Author Topic: Celtics summer league squad  (Read 11363 times)

Re: Celtics summer league squad
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2018, 03:57:55 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Summer league roster officially announced today.  Pretty much who we expected.  The best is news is that Jabari Bird is on it, implying that a deal with him should be worked out quite quickly.

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/offseason-062918-player-by-player-breakdown-of-summer-league-roster

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2018, 04:08:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Allen shortest at 6’3”.

Look forward to watching them. Yabu, Semi and Williams starting inside should be fun. Jabari and Allen in backcourt.

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2018, 04:42:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Is phily gonna use embiid as rookie again  ,  ben in he league 8 year and 35 years old  ;D

They are our first game .
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 05:48:20 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2018, 04:47:45 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Allen shortest at 6’3”.

Look forward to watching them. Yabu, Semi and Williams starting inside should be fun. Jabari and Allen in backcourt.

I think that almost everybody is over 6'5". When the Celtics get out on the break it's going to be like a water buffalo stampede.

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2018, 05:51:01 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Summer league roster officially announced today.  Pretty much who we expected.  The best is news is that Jabari Bird is on it, implying that a deal with him should be worked out quite quickly.

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/offseason-062918-player-by-player-breakdown-of-summer-league-roster

I like Bird ....just the name alone out on the court in green is cool.   Plus he can actually shoot.  LOL

« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2018, 05:53:47 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Stoked to see Semi, Yabu, RW, and Bird. If Yabu has anything, he should start showing out in SL.

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2018, 05:55:18 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Stoked to see Semi, Yabu, RW, and Bird. If Yabu has anything, he should start showing out in SL.

I think you’ll see some good moments from Yabusele.  He did average 20/8/3 when he was in Maine this year.

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2018, 06:40:09 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

So it's finally happened. Wow. This is so awesome, and TP for the link :). All that I need now is a picture of Uthoff in green and I can change my signature, lol ;D.

« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2018, 06:42:36 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Allen shortest at 6’3”.

I think that almost everybody is over 6'5". When the Celtics get out on the break it's going to be like a water buffalo stampede.

I'm not sure as to whether or not this is some kind of pun owing to Williams' previous experience with Buffalo Wild Wings ;) ::) ;D, lol, but either way - TP. Well done, sir ;D.

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2018, 06:47:45 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

So it's finally happened. Wow. This is so awesome, and TP for the link :). All that I need now is a picture of Uthoff in green and I can change my signature, lol ;D.

I do think it’s between him and Jarell Eddie for our 2nd 2-way spot next season, although I give Eddie the advantage.

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2018, 07:18:48 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

I do think it’s between him and Jarell Eddie for our 2nd 2-way spot next season, although I give Eddie the advantage.

Lol, really? I don't even expect to see the Celtics offer Uthoff any kind of contract whatsoever, lol ;D.

That said, here's what I'd like to see during the summer league - assuming, of course, that Uthoff even makes it on the court (ugh) - for Williams to switch off onto any frontcourt player, especially small forwards, after a pick and roll, etc., and for Uthoff to do the same in terms of point guards and shooting guards.

I'm not a proponent of "switching everything" ::), as you know, but in certain matchups, I believe that switching can actually work to our advantage, so we'll see, I guess, but I'm not exactly getting my hopes up, lol ;D. Sigh.

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2018, 07:31:02 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Lol, really? I don't even expect to see the Celtics offer Uthoff any kind of contract whatsoever, lol ;D.

That said, here's what I'd like to see during the summer league - assuming, of course, that Uthoff even makes it on the court (ugh) - for Williams to switch off onto any frontcourt player, especially small forwards, after a pick and roll, etc., and for Uthoff to do the same in terms of point guards and shooting guards.

I'm not a proponent of "switching everything" ::), as you know, but in certain matchups, I believe that switching can actually work to our advantage, so we'll see, I guess, but I'm not exactly getting my hopes up, lol ;D. Sigh.

I expect they’ll use their 2-way, because why not, and they’ll want it for someone who has pro experience to be available in an emergency injury situation.  As I say, Eddie is the favorite, but Uthoff has been around enough where he could play himself into an opportunity.  One thing you’re allowed to do is make camp invite contracts convertible to 2-way contracts, so the Celtics could give 2-3 players the opportunity to earn the 2-way deal in the fall.

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2018, 07:38:20 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

I expect they’ll use their 2-way, because why not, and they’ll want it for someone who has pro experience to be available in an emergency injury situation.  As I say, Eddie is the favorite, but Uthoff has been around enough where he could play himself into an opportunity.  One thing you’re allowed to do is make camp invite contracts convertible to 2-way contracts, so the Celtics could give 2-3 players the opportunity to earn the 2-way deal in the fall.

Why would you say that Eddie is the favorite?

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2018, 07:55:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Because he got a little time with the team during the regular season, and is a significantly better 3-point shooter.  At 44% for his career in the G-League, he has an NBA skill that translates immediately.

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2018, 09:00:33 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Because he got a little time with the team during the regular season, and is a significantly better 3-point shooter.  At 44% for his career in the G-League, he has an NBA skill that translates immediately.

While Eddie's G League three point percentage is better, I agree, his percentages at the NBA level are Marcus Smart-level atrocious, lol ;D, plus, he doesn't really do anything other than shoot threes, not to mention the fact that his defense is awful, iirc, lol ;D.

Idk, man, I just think that Uthoff brings so much more to the table that it's not even funny, but at the same time, I just don't see him being properly utilized, if he even gets a chance to play, at all :'(.

Tell you what, how about this - I get my own NBA franchise comprised of nothing but undrafted prospects, with the team getting dibs on the first two, well, undrafted free agent following the conclusion of the, well, draft, as opposed to having your standard first and second round selections.

The team stays together for the duration of your standard rookie contract, albeit not in terms of money, of, what, four years, at the end of which the franchise goes the way of the Dodo and everyone, having received plenty of playing time against NBA players over the proceeding seasons, goes their separate ways, and hopefully with good salaries from NBA teams :).

What do you think?