Poll

How Many Minutes Does Timelord Play This Season?

Less than 440
440 (50 games, same per game as last season)
495 (50 games; 35 games at 9 per, 15 games at 12 per)
580 (66 games, same per game as last season)
672 (66 games; 40 games at 9 per, 26 games at 12 per)
790 (Low rotation minutes: 66 games, 12 minutes per game)
1,000 (Ninth man minutes, compare to Daniel Theis last year)
More than 1,000

Author Topic: How Many Minutes Does Timelord Play This Season?  (Read 11474 times)

Re: How Many Minutes Does Timelord Play This Season?
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2019, 01:06:47 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I think he'll be our fourth-string center this year, and he will play a bulk of the year in Maine.

So - more court time than last year, though?

Could some of those four guys play minutes at the 4? Probably not, if you ask me.

Yes - except that I think that Robert could become the one of the four who does. He's got the foot speed, the laterals, and the hops to stay with the swings and stretch 4's of the league. His closeouts are borderline amazing, since he can give his man room and still block the shot.

Baynes was excellent at leading the defense and protecting the paint - but he just didn't have the foot speed to cover out to the arc. But Williams has that capability.

Big growth area for Williams: leading the defense.

If he doesn't play much this year, that doesn't mean his career is over.

I agree!

I think the team will be content to see him continue to improve, with the possibility of being a contributor next year. It takes time for bigs to develop and I'm sure the team understands this.

Certainly executives are tamping down expectations at this stage. Clearly you're right, I'd say - though that leaves some wiggle room (!) for a range of different outcomes, and depending on what you mean by "a contributor".

Which did you vote for in the poll?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 09:27:19 PM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2019, 04:05:50 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
400!

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2019, 07:10:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
when i read the title .  what kept going though my mind was HOW many minutes will he play before he is hurt.  Hope Im not panicking, i just got a bad feeling .

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2019, 09:29:49 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
How many minutes in Boston? Not many. How many in Maine? A lot!

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2019, 11:45:39 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

How many do you predict?
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2019, 11:47:40 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
when i read the title .  what kept going though my mind was HOW many minutes will he play before he is hurt.  Hope Im not panicking, i just got a bad feeling .

Is this your intuition, or do you have a reason to think he’ll get injured?

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2019, 07:57:52 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith

just paranoid... ;D

« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2019, 04:19:08 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

just paranoid... ;D

A true fan!  :laugh:

« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2019, 04:25:17 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
400!

You're on the low end here - you might even be the most pessimistic on this forum.

It would be interesting to know what you think that his future is - are you predicting that he'll be a bust, or just more slowly developing than most people are predicting?

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2019, 05:51:00 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Could Tako possibly play more minutes by the end of the season ..?????....he seems more durable  8)

ah....i love the sweet green cool aid..D

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2019, 07:06:08 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Could Tako possibly play more minutes by the end of the season ..?????....he seems more durable  8)

ah....i love the sweet green cool aid..D

You're drinking the Irish Cool aid.... me too!

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2019, 07:37:04 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52

How many do you predict?
Less than 440, unless there is an injury I don't expect him to spend much time with the Celts.

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2019, 07:50:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

How many do you predict?
Less than 440, unless there is an injury I don't expect him to spend much time with the Celts.
Amongst those that posted their opinions, this appears to be the most popular opinion.

I wonder if the results of the poll would be different if the poll started at last year's number, 270 minutes, had even incremental increases in minutes as options and didn't have all the prefaces in the poll. Let people make their own determinations on games and minutes per game to come to their own season total of minutes.

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2019, 01:00:22 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

How many do you predict?
Amongst those that posted their opinions, this appears to be the most popular opinion.

The most popular choice in the poll, which was also the median choice, was way above that, though: 790. And that has been the case since eight people took the poll. As I write this, 46 have. It's been unwavering.

Let's face it, any number we come up with has a healthy dose of wild-ass guessing.

I wonder if the results of the poll would be different if the poll started at last year's number, 270 minutes, had even incremental increases in minutes as options and didn't have all the prefaces in the poll.

Why don't you try it? I’d like to see how it turns out.

By the way, you've made a mistake about his minutes last year - he played 283, not 270.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 08:28:48 AM by Hoopvortex »

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2019, 01:22:11 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

How many do you predict?

Even with injuries, in your scenario you wouldn't expect much time for him in the Big Show.

This is, plausibly, the view of the Boston brass:

· Team executive on Williams’ development: “We knew he was a project when we drafted him, but a worthy one. Sometimes a project gets tossed early, but Robert is a guy we’ll go the distance with. Word of warning: Don’t put too much on this kid too early. We signed a lot of bigs for a reason.”

This quotation from Keith P. Smith's recent article (could he really not get all of those sources to go on the record?) is intriguing - the exec thinks that they can't rely on him (yet) to take a lot of responsibility, in other words, but they believe in his potential to do that.

Whether that means more minutes on the Celtics, or a lot more, is not settled by that - but if they believe in his potential as a Celtic, it's logical that he'll get a bump. I don't think that anyone is suggesting fewer minutes for him this year.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 01:36:51 AM by Hoopvortex »