Author Topic: What can Brown do for Team USA? Just about everything  (Read 23612 times)

Re: What can Brown do for Team USA? Just about everything
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2019, 01:40:47 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Brown proved in season 2 he could be a #1 or #2 offensive option.

Brown proved in seasons 2 and 3 that he is a great two way wing that can play both the SG and SF position.

Brown proved last year he can take on the role of bench player/sixth man and succeed there.

Brown proved the last two seasons he is an even better playoff performer than he is a regular season performer.

And now, this summer, for team USA, Jaylen proved he can guard the PF and C positions very well against high quality players.

And after proving all that, Jaylen is going to get less minutes and be worth less money because....why exactly? Aren't players that prove all that type of stuff players you keep and pay a lot of money to?
I don't think one playoff run proves anything.  To prove he can be a #1 or #2 option, Brown needs to do it over a much longer time frame.  He has yet to do that frankly.  IMO, Brown is an average #3 at best and a #5 at worst.

Well, it wasn't really just "one playoff run".

After Kyrie went down in mid-March of 2018, both Jaylen and Jayson rose to that level through the rest of that regular season and just continued on through the playoffs.   In fact, Jaylen actually had elevated his scoring even before Kyrie went down.  His last 6 games before Kyrie was lost included to 20+ games and only one that wasn't in double figures.   After Kyrie was lost, Jaylen scored between 19 and 32 points in 5 of 9 games.   He averaged 21.5 points per 36 during that span.   Then in the playoffs he averaged 20.5 points per 36 across another 18 games.   That's a 27 game stretch of averaging over 20+ points per 36.

And then he again elevated his game in these last playoffs.  He didn't get as high of USG (just 16.4 % compared to 24.6% the prior season) but he still managed to post a very efficient 16.4 points per 36.

I think that, other than the very start of this last season, when he was playing with an injured hand, Jaylen has pretty much always risen to the challenge of higher usage and higher stakes.

People just don't like him, it is what it is. He had one bad game 7 and everything else doesn't matter, I guess. He's also a year and a half older than Tatum, he's ancient. He's 23 (soon) and already headed for retirement, he is what he is. It's crazy how when a person is liked, they have unlimited time to grow.
Two things.  Even a half a season and a playoff run is enough.  And of course, Brown wasn't really a star in the half season either.

And yes, the key point is, when a player is liked, he'll get the benefit of the doubt.  And generally speaking, likability is based on how good you think they can be (broadly speaking) and how good they have been.  That's the way it should work.

« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2019, 01:43:56 PM »

Offline TDurden

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
All the great scorers shoot well at the FT line because they get a lot of points from the FT line..
:o

Um...

Let me tell you about a player that few have heard of.

His name was Wilt, no you probably heard of him.

How about another player his name was Tim, or was it Shaq, no it was Chris? Maybe it was Elvin?

You forgot to mention Bill.

I think it's likely they were talking about the current era of basketball... After Shaq coaches figured out you could bring the true shooting percentage of great post players down significantly by just making them score at the line... It would be very interesting to see a great post scorer who shot 80% from the free throw line come into the league today.  I bet they would be on their third or fourth team before a coach decided to focus their offense around that player... If it worked everyone would talk about how they had revolutionized basketball.   

« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2019, 04:38:27 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think it's likely they were talking about the current era of basketball... After Shaq coaches figured out you could bring the true shooting percentage of great post players down significantly by just making them score at the line... It would be very interesting to see a great post scorer who shot 80% from the free throw line come into the league today.  I bet they would be on their third or fourth team before a coach decided to focus their offense around that player... If it worked everyone would talk about how they had revolutionized basketball.   
Yao Ming didn't exactly move around and he is exactly as you describe. Joel Embiid shot 80% from the line last year as well (78.8% for his career) I don't think he's being moved around either. Jokic also shoots over 80% from the line.

« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2019, 04:39:26 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
All the great scorers shoot well at the FT line because they get a lot of points from the FT line..

Um...

How about another player his name was Tim, or was it Shaq, no it was Chris? Maybe it was Elvin?

Russell was many things, but he was never a great scorer.

« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2019, 04:53:42 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Am the only one worried about the Celtics Season, given our guys performance in the FIBA.

Brown did everything but he did not always do it well..

« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2019, 04:55:51 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Um...

Russell was many things, but he was never a great scorer.

True.  But he was a great player.   Being a crappy FT shooter wasn't an impediment to that.

And he was not a _bad_ scorer.   He had two seasons of averaging 18+ points per game and during his peak years could be counted on for 20+ points in more than a third of his games.

Arguably could have scored more if he wasn't such a 'pass first' kinda player.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2019, 08:46:07 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Am the only one worried about the Celtics Season, given our guys performance in the FIBA.

Especially at the FT line where Brown is only averaging 45.5% shooting FTs.

« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2019, 08:49:17 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
this is whats missing

SCAL!!

« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2019, 02:09:57 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Watched every USA game. Far from impressed by JB.

« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2019, 08:53:07 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Yeah.  On a massive sample size of ... 11 attempts.
 ::)
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2019, 09:18:48 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Um...

You mean, like Joel Embiid?

« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2019, 09:37:46 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Um...

You mean, like Joel Embiid?
His vision and passing isn't the strongest so there are concerns about him being good enough to build a championship level offense on, and his isolation offense isn't as resilient as the guy he's compared with the most, Hakeem Olajuwon to lift an offense by himself even with subpar vision. The modern big man I like the most in terms of being a championship caliber offensive anchor is KAT, he's transcendent on that end imo (although his defense is such a negative atm that he's All-NBA level at best overall).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2019, 12:25:26 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

In the NBA, Brown has never shot 70% from the FT line in 3 seasons.

His highest FT% was during his rookie year, 68.5%.

« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2019, 12:53:53 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743

far cry from 45.5%

« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2019, 12:54:58 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

And he's never shot below 64.4% on a season, either.   He's basically a very consistent ~66% FT shooter.  And that's on a still small but at least credible sample size of 559 attempts.   Which means he's no where anywhere remotely close to a '45%' FT shooter.

And any shooter who is consistently above 60% FT% is not statistically worth fouling intentionally.

So trying to to gnaw on this as if it were a serious weakness is silly.