Author Topic: Bill Simmons 76ers trade idea  (Read 4710 times)

Bill Simmons 76ers trade idea
« on: January 22, 2020, 05:46:16 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Given Philly's season struggles and their problems with integrating Simmons & Embiid, Bill suggested Harden for Embiid which i'm sure both fans would hate but I actually think would work.

Re: Bill Simmons 76ers trade idea
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 05:54:14 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
It would make the Sixers title contenders imo, them getting Harden would finally relegate Simmons to that garbage man role that'd suit him perfectly, ntm that a big like Horford is perfect for Harden.

A lineup of:
Harden
Richardson
Harris
Simmons
Horford

With defensive pieces like Thybulle available on the bench is a title contender.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 07:10:15 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
It's a poor trade proposal because Harden is too ball dominant to play with Simmons. The purpose of trading Embiid would be to unleash the considerable talents of Simmons, as evidence in this recent run with Embiid not playing.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 08:59:17 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
It's a poor trade proposal because Harden is too ball dominant to play with Simmons. The purpose of trading Embiid would be to unleash the considerable talents of Simmons, as evidence in this recent run with Embiid not playing.

Right, but it's a massive overpay to trade Embiid for anyone but a 1A / top-20 type guy. Beal or Klay I think would be the exact type of guy for that team. Like prime Ray Allen, or someone like that. Bucket-getter who doesn't need the ball.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 09:16:17 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
What unlocks Simmons' full potential is that Draymond-esque role though, you'd want a guy like Harden who can spam the high PnR with him alongside multiple shooters on the floor.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 09:59:23 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
This is not even a NBA2k trade.

2 teams trading not just their stars, but their identities. Those types of trades never happen for that exact same reason.
Bill has a rate of 1/100 good trade proposals, many times his trades aren't even possible within the CBA.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 10:01:24 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think the Sixers would be nuts to trade for Embiid. 

Put better fitting pieces around him.   Consider moving Simmons but keep Embiid as the foundation.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 11:19:47 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Put better fitting pieces around him.   Consider moving Simmons but keep Embiid as the foundation.

What about the health factor though? Guy's knees were worn down by the playoffs last season, he's missed two full seasons and large chunks of the other 3+, and already seems a bit less mobile and explosive at just 25. Hard to say where he'll be at 28.

Harden's probably not the answer, mind you, but durability's gotta be a consideration.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 11:21:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

At some point they may need to pick between the 2 and I can see several arguments why it might make more sense to keep the lesser player in Simmons.  First, he is much healthier (along with being younger).  Second, Embiid has more value and would give a greater return.  Third, Simmons has a more unique skill set giving him the potential to be a more difficult match-up for opposing teams.

I like Brown as a coach, but he hasn't done a great job figuring out how to maximize Simmons' potential and to a lesser extent Embiid's.  If they flame out this year, I think Brown is gone and they will give it 1 more year with a new coach before they decide on moving on from one of the two.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 11:22:46 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I wonder at what point Philly decides that Embiid is just too injury prone to be the "guy" to build around. If Embiid is pretty much relegated to around 60 or less games a year and there is NO way of ever being confident he can be healthy for an extended playoff run, does Philly look to exchange their franchise guy for some other team's franchise guy?

Embiid missed his first 2 1/2 years then hasn't been able to play more than 64 games a year since. If he played every game the rest of the year he only hits 69 games played this year. I think it's very likely he misses at least 5 more.

And, Embiid hasn't been the pillar of health in the playoffs either.

So maybe this trade isn't too all that crazy. I don't see Houston doing it but could another team with a franchise player be willing to make that swap?

I don't listen to Bill Simmons. I think his trade ideas tend to suck. But maybe he is onto something here in thinking maybe Philly would like to exchange franchise players because they don't have long term confidence in Embiid's health.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 11:34:16 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 11:28:45 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

What about the health factor though? Guy's knees were worn down by the playoffs last season, he's missed two full seasons and large chunks of the other 3+, and already seems a bit less mobile and explosive at just 25. Hard to say where he'll be at 28.

Harden's probably not the answer, mind you, but durability's gotta be a consideration.

Its definitely a concern & consideration.  I just think he's such a unique force & weapon when healthy that you try & do everything you can as an organization to try to keep him health.  Load management, conditioning, etc..   

He's not even 26 yet.  I think given the roster structure, you still try to build inside/out with him. I think it'd be easier to find a complementary piece for what they need by moving Simmons rather than Embiid.

Obviously, health is the huge concern, though.  That's an organizational call.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 11:58:18 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
They'll fire the coach I think before trading either Embiid/Simmons, still trying to make it worth with their two stars who both are centers on offense.

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 12:25:53 PM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Simmons to Spurs maybe?

Mills, poetle, and White?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 12:41:27 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Simmons to Spurs maybe?

Mills, poetle, and White?

With all due respect, that is just an awful trade for the Sixers. Those pieces individually are okay, but imagine if we traded Brown for that package - Danny would get obliterated. The Sixers should at least be able to obtain a 2nd tier All-Star or up-and-coming future all star. Simmons is still a fantastic asset.

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2020, 01:16:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Of all the potential trades out there for Embiid, I think Towns for Embiid makes the most sense.  Other pieces probably need to be included, but those 2 as the foundational pieces I think at least work as a starting point. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip