Author Topic: 2019-20 EPL Season  (Read 26393 times)

Re: 2019-20 EPL Season
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2019, 11:15:55 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Heartbroken that Chelsea have sold David Luiz. He has been our best defender since he arrived until the day he left. It was hard when we sold him to PSG a few years ago (for great money which eased the pain) but when he came back I thought David Luiz would play out the end of his (top level footie) career here. This sucks.

Update: Oh my god! Only £8million! I thought it was £20 million which I could at least understand for an older player. What a punch to the gut.

What a steal for Arsenal. Brilliant footballer.
Wow what a steal for Arsenal. I do believe that a CB like Zouma is a better fit for a Mourinho disciple like Lampard though.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2019, 11:17:35 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Heartbroken that Chelsea have sold David Luiz. He has been our best defender since he arrived until the day he left. It was hard when we sold him to PSG a few years ago (for great money which eased the pain) but when he came back I thought David Luiz would play out the end of his (top level footie) career here. This sucks.

Update: Oh my god! Only £8million! I thought it was £20 million which I could at least understand for an older player. What a punch to the gut.

This was a nice cherry on top of our sundae. What a transfer window we are having this year.

And to think, the media reported we only had about £45 million to spend, and we landed two very promising young talent, Dani Ceballos, Keiran Tierney, Nicolas Pepe and David Luis. Excellent deal of business by the new board.
Wow how much did you guys spend for them? What a great transfer window for you guys.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2019, 11:18:22 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Romelu Lukaku will leave Manchester United for Inter Millan.

So, is Marcus Rashford going to be the main striker for United now?
Yeah he will be. Going to be a very long season for United lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2019, 11:23:20 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Romelu Lukaku will leave Manchester United for Inter Millan.

So, is Marcus Rashford going to be the main striker for United now?

Some talk that based on preseason that it will be Anthony Martial.

I hope it is Martial. I think he is the better all-round footballer. He could give so much to Man Utd in a possession based game as a #9.

Rashford better in a counter attacking game.

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2019, 11:37:43 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

This was a nice cherry on top of our sundae. What a transfer window we are having this year.

And to think, the media reported we only had about £45 million to spend, and we landed two very promising young talent, Dani Ceballos, Keiran Tierney, Nicolas Pepe and David Luis. Excellent deal of business by the new board.
Wow how much did you guys spend for them? What a great transfer window for you guys.

From the top of my head, these were the reported fees.

Gabriel Martinelli - £7 million
William Saliba - £27 million
Dani Ceballos - season long loan, £15 million fee
Nicolas Pepe - £75 million
Keiran Tierney - £25 million
David Luis - £8 million

Most of those fees are structured deals, as they will be paid in installments, with big up front money. I think that's why we were able to strike deals despite a reported £45 million budget.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2019, 01:54:46 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Well that David Luiz signing has not aged well at all. Also isn't it interesting that since Rafa Benitez wrote that article in the athletics about beating man City, a lot of Premier League teams are figuring City out?
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2019, 07:44:11 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
@Somebody, are you a Sp*rs fan now?  ;)
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2019, 10:01:33 AM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
How are you feeling about Lampard now?

I felt that a 6-8th place finish was most realistic for this year, but he's done a great job so far. I'm still not a Barkley fan though

As a Chelsea fan, I am excited to see this season.

I have zero faith in Frank Lampard's managerial abilities but he will at least play the young players and that is fantastic!

I am looking forward to seeing more of Loftus-Cheek and Hudson Odoi when they return from injuries. Mason Mount is a fun attacking midfield coming in as well. Then there is Tammy Abraham who had a prolific scoring year for Aston Villa in the Championship last year. Four exciting young players who figure to be important parts of the squad this season. There is even some noise that Tomori or Reece James might be part of the team.

I am also happy to see the team moving forward with Hazard. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if he had chosen to stay ... but Hazard leaving opens the door for others. He was a bit awkward at times. Refused to stay wide. Kept coming into the middle and reducing space for others. Then there was his phase of wanting to be a #10 and play in the middle and the last two coaches trying unsuccessfully for far too long to make him a #9.

Removing Hazard -- while removing a fantastic attacking talent -- will create more options for those at the club. For the manager and for the other attacking midfielders / wide forwards and for the central midfielders to push forward.

I am expecting more from Willian and maybe Pedro with Hazard gone. As well as creating more opportunities for young guys like Pulisic, Mount, Hudson Odoi and Loftus Cheek. Oh and Ross Barkley. I expect a more attacking version of Barkley this year. Not the restrained version (due to Sarri) we saw last year.

