Beyond the Association > Global Basketball

Other Language Forums at CelticsBlog

(1/11) > >>

Bob Day:
We are interested in knowing how many members here would be interested in some CelticsBlog discussion forums in languages other than English. We know we have a number of members and visitors who enjoy another tongue as their primary language. We know too that many of our international members and visitors are quite fluent in English, but also that some struggle with our language a bit and yearn for discussions here in their own, first languages.

We also know that many of our visitors speak little or no English at all. We see this in how often our auto-translators are used (that's what the little flags at the very top left of every page here are for--in case some of you didn't know). Having automatic, site wide language translation available here for several languages is a nice feature. Those translations are "read only" though and somewhat awkward at times in how they render our often grammar-free, slangy English into other languages.

Given those realities, we would like some feedback on this inquiry from some of our existing, other language/international members. Understand that, although we don't need large numbers of people initially interested in order to justify creating a "foreign" language forum here at CB, we will need at least one, if not two or more bilingual (Other and English), trustworthy forum moderators of our choosing who would be willing to help us manage each language forum we create here. Naturally, it may take some time for us to determine how best we may go about this or even if it is something doable. It won't hurt for us to consider it though and the best way to do that is to begin talking about it.

I guess the most common question our strictly English-speaking CelticsBlog members have might have about the prospect of other language forums here would be, "Why?" Well, there are a number of reasons and we'll talk about those more when we can make the time. For now we though, we want to limit discussion in this topic to hearing from as many of you who are interested, in how one or more other language forums might benefit some of our non-English members and visitors as well as the English-speaking CelticsBlog community in general.

This will be an open, ongoing discussion with no time limit. We invite your thoughts on this.

Dirk:
I would definitely be intrested in the creation of forums in languages other than English. My own recommendation would be a forum in Spanish. From what I read in the "Celticsblog International???" thread, Spaniards ranked 4th in traffic last month after Canada, Australia (both English speaking) and the Europen Union. Then, 15 of the other countries listed (including Chile which is from where I come from, but somehow wasn't listed :(...) are spanish-talking nations.

I believe this would be a great step forward for the site. I am more then intrested in discussing stuff with other spanish-talking people and know what they think, wether it's the Celtics, basketball in general, or anything else, and get to know them a little thanks to this great place.

Good move guys. I was hoping this would happen someday. It brings an added value to the blog, and international posters contribute for a wider perspective of things being discussed, no doubt of that.

Mother:
I would speak spanish with other bloggers.

Zoots:

--- Quote from: Mother on March 24, 2007, 03:47:08 AM ---I would speak spanish with other bloggers.

--- End quote ---
Might be some fun.  I could mangle some Spanish  ;D .  I could give it a go in Italian too.

Edgar:
Count me in for the Spanish Forum
Count me in for helping u all in anything u want
Yo Hablo espanol  ;)
And very very fluently  ;)
Gracias

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version