Author Topic: Interesting trade idea?  (Read 6238 times)

Interesting trade idea?
« on: January 19, 2020, 05:27:29 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I hadn't seen this one before but it makes some sense for all three teams...

"NBA Rumors: Andre Drummond To Celtics, Gordon Hayward To Mavericks In A Proposed Three-Team Trade"

https://fadeawayworld.net/2020/01/19/nba-rumors-andre-drummond-to-celtics-gordon-hayward-to-mavericks-in-a-proposed-three-team-trade/

Re: Interesting trade idea?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 05:53:54 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Getting Drummond is so cheap right now.

The Pistons know and all of the NBA knows Drummond will opt out after the season.

That's why it's not worth it for teams like NY and Atlanta to surrender 1st round picks.
Both NY and Atlanta said no to Detroit in a deal for Drummond.

This will open the door for the Celtics.

Once Drummond hits free-agency, Celts will not have the cap space to sign him to a near max contract.

But Celts can trade for him now and if it works out then he can sign an extension with the Celts.

I think it's worth the risk.

Celts already have Brown and Tatum, there's just no need for Hayward and his 32m per year contract.

Hayward is a luxury, Drummond is a need.

Trade luxury for a need.

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 05:57:04 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

The Pistons know and all of the NBA knows Drummond will opt out after the season.

That's why it's not worth it for teams like NY and Atlanta to surrender 1st round picks.

Once Drummond hits free-agency, Celts will not have the cap space to sign him to a near max contract.

But Celts can trade for him now and if it works out then he can sign an extension with the Celts.

Celts already have Brown and Tatum, there's just no need for Hayward and his 32m per year contract.

Trade luxury for a need.
Just because you keep beating this drum doesn’t make any of it actually true.

We don’t need a big rebounder with average defence who can’t space the floor, with average passing and bad turnover numbers. Drummond is an antiquated big who will not help us.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 06:02:09 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Trade luxury for a need.
Just because you keep beating this drum doesn’t make any of it actually true.

We don’t need a big rebounder with average defence who can’t space the floor, with average passing and bad turnover numbers. Drummond is an antiquated big who will not help us.

Like I said, it's not just Drummond.

Steven Adams and Gallinari for Hayward, Kanter, Poirier, and Langford works as well.

If you don't like Drummond then let's go for Adams.

The point is if it's a playoff game, Game 3 or Game 5, who will sit on the bench, among the core 5, in the last 5 minutes of the 4th?

Will it be Smart?

Hayward?

Brown?

Celts have 5 players who are considered the core 5.

So if Theis is playing Center then that means one of the core 5 must sit out the last 5 minutes of the 4th.

That's such a waste of talent.

So why not convert Hayward into Adams so that you'll have a lineup of Kemba, Smart, Brown, Tatum, and Adams.

Move Theis to the bench where he belongs.

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 06:03:51 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
And please don't tell me that Smart will play Center.

What a joke of a lineup if it's Kemba, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, and Smart at Center.

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 06:10:59 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Fierce you’re  beating the same drum.
Unless embiid and Giannis go down we are not going anywhere in the playoffs.
I’d say let’s go after Nurkic. He may not contribute this year but next year we will be settting the nba on fire!
Something like this works:
Romeo+Poirier+Timelord+Green for
Nurkic
Then Portland send Gabriel and Hezonja for which we don’t have to match salaries.
We get out big man for next year while blazers get under the luxury and possibly build for the future..
I think that’s better than sending Hayward at his lowest value for the overated Drummond

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 06:18:02 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Fierce you’re  beating the same drum.
Unless embiid and Giannis go down we are not going anywhere in the playoffs.
I’d say let’s go after Nurkic. He may not contribute this year but next year we will be settting the nba on fire!
Something like this works:
Romeo+Poirier+Timelord+Green for
Nurkic
Then Portland send Gabriel and Hezonja for which we don’t have to match salaries.
We get out big man for next year while blazers get under the luxury and possibly build for the future..
I think that’s better than sending Hayward at his lowest value for the overated Drummond

Like I said, we'll get our final answer in 2 and a half weeks.

