Author Topic: Nemanja Bjelica trade ideas  (Read 5977 times)

Nemanja Bjelica trade ideas
« on: January 08, 2020, 01:08:24 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
John Karalis has been talking about Bjelly as a potential Celtics trade target. It makes sense to me - what do you think?

The case for the Celts:

* Spacing and bench scoring - he's shooting .413 from 3 this year on 4.5 attempts/game. While he may come down from that number, he ended the last two years above .400 so that may well be sustainable. He's also 6'10", which helps in getting that shot off.

* He rebounds reasonably well, TRB 13.2%, a bit better than Jaylen or Jayson.

* He's on a contract the Cs can match without giving up a key asset - just under $7 million - and the Kings may not need a huge haul to part with him. Their season is slipping away, and he's 32 years old - doesn't fit their timeline. Might we be able to get him with, say, Semi, Poirier, and Boston or Milwaukee's late first rounder?  If they turn NB into a first rounder and a possible rotation player - they certainly could use some defense from a guy like Semi, maybe that's a win for them. We certainly can afford to let those guys go and we don't exactly need to add a late first-rounder.

Downsides?

* He's not much on defense, despite his height. But if we want scoring from the second unit and we're running him out against other teams' second-line bigs that shouldn't be a problem.

* He might take minutes from players Boston wants to develop. This is where I guess you decide whether you think we have a shot this year. If you do, and you are worried about bench scoring, sacrificing some development is reasonable. Having him draw a big out to the three point line while our main players run pick and rolls, drive and kick, has some appeal. A consistent 40%+ 3-point shooter isn't easy to ignore.

OK board- why is this a terrible idea?

(Edit: think of him as a middle class man's Davis Bertans - for whom the price is likely to be higher.)

Re: Nemanja Bjelica?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 01:19:43 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Bjelica would be a nice get for the bench and add another scoring dimension, plus his salary is doable. And I think Tommy may know how to pronounce his name by now. We know Philly likes him so we could keep him away from them too.

However, I might be reluctant to give up Semi for him, who's no great shakes but unlike Bjelica is a body we can legit throw at Giannis and other superathletic bigger guys. Perilously few of those.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 01:24:29 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Yes.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 01:26:28 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
almost yes.....yes under certain circumstances....but still no for now.   ;D

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 01:33:59 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Not first rounders. Not worth it.

Undecided on giving up Semi for Bjelica. It is more swapping one strength/problem for a different strength/problem. A largely one dimensional defensive stopper or a largely one dimensional offensive player (spot up shooter).

Semi with his improved three point shot this year has an argument that he is already more of a two way player than Bjelica is. Nevermind that is younger and can still improve further (second argument). And a third argument that Semi is more valuable in matching up with bigger front lines due to his superior physical strength, lateral quickness and defensive skills.

I'd like to have both Semi and Bjelica on the roster so you can choose how to matchup. Do you need the offensive guy or the defensive guy? What do the matchups dictate? Like Stevens can do with the center position.

Both guys are too one-dimensional that they need someone with an opposite skill-set available to call upon when that one dimension isn't needed / a different dimension is needed for the job.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 02:36:48 PM by Who »

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 01:50:13 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

Undecided on giving up Semi for Bjelica. It is more swapping one strength/problem for a strength/problem. A largely one dimensional defensive stopper or a largely one dimensional offensive player (spot up shooter).

Semi with his improved three point shot this year has an argument that he is already more of a two way player than Bjelica is. Nevermind that is younger and can still improve further (second argument). And a third argument that Semi is more valuable in matching up with bigger front lines due to his superior physical strength, lateral quickness and defensive skills.

I'd like to have both Semi and Bjelica on the roster so you can choose how to matchup. Do you need the offensive guy or the defensive guy? What do the matchups dictate? Like Stevens can do with the center position.

Both guys are too one-dimensional that they need someone with an opposite skill-set available to call upon when that one dimension isn't needed / a different dimension is needed for the job.

This is a good synopsis of why I said no for now above.  Especially the bolded.

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 01:52:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I like Bjelly a lot, but I think how I come down on this is that I'd rather that we try to get more minutes and experience for Timelord and GRANT instead of giving up assets to get a guy for one playoff run.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 02:59:06 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Heck yes!!!we need bench scoring badly!!! Carson, Semi, Wanamaker, Romeo and both Williams are not any scoring help..Don’t need those late picks anyhow so trade one of them..weak draft class
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 03:03:32 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Undecided on giving up Semi for Bjelica. It is more swapping one strength/problem for a strength/problem. A largely one dimensional defensive stopper or a largely one dimensional offensive player (spot up shooter).

Even if it's the Milwaukee pick, which is probably going to be the last pick of the first round? Pick #30 is slightly less valuable than pick #31-#35.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 03:04:55 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I like Bjelly a lot, but I think how I come down on this is that I'd rather that we try to get more minutes and experience for Timelord and GRANT instead of giving up assets to get a guy for one playoff run.

Now I'm not saying Bjelica is the guy to trade for, but I think the C's have too many "assets" now.

14 players under contract for next year + 3 1sts.  Only player not under contract for next season is Wanamaker.    And that's not including the Two-Ways.

With the Two-Way guys, I believe both Tacko and Waters contracts are for 1 year.  Waters is definitely getting a contract offer from somebody next year, and some crappy team might try to create some fan excitement and sign Tacko.

Of the 17 guys the C's have now, I think they'll only be able to bring back 12-13 next year (maybe Tacko takes another 2 way, maybe Grizz pick rolls over?).  Which 4 guys do you want to drop? (Everybody probably says Poirier, after that people probably argue over Wanamaker, Ojeleye, Green, Edwards, Fall, Waters).  Even dropping 4 guys still leaves no room to sign any vets, unless of course there's other trade(s).

Either trade some assets, or lose some for nothing.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 03:19:36 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Even if it's the Milwaukee pick, which is probably going to be the last pick of the first round? Pick #30 is slightly less valuable than pick #31-#35.

This is not necessarily correct.  It is correct sometimes, but certainly not always.

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 03:32:00 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Another plus about trading for Bjelica this year, assuming the C's trade out a couple of smaller salaries to do it (Poirier+Ojeleye works) is that it gives the C's another trade chip next year.  His salary next year is $7.15m.

As we know, playing around with trades for the C's is difficult, because nobody wants to give up a core player, so you end up having to offer a 4-1 just to get something to go through in the trade machine to get back a player we'd want to bring off the bench.

Having Bjelica and his salary could very possiblly make future trades easier/more likely.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 04:30:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Now I'm not saying Bjelica is the guy to trade for, but I think the C's have too many "assets" now.

14 players under contract for next year + 3 1sts.  Only player not under contract for next season is Wanamaker.    And that's not including the Two-Ways.

With the Two-Way guys, I believe both Tacko and Waters contracts are for 1 year.  Waters is definitely getting a contract offer from somebody next year, and some crappy team might try to create some fan excitement and sign Tacko.

Of the 17 guys the C's have now, I think they'll only be able to bring back 12-13 next year (maybe Tacko takes another 2 way, maybe Grizz pick rolls over?).  Which 4 guys do you want to drop? (Everybody probably says Poirier, after that people probably argue over Wanamaker, Ojeleye, Green, Edwards, Fall, Waters).  Even dropping 4 guys still leaves no room to sign any vets, unless of course there's other trade(s).

Either trade some assets, or lose some for nothing.

They may have too many assets, but I don't think any of them need to be traded during this season.

We know that Kemba, Brown, Tatum, and Smart are locked in for at least another year after this one. 

Hayward is a question mark.

There's a lot Danny could do with the supporting cast.  Obviously it would be nice to add some shooting and get an upgrade at the 4 or 5 spot. 

At any rate, I think the team is in a pretty good spot the way it is constructed for this season.  I wouldn't give up any significant assets for the sake of a short term upgrade.  The Celtics by most measures look like a genuine contender, despite the fact that they don't have a guy who is a clear cut top 10 player. 

Still, they're probably not among the top tier of teams with the best chance at actually winning it all this year.  I dont' think the difference between making the Finals and losing in the 2nd or 3rd round is going to be a guy like Bjelica.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 04:42:28 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

Not in love with pick 30.  But I assume it could be used in another trade with better long term value.  Moving up....moving back....part of a larger deal...etc. Danny may love a guy who's there at 20-22...and combine our two late picks. But, let's see....wouldn't complain if it did happen. I just don't know enough about the guy.  I think his age was a downer to me. 
If R Williams is healthy and our bigs are generally healthy...then we're sort of set up to have either Hayward or Tatum at PF at all times...(aside from occasional two-big lineup...in which case Just use Theis at PF)

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 04:44:47 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Fair points. One clarification - which maybe you got - is that I'm only proposing one of the late picks. I think that's enough to get him, esp with Ojeleye included. And we don't want to absorb three more 1st round picks next year, so we should be looking to find something useful to trade for.

I'm still mildly team Bjelly. He's got a three-year record of 40%+ three-point shooting, and critically, he has games where he can go off. He's had 20-30 point games, when he's just on fire. That could actually win us some games. In our deep runs there are always role players who get hot and win a game or two. I see that potential for him - a really tall Eddie House or better-shooting Kelly O (remember game 7!). I worry a little about losing Semi against Giannis, if we meet him, but net I think we're a lot deeper in that kind of wing defense. In addition to Jaylen and Marcus (who also bothered Giannis mightily) I don't see Grant as that far off. And it's only one matchup, against one team.

As others pointed out, we'd also get his salary for a couple more years, for matching purposes. It's not just giving away the asset for this year (though that's the main reason I'd be interested in him).