Author Topic: Somewhat boring trade idea now that the sky is no longer falling  (Read 2288 times)

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm going to preface this by stating that this isn't a particularly exciting idea.

https://tradenba.com/trades/-5vx7ZkP6

I don't know if Sacramento are going to try and keep Bjelica - he's 31 and they're not a very good team. He's also playing career-best ball, so his value will likely never be higher. A guy who was just taken in the lottery seems like a fair deal. I don't think they move Bjelica before finding a partner for Dedmon, however. Their impending free agency thing with Bogdanovic is also interesting. He's a bit older than most think (currently 27, same as Hield), so there's a lot resting upon the improvement Fox and Bagley could make. Another lotto-talent wing could help their roster, and could help them move away from the likes of Barnes.
Them moving Ariza makes me think they could try and move their other old guys (Bjelica), which is why an idea like this came to mind.

Really just kinda bored, and thought I may as well post these here. Bjelica is a guy I think could help us, as he's a big who can spread the floor quite well, and should age well. I also think he could give us some flexibility with our starting lineups. I don't think Bjelica would ever be a starter, but I think he'd allow us to more comfortably start Kanter in games where his skills are more useful than Theis', without having our bench scoring hit so much.

As much as I love Grant and Semi, I'd rather give Bjelica 20-25 minutes than give them 14 each.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Re: Somewhat boring trade idea now that the sky is no longer falling
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 05:14:22 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Nope. Not Langford. Maybe Wana instead. CBS looks like he's going to be cutting Wanamaker's minutes if people stay healthy. I could be wrong but I remember Wana also not playing much before our injuries started pilling up early season. He put him in and he played well so CBS kept playing him but like last season I don't think Wana is a part of the plan if people are healthy. Besides, I think his play has been pretty mediocre for a long stretch after he started off very good.

I will always root for the guys we have and trades aren't really my thing but if a guy is just for emergency, id like them replaced with people who could be more helpful on a nightly basis unless they are young/early in their careers. Wanamaker, because he's old and had the chance to prove he's solid and nothing more. Langford is only 20. I rather add a pick like the buck's  before sending the kid, especially in this situation.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 05:22:57 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Nope. Not Langford. Maybe Wana instead. CBS looks like he's going to be cutting Wanamaker's minutes if people stay healthy. I could be wrong but I remember Wana also not playing much before our injuries started pilling up early season. He put him in and he played well so CBS kept playing him but like last season I don't think Wana is a part of the plan if people are healthy. Besides, I think his play has been pretty mediocre for a long stretch after he started off very good.

I will always root for the guys we have and trades aren't really my thing but if a guy is just for emergency, id like them replaced with people who could be more helpful on a nightly basis unless they are young/early in their careers. Wanamaker, because he's old and had the chance to prove he's solid and nothing more. Langford is only 20. I rather add a pick like the buck's  before sending the kid, especially in this situation.
I get that, Langford is young and both DA and Stevens seem to think quite highly of him. I'm not sure what opportunity he'll have here, but if they're confident in the potential then I get keeping him.

However, I think you might be undervaluing Bjelica. He's scoring 12PPG with elite efficiency, especially from three, and he's a solid rebounder and passer. I think he immediately addresses our shooting troubles as he's a simply elite shooter.

I think he's worth having a crack at because I think he really solidifies our bench, and I don't think he'd be expensive, but I get not wanting to give up on Romeo just yet.

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 05:29:42 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Happy to give up a 2nd round pick for Bjelica but a mid first rounder is huge overpay for such a limited player.

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 05:37:55 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Happy to give up a 2nd round pick for Bjelica but a mid first rounder is huge overpay for such a limited player.
Is he really that terrible? He's an elite shooter from all levels, is a solid rebounder and can pass pretty well. Granted his defence is weak, but Brad is one of the best at hiding weak defenders

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 05:44:46 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Is he really that terrible? He's an elite shooter from all levels, is a solid rebounder and can pass pretty well. Granted his defence is weak, but Brad is one of the best at hiding weak defenders

Bjelica is a middle of the road bench PF who starts because his team has no talent at his position. So he gets far more minutes and pads his numbers than he would elsewhere.

