Author Topic: Revisiting Al Horford...  (Read 4124 times)

Re: Revisiting Al Horford...
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2021, 12:58:56 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
If we bring Horford that means Theis is headed out to keep us within the hard cap.
On the other hand Horfords deal can be used to match salaries for a star next season or even this season for Beal.

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2021, 01:00:04 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
I agree that our biggest need or potential for upgrade is the PF position/role, but Al Horford is not the answer at this point in his career and definitely not on his current contract.  I would rather just struggle along with Theis as our starting PF until a better option becomes available or if not, use a TPE on more of a swing like Thad Young.

You don’t think the Celtics have enough (S)wing players with Tatum, Brown, Smart, Semi, Langford, Greene, Nesmith?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2021, 01:07:45 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I agree that our biggest need or potential for upgrade is the PF position/role, but Al Horford is not the answer at this point in his career and definitely not on his current contract.  I would rather just struggle along with Theis as our starting PF until a better option becomes available or if not, use a TPE on more of a swing like Thad Young.

You don’t think the Celtics have enough (S)wing players with Tatum, Brown, Smart, Semi, Langford, Greene, Nesmith?

He means a 3/4.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2021, 02:35:55 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
For goodness sakes, no!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2021, 02:42:15 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

He means a 3/4.

Well, I feel like all of the above can play the 3. Only Tatum, Brown, and Smart(occasionally) can play the 4. Is Thad young someone that would be worthwhile to bring in to play some minutes at the PF position? Idk
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2021, 03:01:18 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Although I wouldn't mind Horford, the other issue is that his defense hasn't been the same since a few years ago. He's not the worst guy there but one of Horford's best attributes besides facilitating was his defense on other centers. But over the past 1.5 seasons it seems even that has diminished. It's a reason he struggled mightily with PHI. He got abused on defense more often than in the past. Maybe he shows he still has it this season, but I'd rather use it on a younger PF/C if possible.

Who is that guy, though? The younger established PF/C that can step in and help them right away.. I thought maybe Steven Adams, but he got snatched up by The Pels... what rebuilding team has a PF/C that they would be willing to move?

Aaron Gordon, Richaud Holmes, John Collins, Marvin Bagley maybe, Capela, Mason Plumlee
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 03:36:35 PM by BMark »

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2021, 04:07:47 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
If Danny and Co thought that overpaying Horford was a bad idea during the 2019 offseason, I doubt Al's performances during the intervening year and a half has done anything to change their minds. At this point we would be getting the back end of his contract when his productivity is dropping. No thanks.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2021, 04:10:16 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
If we bring Horford that means Theis is headed out to keep us within the hard cap.
On the other hand Horfords deal can be used to match salaries for a star next season or even this season for Beal.

Are we even sure that Horford is better than Theis at this point?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2021, 04:11:50 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
How did the first visit go?

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2021, 04:48:52 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

He means a 3/4.

Well, I feel like all of the above can play the 3. Only Tatum, Brown, and Smart(occasionally) can play the 4. Is Thad young someone that would be worthwhile to bring in to play some minutes at the PF position? Idk
Thad Young is an interesting option. He’d be a decent option there. He’s a good defender and can hit the three. Getting up there in age but would be an interesting option.

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2021, 04:57:20 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Although I wouldn't mind Horford, the other issue is that his defense hasn't been the same since a few years ago. He's not the worst guy there but one of Horford's best attributes besides facilitating was his defense on other centers. But over the past 1.5 seasons it seems even that has diminished. It's a reason he struggled mightily with PHI. He got abused on defense more often than in the past. Maybe he shows he still has it this season, but I'd rather use it on a younger PF/C if possible.

Who is that guy, though? The younger established PF/C that can step in and help them right away.. I thought maybe Steven Adams, but he got snatched up by The Pels... what rebuilding team has a PF/C that they would be willing to move?

Aaron Gordon, Richaud Holmes, John Collins, Marvin Bagley maybe, Capela, Mason Plumlee

Holmes or Bagley could work if the Kings start losing. fingers crossed....Plumlee isn’t very good, Collins is too good, Capela isn’t much better than Theis and he can’t shoot. Aaron Gordon is one of Orlando’s best players, not sure why they would want to trade him to the C’s. Plus, they are a playoff team.

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2021, 05:04:48 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Thanks, but no thanks. Like the OP said, he's massively overpaid. I'd only consider it if the Thunder were willing to give us a valuable pick. Thing is, the Thunder don't need cap space right now cause they are in asset collection mode. Don't see why they'd throw in a pick to dump Horford.

I understand that he is overpaid, however, he would give the C’s much needed depth at the PF and C position.
Imo, he ain't a PF anymore. At this point in his career, he ain't mobile enough to play D on the perimeter.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 05:10:37 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2021, 05:09:46 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

Are we even sure that Horford is better than Theis at this point?

I think Theis (worst whistle in the NBA and all!) is "just as useful" as Horford would be for the Celtics. Theis is so much better above the rim than Horford was here, and Theis has evolved into a competent facilitator when playing the 5. He's trying his best at 4 and I think will show even more versatility as the year progresses.

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2021, 02:56:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Javale would be a live body for us.

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2021, 03:01:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Javale would be a live body for us.
Would much rather play Timelord a bunch more. His body is more lively.