact same win percentage in the games he played while Boston was 2-4 without Tatum and 2-3 without Tatum thus far this year.  Entering tonight, Boston is 13.1 points per 100 possessions better with Tatum on the floor than with him off and just 2.3 better with Brown than without him.  And it doesn't matter who Tatum plays with, the results are the same when you hit a big enough sample size no matter what 4 you put on the floor with him.  Tatum is the person that drives Boston's success and he has driven it since basically the first game he played.  No one else really matters to that discussion as the team wins at around the same rate, if not better, when basically any other player misses games.  Just not the case with Tatum.

Tatum is the most important piece on the team, but to lump Jaylen in with all of the other guys on the team is ridiculous. Tatum isn’t winning in the playoffs without Jaylen.
How do you know?  Brown has missed 2 playoff games in his career (one of them was his rookie year so can't put any real stock in that).  Boston won both of them.  Without Brown in the regular season last year, Boston went 4-3 against playoff teams and is 1-0 this year (I'm going to assume LA makes the playoffs). 

The simple reality is Boston wins games at a higher percentage when Brown doesn't play then when Brown does play since Tatum joined the team.  That is a fact.  It is basically a fact for every player that isn't Tatum. 

Brown is a great player, but he just doesn't meaningfully impact the only thing that really matters at the end of the day and that is wins and losses.  He never has.  Maybe he will someday, maybe even soon, but thus far in his career he just doesn't move the needle.

omg come on.  The sample size you are listing is so small.  It feels like you are missing the forest for the trees with your take on Brown.

lol.  I know you have some really good posts sometimes, but the total distain that you have for Brown is just too much.  I don't get it.  We have two great young players, and we need BOTH of them.
Since the start of the 17-18 season, Boston is now 27-9 without Brown during the regular season. 

without / with

I get 36 games isn't a huge sample size, but it isn't that small either.  And that is just with removing Brown and not replacing him with anyone (I was making this exact argument pretty consistently Irving's last year and low and behold remove Irving for a lesser player in Walker and Boston magically became a lot better).  Last year in particular was a pretty good mix of home and away, good and bad, etc. for games played without Brown.  And some of the games without Brown were also without Tatum (they both missed the last game in the bubble against Washington last year, a Boston loss - though the C's did beat Orlando last year without either).

And I don't have disdain for Brown, I just recognize he isn't that important to the team's ultimate success.  I do think he could be replaced and Boston wouldn't miss a beat because Boston doesn't miss a beat in the random games he misses.  He is a great fit next to Tatum, so I wouldn't just move on from him for no reason, but I was pushing for a Harden trade pretty hard because of this fact.  Harden would have elevated Boston into the next tier.  Something Brown just can't do.   And there are a lot of great players, even 2-way ones, that are more suited for complimentary roles.  I think you could reasonably argue that describes Anthony Davis.  Davis is obviously a great player, but he has been a disappointment from the team win standpoint, except with James.  His teams just seemed to consistently underperform (and it isn't like they were a lot worse without him the year after he left).  Now Davis was still youngish, so maybe he would have eventually elevated into that class or maybe he never would have.  The same obviously holds for Brown, but at some point game after game missed by Brown and yet the team keeps right on winning no longer becomes a coincidence and is in fact a pattern.

Harden wasn’t a good trade for JB because of the short-term of his contract and his age. JB is a long term investment. Plus he’s a home grown talent with sentimental value for fans. There’s an emotional component to these proposed trades that get ignored in the trade machines.
fair point, but I want to win championships and Harden absolutely would have made that realistically possible over the next couple of seasons.  I just don't think a Tatum/Brown duo will be good enough when they reach full potential to get there and I don't see many opportunities to add to them going forward given Boston really doesn't have many high value tradeable assets.  The window is basically now without a miraculous talent falling to Boston late in the draft (like a Jimmy Butler) and this team just isn't good enough right now to win a championship.

I'd much rather win without a diva like Harden also, but I just don't think that is possibly and I'd rather just win even if it means we need a diva like Harden to do it.  Lots of fans will cut off their nose to spite their face for reasons unrelated to the actual product on the floor.  I am not one of those fans.

In one post you say that Brown interrupts Tatum's flow on offense and in another you say want to trade Brown for Harden. Wouldn't Harden totally destroy Tatum's flow?

