Author Topic: The Official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (20-62, #1)  (Read 348598 times)

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Sure wish the d trade or sell off Lopez,  that would seal,the deal for next year too.   It's like they have imprisioned him in Siberia , you ARE going to play for use by god one way or the other we are getting our money's worth out of you .   Working him to death ,  going no where .   Without Lopez they are lucky to put up 75 points as a team. 

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
A reminder that the Nets finishing as the worst team does not guarantee the no.1 pick. In fact, it doesn't occur that often.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
this is so amazing... they have10 losses in a row. I never thought the Nets picks would end being so insanely good when the deal was made.

As a side note, the bottom team has only 25% of winning the 1st pick- whereas the % of being 4th are 35.7. The good news tho is that you are guaranteed to be in the top 4.

TP, great point that I never actually wrote in the OP. It's so significant for our pick because we are guaranteed a top 4 pick.

Thankyou Billy King!
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: The Official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (8-33, #1 on 1/17)
« Reply #1368 on: January 20, 2017, 11:36:20 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 919
Up by five. That's a good little Miami team. good boys.

I picture you talking to a dog. :D

Hey, it seemed to work. Next time Brooklyn is on, you should try, "Roll over. Play dead. Goooodddd doggie..."

Mike
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 11:49:00 AM by mef730 »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
this is so amazing... they have10 losses in a row. I never thought the Nets picks would end being so insanely good when the deal was made.

As a side note, the bottom team has only 25% of winning the 1st pick- whereas the % of being 4th are 35.7. The good news tho is that you are guaranteed to be in the top 4.

TP, great point that I never actually wrote in the OP. It's so significant for our pick because we are guaranteed a top 4 pick.

Thankyou Billy King!
yup, top 4 in this draft is looking really good as opposed to other years when it's been a top 1 or top 2 and we've been just outside that range.

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I really hope this turns out like the 2015 draft where there were a number of good players at the top. How good could this team be if this pick was in the 14 or 15 draft and they got Towns or Embiid. Wow.

Ok Im back from fantasy land. Im fine with a top 4 pick. Im not going to stress about it. As the OP stated, this lead is becoming so large that I dont see how they dont finish with the worst record in the league. 5 wins is a very large gap to overcome when you consider they have only won 8 so far.

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
Brings me back to November 12, when the Nets were 4-5 and many people were panicking (yes, myself included). In fact, somebody questioned if we would even be needing the swap with BKN (I think it was a joke.).

Since that time, they have gone 4-28. Can you imagine it? What would this board have done if we could somehow have gone into the future and seen where they would be at this point? That we'd be at the halfway point and their closest "competitor" would be four games "behind" them. Unbelievable.

The only thing that the Nets have going for them is that Jeremy Lin will soon return. No, he is not the world's greatest point guard, but their offense clearly plays much better with him on the court.

Mike

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I'm too nervous to ever let myself be happy about anything. I won't really be happy until I see the player wearing the Celtics hat next to Adam Silver. But [dang], this is good.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
With the trade deadline a few weeks away, the value of this pick has never been higher. Ainge has all the ammo and leverage to make a huge trade if he wants to.

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Brings me back to November 12, when the Nets were 4-5 and many people were panicking (yes, myself included). In fact, somebody questioned if we would even be needing the swap with BKN (I think it was a joke.).

Since that time, they have gone 4-28. Can you imagine it? What would this board have done if we could somehow have gone into the future and seen where they would be at this point? That we'd be at the halfway point and their closest "competitor" would be four games "behind" them. Unbelievable.

The only thing that the Nets have going for them is that Jeremy Lin will soon return. No, he is not the world's greatest point guard, but their offense clearly plays much better with him on the court.

Mike

Yes, actually we can imagine it. Some of us said it was a small sample size against mediocre competition fueled by unsustainable 3 point shooting percentages. The law of averages evened things out.

I still expect that Brooklyn will go on a run towards the end of the season. Their schedule is too favorable, too many home games, too few back-to-backs that they'll get some encouragement at seasons' end. I'm still expecting that they'll win somewhere about 22-23 games.

I said many years ago (when the trade went down) that the 2016-2018 picks may very well end up in the lottery. I said a couple of years ago that the picks may very well end up in the top 5.  I've been steadfastly bullish about these picks because:

(1) Originally you could see that the Nets roster was going to get old FAST. Deron Williams was about to turn 30, KG and Pierce were too old already and thus the only real younger asset the Nets had was Lopez. That was it. That was a team with a very limited window. Also, all the advanced metrics showed that their W-L record was abnormally good for a team with such a poor point differential. In other words, they were overachieving and the team was already getting past their prime.

(2) Without some great trades - and their ownership was a mess which isn't conducive to making great trades - the Nets were going to have to try to restock their roster on one pick in 2015 and a bunch of 2nd rounders. Hitting it out of the park in the lottery is hard enough. Hitting it out of the park with a mid-1st on one try is almost impossible. They were going to have a really hard time back filling the aging talent.

(3) Figuring that the team would be in decline at precisely the same time the cap exploded, I knew that the Nets were not going to be able to overspend to get FAs. When 15-20 teams have max space and the money is the same, the Nets really had very little to offer prospective FAs. So while some people were posting how the Nets were a player for KD this past offseason, I said they would have a hard time getting even 2nd tier FAs. And that's what happened.

That's why I posted years ago that the Nets situation was the worst in the league. No young talent. No picks. No ability to attract FAs. And here it is. Of course, I'm not always right. I said that Trump would never voted into the Oval Office...   ;D
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
When we made the trade, I thought, "Our future is secure."
We have a great GM, a great coach, and Brooklyn's pick for this year and next year.
The IT trade was also great, as was the Rondo trade.

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker

That's why I posted years ago that the Nets situation was the worst in the league. No young talent. No picks. No ability to attract FAs. And here it is. Of course, I'm not always right. I said that Trump would never voted into the Oval Office...   ;D

Look on the bright side. You got the important one right.

Mike

Offline Vino

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Can't help but think back a few decades (1986) when I was checking box scores daily to see how Seattle did. For you yungins, we had their pick when we traded Gerald Henderson and ended up with the #2 pick. Red talked up Brad Daugherty who was taken 1st by the Cavs. We got our man, Len Bias at #2. He was thought to be the guy to continue the Celtic dominance of the 80's. As many of us know he died tragically 2 days later of a cocaine overdose. 

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
The best part is that NEXT year they're likely to be just as bad.

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Can't help but think back a few decades (1986) when I was checking box scores daily to see how Seattle did. For you yungins, we had their pick when we traded Gerald Henderson and ended up with the #2 pick. Red talked up Brad Daugherty who was taken 1st by the Cavs. We got our man, Len Bias at #2. He was thought to be the guy to continue the Celtic dominance of the 80's. As many of us know he died tragically 2 days later of a cocaine overdose.

Maybe this is the basketball gods making it up to us, brother. TP, and faith we will dominate the league yet again.