The time to build for the future ended when Ainge gave Horford, Hayward, and Kemba max contracts.

Right now the Blazers are shopping Whiteside to avoid paying the tax.

Besides, it's a defeatist attitude to say that we're no match for Philly and the Bucks when it's still January.

If Toronto had that mentality last season then they would not have won a championship.

Go back and check last season's predictions.

No one predicted the Raptors would win the 2019 championship.

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 06:33:40 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Well, when trading our valued players, all of whom I like and am a big fan of, I certainly want it to be to a good situation.  This one checks that box. 

As for good idea or not...I dunno.  Seems good in a logical sense...just don't have a good sense of Drummond.  Can we give Theis minutes at PF?  Next to Kanter or Drummond?  I don't believe I've ever seen Theis next to Kanter on the court.  I'm sure it's happened though. 

The best of Hayward is way better and worth more than Drummond.  But when Hayward is subdued by aches, pains or slump, though he's still very good, Drummond's value would eclipse I'd think.

So I leave it up to others with an emphatic: I have no clue if this would be wise!!!   

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 06:38:35 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Well, when trading our valued players, all of whom I like and am a big fan of, I certainly want it to be to a good situation.  This one checks that box. 

As for good idea or not...I dunno.  Seems good in a logical sense...just don't have a good sense of Drummond.  Can we give Theis minutes at PF?  Next to Kanter or Drummond?  I don't believe I've ever seen Theis next to Kanter on the court.  I'm sure it's happened though. 

The best of Hayward is way better and worth more than Drummond.  But when Hayward is subdued by aches, pains or slump, though he's still very good, Drummond's value would eclipse I'd think.

So I leave it up to others with an emphatic: I have no clue if this would be wise!!!

It's wise because Jaylen Brown is already better than Hayward.

Hayward = luxury

Drummond = a need

Celts will not win many games without a true Center.

Some of the Celtic fans didn't believe Sabonis and Jarrett Allen were dominating the Celtics in so many ways.

The game against the Suns showed us how comical it is to use undersized guys like Theis and GWill against Ayton.

So is it wise to trade a luxury for a need?

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 06:45:23 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I do it in a second!!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 08:28:55 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
If the Celtics traded Hayward and got back Drummond, I think it would improve the team.  I had to look it up but two things surprised me.  First, Drummond is only 26.  Second, he is only 6'-10". 

If the Celtics wanted to stay with the one big approach, our main line up would be:

Walker
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Drummond

So Drummond replaces Theis (a big upgrade) and Smart replaces Hayward.  That is a big net plus.  With Drummond in and Hayward out, the Celtics may go to more of a two big line up as the main line up.  That line up might look like:

Walker
Smart or Brown
Tatum
Theis
Drummond

I understand that we lose some playmaking depth but our first or main unit gets much better.  I take that trade off.

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 08:41:56 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Multiple posters have almost said it. I'll say it now.

Stop beating the same drum(mond).

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 09:02:15 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Celtics Get: Myles Turner, TJ Warren
Pacers Get: Hayward, Langford, Memphis pick, 22 Celtics pick

Sending Hayward home is a guilt free way of trading him.

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 09:05:28 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I don't have Drummond fever after watching our two games against Detroit.

Maybe he's a little better than Kanter. Maybe. At more than five times the price. He didn't intimidate anybody at the rim, he's not better at defending in space, and while he's a great rebounder Kanter's no slouch there himself. Where's the big upgrade?

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 09:13:32 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I almost forgot two more points of comparison.

1. Drummond is a terrible free-throw shooter, which makes him hard to leave in at crunch time.

2. Enes this year is much more efficient on offense.

What's the appeal of adding a less-skilled-on-offense Kanter II to the roster?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_select=Andre+Drummond&y1=2020&player_id1=drumman01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Enes+Kanter&player_id2_select=Enes+Kanter&y2=2020&player_id2=kanteen01&idx=players