« Reply #558 on: February 06, 2021, 11:30:07 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

without / with

In one post you say that Brown interrupts Tatum's flow on offense and in another you say want to trade Brown for Harden. Wouldn't Harden totally destroy Tatum's flow?
um, I never said Brown interrupts Tatum's flow on offense.  Never have made that argument at any point because I don't believe it is true.  In fact, I pretty clearly said Brown was a great fit next to Tatum so I wouldn't just move on from him to move on, but I'd be fine moving on from Brown for someone like Harden. 

« Reply #559 on: February 06, 2021, 11:35:07 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 1 hour ago

Tristan Thompson is averaging 13.7 points and 8.3 rebounds on C's road trip while shooting 75 percent from the field.

Yes, nice to see Thompson playing more like what I think many, including me, expected of him.  It does not seem to me that it is a stretch to think he can maintain this level.  He seems to be playing well within himself while achieving this production.  Great to see.  We really need this.

And what is with this debate about Jaylen Brown?  Jaylen has emerged as an all-star caliber player.  That is great.  This is not diminished just because Tatum is even better.  Tatum is emerging as a standout even among all-stars, a top 10 player in the league (this is a rough estimate, not a proclamation), a true #1 on a very good team.

Brown is a very good #2 on a good team (more Pippen than Jordan).  Nothing wrong with that.  You need 2 or 3 all-stars if you want to make the final 4 or final 2.  I do not buy that Brown is an interchangeable part, unless the other part he is interchanged with is also an all-star caliber player.   That is my take anyway from watching the games.  Stats have to be put in context.  They never tell the whole story.

That said, I am going to quote some stats, 26.4 pts (13th in the league) in 33 min, 51.8% FG%, 42.4 3P%, 4.4 rebs, 3.6 Assts.  OK, I will grant you that 76.3 FT% is a little soft, this should be higher.  And all this while providing high level multi-position defense, good teammate, hard worker, unselfish.  What more is it exactly that you want him to do?

« Reply #560 on: February 06, 2021, 11:37:48 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
When will Tatum have is best period normaly ? Beetwin 26-32 ? How old will be JB then ;28-34 ? And Harden; 35-39 ? And we probably loos him in one and half year whatever...

I think like many that Harden wasn't an enough big talent upgrade to almost garantee a title this year or next to sacifice our long term future (and I don't even talk about implosion possibilty in a team which was already marked by the Kirie contending style), when Tatum will be, logically a top 3 player in the league adn Brown a top 15 or even 10... And also that I am very happy to have a one alpha who is a good defensor, not a guy who need always the ball in his hand and is a serious, athletic, in good shape and work ethic, good mentality guy.
Really I don't know how some can continue to regret this trade. What is the defensive bilan of the nets since he arrived ? Where there always such a bad defensive team that won it all ?

Thz good news is we will know who was right : Harden joined a most experimented and talented (at this point) team in Brooklyn and we will keep JB and JT as a duo for long. So in two years we willsee if Nets has made a new dinasty or if they didn't do better than us and that we still have Brown next to Tatum to build our dinasty.

« Reply #561 on: February 06, 2021, 11:41:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 1 hour ago

Tristan Thompson is averaging 13.7 points and 8.3 rebounds on C's road trip while shooting 75 percent from the field.

Yes, nice to see Thompson playing more like what I think many, including me, expected of him.  It does not seem to me that it is a stretch to think he can maintain this level.  He seems to be playing well within himself while achieving this production.  Great to see.  We really need this.
He won't.  That is Thompson.  Goes through great stretches, but then always reverts back.  It is who he has been since he entered the league.  He just isn't very consistent. 

« Reply #562 on: February 06, 2021, 11:51:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
When will Tatum have is best period normaly ? Beetwin 26-32 ? How old will be JB then ;28-34 ? And Harden; 35-39 ? And we probably loos him in one and half year whatever...

I think like many that Harden wasn't an enough big talent upgrade to almost garantee a title this year or next to sacifice our long term future (and I don't even talk about implosion possibilty in a team which was already marked by the Kirie contending style), when Tatum will be, logically a top 3 player in the league adn Brown a top 15 or even 10... And also that I am very happy to have a one alpha who is a good defensor, not a guy who need always the ball in his hand and is a serious, athletic, in good shape and work ethic, good mentality guy.
Really I don't know how some can continue to regret this trade. What is the defensive bilan of the nets since he arrived ? Where there always such a bad defensive team that won it all ?

Thz good news is we will know who was right : Harden joined a most experimented and talented (at this point) team in Brooklyn and we will keep JB and JT as a duo for long. So in two years we willsee if Nets has made a new dinasty or if they didn't do better than us and that we still have Brown next to Tatum to build our dinasty.
The Nets weren't a good defensive team to begin with but are 7-3 in Harden's 10 games (1-1 in games without Durant) and 7-7 in the games Harden hasn't played for them on the season (that obviously includes Irving's hiatus). 