At 31 years of age.
Only under contract for 18months.

That level of talent is not worth a mid first rounder.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 05:48:49 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Look at the contenders around the league. The forward spots are a nightmare. It is the battle ground. You need guys who can matchup physically & athletically against this guys.

In the East, you have:
Philly - Al Horford, Toby Harris, Ben Simmons
Milwaukee - Giannis & Middleton

In the West:
LA Lakers: Anthony Davis & LeBron James
LA Clippers: Kawhi Leonard & Paul George

You don't want to give any of those guys a cakewalk of a matchup.

So how much in a playoff series against these teams can you even play a guy like Bjelica? Is a guy whose playing time has to be cut to shreds in big playoff series worth losing a mid first for? I don't think so.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 05:53:25 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I don't see him helping us, maybe he'd give us a 1 more regular season win and none in the playoffs.
Not worth our time as he can't defend.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 06:11:37 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
You might be right - I can’t say I’ve paid too much attention to him personally when I watch the Kings, all I’ve noted is his great shooting.

I think he might be a sell-low candidate for DA, but I probably am giving up too much with Romeo.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 06:31:31 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think  Bjelica could help us.

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 06:48:33 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Really just kinda bored
Are you bored because you have a day off from work, or did you just not watch the LAL game?  They won because they played great defense, and that was against a front-court of Davis, McGee and James.  This is the least bored I've been as a Celtics fans in weeks!  If they continue that kind of defense, there is no need for another big and certainly not one who is a poor defender.  Beyond that, giving up Langford is a non-starter in my book.

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 06:59:54 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Bjelica would be an upgrade.

He would play Center and PF with the Celts.

Doesn't matter if he's a starter or not, he will  help the Celts in the playoffs.

If Ainge doesn't trade for Drummond or Adams, Bjelica is the next best thing, if he's available.

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 07:08:27 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Really just kinda bored
Are you bored because you have a day off from work, or did you just not watch the LAL game?  They won because they played great defense, and that was against a front-court of Davis, McGee and James.  This is the least bored I've been as a Celtics fans in weeks!  If they continue that kind of defense, there is no need for another big and certainly not one who is a poor defender.  Beyond that, giving up Langford is a non-starter in my book.
Definitely the former - my timezone difference also means I missed that beautiful post-big win snooze!

I definitely agree with you about the defensive effort though. If we can play like that regularly against the elite teams then I don’t know if we need to add anything!

It was definitely premature of me to add Langford, I gotta concede that

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 08:44:42 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Really just kinda bored
Definitely the former - my timezone difference also means I missed that beautiful post-big win snooze!

I definitely agree with you about the defensive effort though. If we can play like that regularly against the elite teams then I don’t know if we need to add anything!

It was definitely premature of me to add Langford, I gotta concede that

Yeah, Bjelly is interesting as a shooter off the bench, but Langford is too rich. We had another thread proposing Semi, Poirier, and the Bucks pick for him, or maybe a second-rounder, and it raised a good question about the team's philosophy/direction. If we're going to be playing 8 in the playoffs, do you want that last guy to be a shooter or a defender. Semi, as a bench player, is a pretty good and fairly versatile defender. It could sting to lose him.

If we could get away with giving them another young player - say, Edwards, Poirier, and the Bucks pick - I'd definitely be on board. Don't know if they'd take it. That would really be a concession for them that their time is down the road and I'm not sure I see it. Semi at least could be a defense-first rotation piece right now of comparable quality to Bjelly.

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2020, 09:15:05 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Bjelica is the kind of guy that would be good on a legit contender.  I don't think that is Boston so I wouldn't give up any potential long term pieces to get him.  If it is Poirier and other salary filler and a 2nd rounder or 2, then sure, but adding in Langford or any other real asset doesn't make a lot of sense. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip