Author Topic: When Trae Young forces his way out of Atlanta will The Celtics be ready?  (Read 1512 times)

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
When Trae Young forces his way out of a really bad team in Atlanta will the Celtics have the cap room or the trade assets to be ready for him. It's going to take some monumental moves to fix that broken Atlanta squad. Memphis was in a similar boat to The Hawks and are sitting in the 8th spot ( unfortunately for us) in the west with a very young roster.

Re: When Trae Young forces his way out of Atlanta will The Celtics be ready?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 05:35:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think Young-Huerter-Reddish-Hunter-Collins has potential as a core 5. However, I don’t trust Atlanta to manage it well at all.

They have control over Trae for years though - very hard for a youngster to force himself off a bad team (example: AD)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 05:47:21 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I'd much rather plan for acquiring Luka Doncic in the future than Trae Young

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 05:53:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'd much rather plan for acquiring Luka Doncic in the future than Trae Young
Me too, but I’m not sure how possible that is sadly. They’re winning a lot of games, and Dallas have a max slot coming up in a couple of years. If they add a third star they could be looking at a potential dynasty.

I’m not even sure I want Trae at all. His defence is horrendous.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 06:00:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I dont know if I'd be in a huge hurry to give up major assets for such a defensive liability.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 06:32:50 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
ATL isn’t going to be this bad for much longer. I really like the young core of their team, especially since they’ll be getting another top 5 pick to add to it. They should target Wiseman or Edwards - they don’t need another PG alongside Young, and I don’t think Ball would be a good fit there.

Celts probably want to keep Kemba for this next 4-5 years anyways, so little chance of that happening.

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 06:37:55 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Hmm ... I think they are in pretty good shape long term. They are going through some short term pain but they are still looking good down the road.

Trae Young is a legit star. A very talented offensive player. One of the top perimeter players in the league offensively already as a 2nd year player. John Collins is a really good sidekick. Reminds me a bit of Shawn Marion with his ability to put up numbers in the flow of the offense without needing lots of plays run for him / touches. Add a 3rd star to slot alongside them (either a center or a wing) and then you have a solid Big Three to build around.

They have two young rookie wings in Hunter and Reddish. They are struggling today but lots of rookies struggle their first year in the league. No reason to write them off long term as contributors.

Huerter is a solid young role player.

That is a lot of young pieces to work with. Add to that what I believe is a good cap situation. No terrible deals there spring to mind at least.

They have an excellent chance at building a very good team there over the next few years.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 06:50:48 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Hmm ... I think they are in pretty good shape long term. They are going through some short term pain but they are still looking good down the road.

Trae Young is a legit star. A very talented offensive player. One of the top perimeter players in the league offensively already as a 2nd year player. John Collins is a really good sidekick. Reminds me a bit of Shawn Marion with his ability to put up numbers in the flow of the offense without needing lots of plays run for him / touches. Add a 3rd star to slot alongside them (either a center or a wing) and then you have a solid Big Three to build around.

They have two young rookie wings in Hunter and Reddish. They are struggling today but lots of rookies struggle their first year in the league. No reason to write them off long term as contributors.

Huerter is a solid young role player.

That is a lot of young pieces to work with. Add to that what I believe is a good cap situation. No terrible deals there spring to mind at least.

They have an excellent chance at building a very good team there over the next few years.

Trae Young a legit star? Don’t tell Celticsblog that! He’s a bad player! Maintain the narrative!

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 07:42:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Trae Young would probably have to do this after getting a max extension as he maxes out his money that way. That means that we are probably 4 years away from Trae forcing his way out of Atlanta.

Pretty stupid to even try to consider attempting to keep things fluid so the C's could have a chance 4 years down the line of landing Young.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 08:01:20 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I certainly hope so, I think he has Nash potential (strong MVP candidate). But it's stupid to think that Atlanta will let him go imo, he's an excellent young piece that will supercharge any viable NBA talent to the upper stratosphere on offence.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 08:16:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Edit