The Harden trade was about winning a title in the next couple of seasons and in that I think Boston would have had a real shot.  They have basically no shot of winning a title in the next 2 years now.  3 years from now Tatum and Brown will be in their prime, but what else is the team going to have.  An "ancient" Walker, Smart 10 years in and on the downside, etc.  I mean is Boston going to be relying on Robert Williams and Payton Pritchard to be a legit 3rd and 4th option or some other late 1st round pick landing.  That isn't a great place to be.  That is what the Harden trade was about elevating Boston into true contender status.  And it wouldn't have just made Boston better, but also would have kept a team like Brooklyn from being unbeatable (for Boston).  Boston just isn't in Brooklyn or Milwaukee's class right now, let alone the handful of western teams that have real shots at winning a title over the next couple of seasons.  Heck I'm not even sure Boston is in Philadelphia's class with the way Doc has them playing and with Embiid looking like the MVP of the league thus far.  All of that would have changed with Harden. 

« Reply #563 on: February 06, 2021, 12:04:07 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
You affirm we have no chance to win it this year and I ask to wait to affirm that. We still have room (cap and players) to make one or two moves and complete our team. Tatum AND Brown progress very quickly and there is no better place to progress than in PO. We have a better succedd last years than all the teams you speak about. Nets are incredibly talented, but oncedibly weak in defense and a worst bench than us without assets... Bucks a doubting team and leader in PO. Philly seem better but we always beat them. And putting the Doc as the game changer in PO isn't also a very good argue based on reality.
You say our team won't improve in the next year because Walker will regress... But also you can imagine that we use the money on him into another player at one time. Why are you sure Smart will regress at 28 ? Why one or two from Grant, Robert, Romeo, Payton or Aaron won't turn in a good role payer, even a titulary (I mean Grant and Aaron have qualities that would fit well in 4th or 5 option if everything thurn good...). Why no FA in ring chasing would like to join the best young duo in the league ?

Saying that we are in a better place to win it now than in few years isn't sustainable, like it is not to say Jaylen is just a filler. Again future will tell who is true. If Nets are out in second round this year , taking 130 points by match ag Philly and we go in final, I guess we already know the truth, many years before Jays "apogée "

« Reply #564 on: February 06, 2021, 12:12:18 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I won't dive into the Jaylen nonsense but the role players played exceptionally well last night.  Celtics don't win that game if guys like Pritchard, Timelord, & Carsen didn't step up.   It was really a team effort.  Kemba was big down the stretch.  Obviously, the spotlight's on Tatum but that was a tried & true team win last night.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #565 on: February 06, 2021, 01:23:11 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
The bench surprised me the most. Tatum was dominant and Kemba’s starting to look healthy but I did not predict:
- carsen to step up
- grant to hit threes and free throws
- Timelord with mid range j’s

Outside of that, some other commendable stuff:
- Ojeleye kept missing but those were some great shots he took
- Tristan Thompson continues his good play

And some non-commendable stuff
- bad game from Theis. I’m glad CBS didn’t go back to him
- we’ve got to stop playing Teague! I’m glad Pritchard is back. Hopefully he can take all of teagues minutes soon
- LilRip

« Reply #566 on: February 06, 2021, 01:32:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The bench surprised me the most. Tatum was dominant and Kemba’s starting to look healthy but I did not predict:
- carsen to step up

- we’ve got to stop playing Teague! I’m glad Pritchard is back. Hopefully he can take all of teagues minutes soon

Brad likely would have if he wasn't knicked up. Its usually the only way

Theis needs to be strictly an energy big off the bench.  Not someone to finish the game at center

I have little confidence in Theis in the 4th quarter  (and also starting the game as a 5)

« Reply #567 on: February 06, 2021, 01:37:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
- carsen to step up

I really hope there is a deadline for Teague to prove what he can do

At some point, enough is enough.   

Right now I would give majority mins to Walker,  PP and Edwards
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 01:44:08 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #568 on: February 06, 2021, 01:47:24 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
- carsen to step up

Once Smart returns I suspect Teague will get few minutes, behind Kemba, Smart and Pritchard.

« Reply #569 on: February 06, 2021, 02:03:59 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
- carsen to step up

Once Smart returns I suspect Teague will get few minutes, behind Kemba, Smart and Pritchard.

Agree. It should work itself out once this team is fully healthy (fingers crossed).

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team