Anyway, lots of fun things happening at Chelsea. Not necessarily winning things at least in the immediate sense. But fun things! Youth!

If only we had a good manager ...

Who knows maybe Frank Lampard will surprise.

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2019, 11:12:48 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
How are you feeling about Lampard now?

I felt that a 6-8th place finish was most realistic for this year, but he's done a great job so far. I'm still not a Barkley fan though

Fairly non committal.

Things have been great. Delighted to see so many young players playing and playing well. Very happy with the attacking football. However, there are also a lot of failings defensively. Too many gaps between the lines. That is on the manager more than the players. Team not being drilled well enough during training sessions. This is the type of thing that usually kills you in the long term. All is well right now because the team is scoring enough goals for their defensive issues not to matter that much but what happens when the goal scoring slows down? Can the team still get results?

Can Lampard coach the team's defending well enough to be successful enough to win trophies further down the road? Can he build a quality defense without cutting the head of his attack? Or can he only do one (attack or defend) at the cost of the other? Maybe he can. Maybe he can't. I don't know.

So yeah, I am delighted with the youth and the fun attacking football thus far but I am also seeing serious long term issues (like we had with Di Matteo). So cautious optimism. More just enjoying the moment but not buying into the future just yet. Not convinced Lampard is the man for the long term. But he is showing he is the man for right now and that is enough ... for now.

So happy now but unsure long term. Not fully sold on him.

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2019, 11:16:41 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I feel bad for Spurs.

Terrible decision to sack Pochettino. He is a great manager. I read he has been their most successful manager in something like 50-60 years. And then they sack him like this. So easily. Quickly. Shameful behaviour.

I wonder if it was driven by jealousy from Daniel Levy. You see higher ups get frustrated about the credit (or lack thereof) they receive over the team's good play. They don't like the manager getting all the glory so they wait and as soon as that manager hits a few bumps in the road - they use it as cover and get rid of him. Try to build the team differently right after in order to get acclaim for all the work they feel they haven't been credited with enough in the past. So hire Mourinho and desperately try to get a trophy. Then claim victory. "I Dan Levy am responsible for all this Spurs success, not that Pochettino chap".

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2019, 12:28:28 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Well at least I now have a club to root for at the moment :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2019, 12:33:59 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I feel bad for Spurs.

Terrible decision to sack Pochettino. He is a great manager. I read he has been their most successful manager in something like 50-60 years. And then they sack him like this. So easily. Quickly. Shameful behaviour.

I wonder if it was driven by jealousy from Daniel Levy. You see higher ups get frustrated about the credit (or lack thereof) they receive over the team's good play. They don't like the manager getting all the glory so they wait and as soon as that manager hits a few bumps in the road - they use it as cover and get rid of him. Try to build the team differently right after in order to get acclaim for all the work they feel they haven't been credited with enough in the past. So hire Mourinho and desperately try to get a trophy. Then claim victory. "I Dan Levy am responsible for all this Spurs success, not that Pochettino chap".
To be fair you usually don't have managers like Jose Mourinho available for a job when your current manager is faltering a bit midseason. I think the Spurs felt that they needed one more push to win titles, and Mourinho (for all his faults) knows how to win when he has a good squad to manage. I see it as a business decision, Mourinho gives them a big chance at winning some silverware in the next couple of years, and if the chips fall in the right place they could be looking at another 10-15 year run like Chelsea after Mourinho took over. Sometimes you need that first taste of title glory to rip off a winning streak, and Mourinho almost guarantees you that first taste.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2019, 12:35:59 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
@Somebody, are you a Sp*rs fan now?  ;)
Don't know how I missed this, but yes lol. I hope I can find some championship squad/newly promoted Premier League side to root for after Mourinho finishes his run with Tottenham, or whatever side Joao Sacramento manages in the future (he's currently Mourinho's number two in Tottenham, from what I've read he seems to be a very promising lad with a playstyle that I can get behind with).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 12:47:22 PM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2019, 04:27:29 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I realize this isn't super recent, but Ozil being taken out of PES for speaking out against the Chinese government is kind of funny. Not the comments or what the comments were about, but because it somewhat mirrors the Morey situation.

He's not the guy I would have expected to say something though.

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2020, 12:03:00 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I realize this isn't super recent, but Ozil being taken out of PES for speaking out against the Chinese government is kind of funny. Not the comments or what the comments were about, but because it somewhat mirrors the Morey situation.

He's not the guy I would have expected to say something though.

I didn't know he made that kind of comments. Of course it is ridiculous he s been removed from the game (every action China took was ridiculous)

I guess for Özil is easier to judge others... He was very fast to take Erdogan's side but now he cares about civil rights and democracy...