Author Topic: Bill Simmons 76ers trade idea  (Read 4714 times)

Re: Bill Simmons 76ers trade idea
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2020, 01:30:27 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Simmons to Spurs maybe?

Mills, poetle, and White?

You can get guys like those 3 in FA anytime you want them. Why would you trade anything for them?

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2020, 01:41:12 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
IMO, building around Embiid is a risky proposition. He's already missed 14 games this year, missed ~20 games in his 2 "healthy" years, and missed most of the 3 years before that (and all of the Big 12 and NCAA tourneys while at Kansas).

Last year in the playoffs, he had to have treatments every day in order to be able to play. 7 footers with bad feet or knees are just a bad gamble. lol at posters who act like this isn't a massive issue facing the 76ers.

I think Simmons' game is too flawed for him to be a #1 guy. But IMO, he's the one Philly has to keep. If I were them, I'd be looking to move Embiid. We're fortunate that the 6ers had the guy they really needed on their roster and let him slip away last offseason. Now they've got a bloated roster with bad contracts that isn't very good past the starting 5.

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2020, 06:07:21 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
I wonder at what point Philly decides that Embiid is just too injury prone to be the "guy" to build around. If Embiid is pretty much relegated to around 60 or less games a year and there is NO way of ever being confident he can be healthy for an extended playoff run, does Philly look to exchange their franchise guy for some other team's franchise guy?

Embiid missed his first 2 1/2 years then hasn't been able to play more than 64 games a year since. If he played every game the rest of the year he only hits 69 games played this year. I think it's very likely he misses at least 5 more.

And, Embiid hasn't been the pillar of health in the playoffs either.

So maybe this trade isn't too all that crazy. I don't see Houston doing it but could another team with a franchise player be willing to make that swap?

I don't listen to Bill Simmons. I think his trade ideas tend to suck. But maybe he is onto something here in thinking maybe Philly would like to exchange franchise players because they don't have long term confidence in Embiid's health.
Lots of star players are injury prone (Kawhi, AD, Kyrie ...).  Did you not want to trade for AD because he's too injury prone?  60-65 games in the regular season is just fine for the Embiid.  The Sixers just need to perform good load management which they did not do last season. 

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2020, 06:23:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I wonder at what point Philly decides that Embiid is just too injury prone to be the "guy" to build around. If Embiid is pretty much relegated to around 60 or less games a year and there is NO way of ever being confident he can be healthy for an extended playoff run, does Philly look to exchange their franchise guy for some other team's franchise guy?

Embiid missed his first 2 1/2 years then hasn't been able to play more than 64 games a year since. If he played every game the rest of the year he only hits 69 games played this year. I think it's very likely he misses at least 5 more.

So maybe this trade isn't too all that crazy. I don't see Houston doing it but could another team with a franchise player be willing to make that swap?

I don't listen to Bill Simmons. I think his trade ideas tend to suck. But maybe he is onto something here in thinking maybe Philly would like to exchange franchise players because they don't have long term confidence in Embiid's health.
Lots of star players are injury prone (Kawhi, AD, Kyrie ...).  Did you not want to trade for AD because he's too injury prone?  60-65 games in the regular season is just fine for the Embiid.  The Sixers just need to perform good load management which they did not do last season.
What would my desires of an Anthony Davis trade have to do with Philly possibly coming to the conclusion they might want to move on from an injury prone guy? I really have no dog in this fight. I could not care less if Philly loves Embiid and will never move him or if they would come to the opinion he needs to be moved on from.

I was just looking at the trade, thought it a bad one but wanted to explore the possible reasoning behind it. No need to get all defensive about your favorite team and try to make me out like some hypocrite. I was just trying to understand the proposed trade and why Philly would move on from Embiid and this was the only reason it could possibly be.

Personally, I think it's a bad trade for both teams. Yeah, they are both top 5 players but the teams surrounding them are made for those players. I don't see either team being better by making the swap and think both teams might get a little worse.

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2020, 07:45:26 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I kinda thought we are going to trade Bill Simmons to the Sixers.

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2020, 07:56:38 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

What would my desires of an Anthony Davis trade have to do with Philly possibly coming to the conclusion they might want to move on from an injury prone guy? I really have no dog in this fight. I could not care less if Philly loves Embiid and will never move him or if they would come to the opinion he needs to be moved on from.

I was just looking at the trade, thought it a bad one but wanted to explore the possible reasoning behind it. No need to get all defensive about your favorite team and try to make me out like some hypocrite. I was just trying to understand the proposed trade and why Philly would move on from Embiid and this was the only reason it could possibly be.

Personally, I think it's a bad trade for both teams. Yeah, they are both top 5 players but the teams surrounding them are made for those players. I don't see either team being better by making the swap and think both teams might get a little worse.
Embiid is my favorite player.  The Sixers are not my favorite team.  I'd trade a lot to get Embiid on the Celtics.  My response was reasonable.  There's a double standard with Embiid's injuries than other injury prone star players. 

The only reason this came up is Bill Simmons is an idiot and unfortunately a member of the media.  A year ago he was talking about them trading Simmons and Embiid being a lock to stay in Philly.  I wonder if his follow-on trade was Capella to the Celtics for pennies on the dollar.  There's no indication that the Sixers would even consider trading Embiid so I don't see any logic into projecting reasons why they would. 

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2020, 07:59:17 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
I'm trying to figure out what equal (negative) value for Bill Simmons equates too. 

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2020, 08:25:35 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I don't know if people know, but Simmons actually went ahead and extended this trade to a 3-team deal involving us lol (or technically you could call it two separate trades involving the Rockets).

Basically, Sixers get Harden, Rockets get Marcus Smart + maybe a pick + Embiid, Celtics get Capela + a bench scorer.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2020, 08:36:01 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

no ...

more like the Bagdad boo foo ers

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2020, 08:36:55 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm trying to figure out what equal (negative) value for Bill Simmons equates too.

Lets just swap Simmons. Bill Simmons + Grizzlies Pick for Ben Simmons  :P  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2020, 08:42:51 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

Lets just swap Simmons. Bill Simmons + Grizzlies Pick for Ben Simmons  :P  :laugh:

I wouldn't  trade my current stinky bag of kitchen garbage for Bill Simmons

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2020, 09:45:38 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I don't know if people know, but Simmons actually went ahead and extended this trade to a 3-team deal involving us lol (or technically you could call it two separate trades involving the Rockets).

Basically, Sixers get Harden, Rockets get Marcus Smart + maybe a pick + Embiid, Celtics get Capela + a bench scorer.

No way DA trades smart to Philly a and helps them get better. I’d rather move some small parts for Noel or WCS and keep Smart.

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2020, 10:17:42 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Embiid is my favorite player.  The Sixers are not my favorite team.  I'd trade a lot to get Embiid on the Celtics.  My response was reasonable.  There's a double standard with Embiid's injuries than other injury prone star players. 

The only reason this came up is Bill Simmons is an idiot and unfortunately a member of the media.  A year ago he was talking about them trading Simmons and Embiid being a lock to stay in Philly.  I wonder if his follow-on trade was Capella to the Celtics for pennies on the dollar.  There's no indication that the Sixers would even consider trading Embiid so I don't see any logic into projecting reasons why they would.
Davis looks like AC Green when compared to Embiid in the health department.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2020, 10:50:56 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Davis looks like AC Green when compared to Embiid in the health department.
Yeah, Embiid’s injury and general conditioning concerns are unlike any other superstar I can think of currently playing.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)